Mantology in Mankato - 6 July 2016, Mankato, MN

Scores are getting a bit out of hand. Yeah can't compare from show to show but honestly this is making it not too interesting until Minnesota or really San Antonio.

Scores are getting a bit out of hand. Yeah can't compare from show to show but honestly this is making it not too interesting until Minnesota or really San Antonio.

Yeah Minnesota is kind of not a regional with Crown, Cadets, Bluecoats all missing the show.

Edited by corpsband

Kind of proving the point that this summer isn't really interesting for the next two weeks.

All these posts about judging the show you see and unpredictable scores...ugh. How bout a little more adjudicator training and accountability. Someone mentioned all the variables from show to show...press box and grass and distance from field and all that. If a judge isn't smart enough to take those factors into consideration then they shouldn't be out there. These scores are about judges not being fully trained and fully qualified to judge a particular caption. And this all starts at the top with leadership lacking management skills and the ability to hold people accountable.

Yeah Minnesota is kind of not a regional with Crown, Cadets, Bluecoats all missing the show.

Speaking of this, I find this extremely interesting.

DCI Southwestern Championship

Presented by Fred J. Miller, Inc.

San Antonio, TX | Saturday, July 23, 2016

Listed in alphabetical order. Draw based on Denver/Minneapolis finish.

This is from the schedule on DCI website. Crown, Bluecoats, and Cadets will not be at either of the Denver/Minneapolis shows. So I wonder how that will work for them?

Speaking of this, I find this extremely interesting.

DCI Southwestern Championship

Presented by Fred J. Miller, Inc.

San Antonio, TX | Saturday, July 23, 2016

Listed in alphabetical order. Draw based on Denver/Minneapolis finish.

This is from the schedule on DCI website. Crown, Bluecoats, and Cadets will not be at either of the Denver/Minneapolis shows. So I wonder how that will work for them?

I might be way off, but in this case do they take last years final placements?

I am THRILLED about the scores being unpredictable. As others have said, I am looking at spreads at individual shows-

not comparing one show's scores to another's. I have always thought way TOO LITTLE consideration was given to

true show dynamics regarding judge reactions:

Temperature

Field (thick grass, short grass, flat field, turf, etc.)

Press box distance from field

Press box open or with windows (wide windows, small windows, etc.)

Corps performing in the dark, light, dusk, etc.

Day after rest

Day after changes

Day after a "rehearsal beating"

Show order

Humidity

Bus issues

Good warm-up/bad warm-up

Bad electronic run

And many other "show dynamics"

To play devil's advocate, perhaps what is happening is EXACTLY what we have all been wanting. No recaps, less slotting.

Reacting to the true performance of that evening and that evening alone, equaling more diverse and varied spreads.

I expect this to all become more evened out as time passes, as changes lessen, and comfort levels of both performer and

judge increase.

I love the added excitement and do not see it as a complete reflection of poor judging or a poor system.

Except, aren't corps basically finishing in consistent orders with respect to other corps they have gone head to head with before? The main difference in this year seems to be different scales from show to show, not different orders of finish or, in most cases, terribly different spreads.

Might this suggest that the judges have been pretty fair all along with respect to comparing the corps in front of them to each other? Perhaps their awareness of recent recaps served more to help ensure their relatively fair comparisons were calibrated into a reasonably consistent scale of measurement accross different shows.

If people here are comparing scores from different nites, different shows, and they are frustrated with the scores they see, then I really don't have a scintilla of sympathy for them. Seriously.They are apparently chronically heedless, and as a result of this, they have richly deserved their personal frustrations with this " compare the scores from around the country " sheetshow exercise they foolishly engage in each season ( lol!)

Brasso, I don't recall anyone on this thread asking for your sympathy. And while I won't presume to speak for others, I can tell you that I am neither frustrated with Crown's score, nor anyone else's for that matter. Simply pointing out that there may be training and/or experience gaps with judges at some of the regional events that could be contributing to score volatility. If you think that's a good thing, or not, or don't care, then great. You are free to feel however you want to feel about that.

But this is a forum to discuss thoughts and ideas related to the activity, is it not? So perhaps in expressing your own ideas and opinions you can do so without trying to disparage your fellow board member with such overblown condescension.

Fair?