Mantology in Mankato - 6 July 2016, Mankato, MN

Sounds to me like the DCI new policy for the judges is working as intended.

If fans ( and judges ) can't gauge anything from nite to nite.... then praise the lord.... its happening, and its LONG overdue, imo. Anything that upsets the placement applecart, and the placement status quo that DCI is so known for, is as refreshing as a cold frosty on a hot day, in my view.

It was very warm today in NJ..

I do my best on here.

Before the season started, I did tell everyone on here that this DCI season would be noted for its, quote, unprecedented volatility in the season's scores. I gave the reasons why, too, then told everyone to. quote, fasten your seatbelts, as fans were in for a rollercoaster ride. The fact that some posters state with increasing frequency that the scores in any given show were "not what I was expecting" means, it appears, I still have more convincing to do, apparently.

You're such a Cassandra.

I'm not Crown fan, but their score seems like BS unless they had a terrible run through tonight. My guess is that is not the case. Just more evidence that DCI still has tremendous inconsistencies in their judging. Either it's a training issue or lack of balance between veteran and rookie judges at a single event.

DCI goes out of their way, takes unprecedented steps, moves way out on a limb, to expose the unpleasant truth that the judges are human, thus inconsistent, but are no longer easily able to "slot" corps, and all people do is complain about it. :tounge2:

• Like 2

DCI goes out of their way, takes unprecedented steps, moves way out on a limb, to expose the unpleasant truth that the judges are human, thus inconsistent, but are no longer easily able to "slot" corps, and all people do is complain about it. :tounge2:

rookie judge -- #$*# happens :-)

If people here are comparing scores from different nights, different shows, and they are frustrated with the scores they see, then I really don't have a scintilla of sympathy for them. Seriously. They are apparently chronically heedless, and as a result of this, they have richly deserved their personal frustrations with this "compare the scores from around the country" sheetshow exercise they foolishly engage in each season (lol!).

I think "chronically heedless" is one of your best turns of phrase to date. Bravo.

• Like 1

Ok... here's a prediction for those bummed out on the Corps scores here in Mini Soda.

The next judge panel where these Corps perform will have a Come to Jesus Moment, and they'll " make an adjustment ", and all these Corps here tonite will get a 3-4 point bump in score, and all will be right with the World's Axis again.

Trust me on this. I know this game well.

Ok... here's a prediction for those bummed out on the Corps scores here in Mini Soda.

The next judge panel where these Corps perform will have a Come to Jesus Moment, and they'll " make an adjustment ", and all these Corps here tonite will get a 3-4 point bump in score, and all will be right with the World's Axis again.

Trust me on this. I know this game well.

This.

I am THRILLED about the scores being unpredictable. As others have said, I am looking at spreads at individual shows--not comparing one show's scores to another's. I have always thought way TOO LITTLE consideration was given to true show dynamics regarding judge reactions:

--Temperature;

--Field (thick grass, short grass, flat field, turf, etc.);

--Press box distance from field;

--Press box open or with windows (wide windows, small windows, etc.);

--Corps performing in the dark, light, dusk, etc.;

--Day after rest;

--Day after changes;

--Day after a "rehearsal beating";

--Show order;

--Humidity;

--Bus issues;

--Good warm-up/bad warm-up;

--Bad electronic run;

And many other "show dynamics".

To play devil's advocate, perhaps what is happening is EXACTLY what we have all been wanting. No recaps, less slotting. Reacting to the true performance of that evening and that evening alone, equaling more diverse and varied spreads.

I expect this to all become more evened out as time passes, as changes lessen, and comfort levels of both performer and judge increase.

I love the added excitement and do not see it as a complete reflection of poor judging or a poor system.

Well said.

You're such a Cassandra.

Jeez... you're probably right, come to think of it, N.E. Brigand... haha!... (although, that'd make me the SON of Priam, not his daughter) .