Any lock for Top 3?

This post is so flawed. You cannot compare scores from different shows. Anyone who thinks BD isn't out front now is a fool, IMO. I am not a BD fan what-so-ever and their constant winning annoys the F out of me, but they are best - through and through - the best! Don't be surprised if BD 2 points Bloo and Crown when they first meet up. I'd love to see Bloo, SCV or Crown win this year, but my money is on those pesky Blue Devils :)

Yes, but then why are you in this thread? :tounge2:

I suppose my phraseology:

all-things-being-equal-which-they-are-not, including judging panels, difficulty vs. 'cleanability' of shows, staff, etc., etc.

could be interpreted many ways, but what I meant was exactly what you said. You can't compare different shows. Yet here we are in this thread, doing exactly that. Crazy, right?

I like how you conclude that BD is way ahead based on even less evidence, except their general awesomeness. By your standard they are way ahead before the season begins. Yet they fail to win the championship every 2-3 years. In fact they've never 3-peated, although they've 2-peated five times. So they tend to fall back the third year. I'm not betting the house on them.

Edited by Pete Freedman

could be interpreted many ways, but what I meant was exactly what you said. You can't compare different shows. Yet here we are in this thread, doing exactly that. Crazy, right?

I like how you conclude that BD is way ahead based on even less evidence, except their general awesomeness. By your standard they are way ahead before the season begins. Yet they fail to win the championship every 2-3 years. In fact they've never 3-peated, although they've 2-peated five times. So they tend to fall back the third year. I'm not betting the house on them.

I don't think taking home a silver medal is considered a fail. But this is why i hope BD loses a few times this year, to keep them humble and motivated. Going into finals week without a regional win and then sitting in 4th after QF was probaly the best thing for them last year. But you are correct in that BD is not way out in front. Neither is Crown/Coats/Cadets. We won't know till San Antonio or the Dekalb/Warrensburg TOC's at the earliest.

Edited by Chief Guns

I don't think taking home a silver medal is considered a fail. But this is why i hope BD loses a few times this year, to keep them humble and motivated. Going into finals week without a regional win and then sitting in 4th after QF was probaly the best thing for them last year. But you are correct in that BD is not way out in front. Neither is Crown/Coats/Cadets. We won't know till San Antonio or the Dekalb/Warrensburg TOC's at the earliest.

I agree with all of this. I predict (and hope) that the ToC and Regional winners won't all be the same corps at least. We'll see.

Why are you on this thread :silly:

BD is sensational. There is not one single weak link, design or execution wise. I 100% hope they don't win this year. I'd love to see Bluecoats, SCV or Crown win, but if I had to wager money, I would wager it on BD. IMO, it will be really tough for anyone to beat them. They have the ability to win every single caption and every single sub-caption. No other corps does. Period. Bluecoats have never won a caption at finals, Crown has no shot at percussion, Cadets can win percussion and brass, but I feel they will suffer from a GE and Visual standpoint. SCV can win percussion, place very high in guard, but I'm not sure their much improved brassline is going to finish higher than 5th. Everyone, except BD, has a weak link.

Edited by henry7184
  • Like 2

BD is sensational. There is not one single weak link, design or execution wise. I 100% hope they don't win this year. I'd love to see Bluecoats, SCV or Crown win, but if I had to wager money, I would wager it on BD. IMO, it will be really tough for anyone to beat them. They have the ability to win every single caption and every single sub-caption. No other corps does. Period. Bluecoats have never won a caption at finals, Crown has no shot at percussion, Cadets can win percussion and brass, but I feel they will suffer from a GE and Visual standpoint. SCV can win percussion, place very high in guard, but I'm not sure their much improved brassline is going to finish higher than 5th. Everyone, except BD, has a weak link.

Henry I don't always agree but I do agree with you here. As great as Coats are they have to win captions. The other night the only caption award so far this year was in a show they were in and high percussion went to Cadets. This could be the year Coats win some captions but that has yet to be proven. Crown obviously has a shot at guard, brass and GE. Cadets at Brass and Percussion... you have to win some captions to take down BD and right now they clearly have the strong hand.

Just to note: 2015 Finals BD vs Bloo - Brass BD +.1, Perc BD +.15, Guard/Visual BD +.4, Total GE BD +.05, Total BD +.75
I'm not sure folks remember just how close Bloo came to topping BD in brass, drums and GE. I suspect that the deficit in visual is part of the reason that Bloo is shooting for the moon in their visual program this year. I admire the effort, we'll have to see how it pans out. Could really click or fizzle over the season though I'm encouraged by the late surges of the past 2 years and starting from a stronger position this year. I admit that I'm rooting for Bloo pull it off, though they'll really have to earn it against some great competition. You still have to give BD the edge until proven otherwise.

Cadets won't suffer GE by end season but I agree with everything else you said and very rarely do.

This. BD just has it all. They not only win captions, but they don't do poorly in any as well. BD recap sheets are almost all 1s, 2s and 3s. Rarely do you see a 4 or 5. The captions they don't win, it's by a tenth or two.

This. BD just has it all. They not only win captions, but they don't do poorly in any as well. BD recap sheets are almost all 1s, 2s and 3s. Rarely do you see a 4 or 5. The captions they don't win, it's by a tenth or two.

Agreed.

Until BD, Crown, Bluecoats meet up in their head to head competition in a few weeks, nobody here knows nuttin' ( haha!)

But sure, BD has to be given the benefit of the doubt, as they are the twice defending champions, and BD feasts on DCI Titles like a fox feasts on an open chicken coop.