Drum Corps Spectator: Hearing Protection Required

I don't know 1 single person who . . . .

My experience = the reality for the entire world.

I've got hearing loss and everlasting ringing in the ears. It's all on the mild side, more irritating than debilitating, but with age it has become more pronounced. To my doc it was no mystery: years in the drum line and, later, rock gigs, all of them without ear protection. It catches up with you.

Especially in close quarters, mainly during winter camps indoors, plugs/filters actually help with hearing the rest of the ensemble; most of the rumble is filtered out, making it possible to focus on the attacks and individual notes. Wish I had worn them.

Edited by 2muchcoffeeman
  • Like 1

Classical Music Musicians risks of potential hearing loss ( also quite high ) :

http://www.hear-it.org/Classical-musicians-at-extreme-risk-for-hearing-loss

Be careful with interpreting data from a new toy. Much more goes into evaluating levels of db protection required than just looking at the one aspect of your results. For example all of the following info must also be considered: Amount of continuous time ears were exposed to sound levels above 90db; Amount of time exposed to the max sound produced; Any immediate spikes of short bursts above 140 db; Amount of continuous rest time the ears received at or below 60 db; etc...; So, my advice would be show the entire data collected to a certified audiologist.

This is just raw data and I am not trying to over analyze anything. When it is hot outside I look at a thermometer to see how hot and I better get some water. If the show is loud now I know how loud and I better protect my hearing. Simple.

Edited by Fr. Andrew

I've been going to live shows since 1979. I've been a marching band director (as well as college professor, director of bands), and only recently (about 2 years ago) I began to get a little ringing in my left ear. I am 51 now, so for 37 years now I've been in front of corps and bands. I'd say after 34 of those is when the continuous ringing finally crept in. It's not horrible, and I can live with it, but I know longer look for the middle section, mid way up sweet spot for volume and projection when it comes to tickets.

I think each fan, marching member, and/or director/staff member needs to know their body and routinely have their hearing checked as they get older. It is unlikely to have much of an effect on younger folks. There are exceptions. But as you get into your 40s I do advise having your hearing checked and taking precautions when necessary.

If you still love drum corps but don't want to be in harms way anymore, I advise buying seats on the 20s or 30s and sitting as high as possible. While not optimal, it's still fun, and you're still supporting the activity.

The issue, unfortunately, is that the damage which only manifests when you're older is done while you are younger. If you wait until your 40s to wear earplugs and are a regular participant in this activity, it's likely the damage is already done. That is what makes it so hard to convince the young folks to wear the earplugs - although the culture is definitely changing.

• Like 1

Marching Band participants risk for future hearing loss problems ( unless precautions taken ) is also extraordinarily high compared to the general population at large that is not involved in Marching Band.

Source : http://www.imaginears.com/marching-band-musicians-are-at-high-risk-for-hearing-loss/

Edited by BRASSO

I have documented hearing loss but I've spent the last 9 years working on jet engines so that pretty much explains it for me lol. Good research though and protect your hearing! It is a valuable asset for those who love music.

Edited by DasTuba
  • Like 1

At Massillon last Saturday, the sound was frequently too loud and a few times almost painfully so. At Dublin last night, it was fine, perhaps even a touch too soft at big moments.

• Like 1

At Massillon last Saturday, the sound was frequently too loud and a few times almost painfully so. At Dublin last night, it was fine, perhaps even a touch too soft at big moments.

The Massillon show can often feel indoors. It's that kind of setting with such good acoustics, and couple that with early season volume in which the instructors often let the horn lines "cut loose" and you have some incredible volume. I agree with you. Crown at times sounded like a jet had just turned to take off in front of us.

I have hearing loss... Doc says combination of indoor practicing in enclosed halls, military explosions, and increasing age played a role ( also genetics). The numbers of Rock Musicians that have suffered some degree of hearing loss as a result of long term, excessive high decibels crammed into their heating canal is numerous. The fact that you don't know this does not mean they arn't out there. They are. Also, the sheer numbers of rock musicians ( heck, even musicians of all genres ) that now utilize ear plugs should tell you how convinced they are by the plethora of scientific data of the undeniable long term damage to their hearing that repetitive and excessive decibels into their hearing canal can pose to their future hearing abilities.

Ok. Thanks for the info Brasso.

• Like 1