Mantology in Mankato - 6 July 2016, Mankato, MN

All these posts about judging the show you see and unpredictable scores...ugh. How bout a little more adjudicator training and accountability. Someone mentioned all the variables from show to show...press box and grass and distance from field and all that. If a judge isn't smart enough to take those factors into consideration then they shouldn't be out there. These scores are about judges not being fully trained and fully qualified to judge a particular caption. And this all starts at the top with leadership lacking management skills and the ability to hold people accountable.

Hehehe...this has to be the funniest paragraph I will read for the rest of the day.

• Like 1

Ok... here's a prediction for those bummed out on the Corps scores here in Mini Soda.

The next judge panel where these Corps perform will have a Come to Jesus Moment, and they'll " make an adjustment ", and all these Corps here tonite will get a 3-4 point bump in score, and all will be right with the World's Axis again.

Trust me on this. I know this game well.

I may be incorrect, but I recall the adjudication process is to rank as the first priority, then rate by assigning a number. If the ranking is correct----well?

I may be incorrect, but I recall the adjudication process is to rank as the first priority, then rate by assigning a number. If the ranking is correct----well?

Yes...but there are criteria...right. Hence the numbers. And a judge nreds to understand how to come up with a number based on that sheet's criteria. If they can't do that correctly then we got problems. Numbers management...pretty important.

Yes...but there are criteria...right. Hence the numbers. And a judge nreds to understand how to come up with a number based on that sheet's criteria. If they can't do that correctly then we got problems. Numbers management...pretty important.

How would you or anyone else know if a judge got the number wrong?

• Like 1

Brasso, I don't recall anyone on this thread asking for your sympathy. . Simply pointing out that there may be training and/or experience gaps with judges at some of the regional events that could be contributing to score volatility.

Fair?

Sure. I do believe that that judge " inexperience" or that judge " training gaps " might explain the unprecedented volatility of the scores that I predicted would happen this preseason. However, I think this is simply one of a host of reasons that explains it, thats all.

Yes, bill thats how its supposed to work, but its now complicated by wholly and completely disparate mix of instrumentations than ever before being utilized now among the Corps in DCI competition..., different sized panels... some with full panels, others with curious halfsize panels.... some with no brass judge... some with no guard judge.... some with no percussion judge.... some with a combination loss of these 3..... no immediate access to recaps..... some corps performing 5-7 minute shows..... others 11 minute shows ( in the same competition).... new judges being thrown into the mix..... other veteran judges having recently retired ,etc.

And yet people ( not you ) , given this environment ,want to know why there is such unprecedented volatility in the scores from nite to nite ? Some people never saw this coming ? How come ? We certainly discussed this a lot this off season here on DCP.

Edited by BRASSO

How would you or anyone else know if a judge got the number wrong?

Well apparently we have people on the board who know every staff member from every corps and speak openly with the judges about the closed scores and critiques. I guess that's how they know?

This is a numbers based activity obviously. Has been...always will be. Why is the number important? Who's going to see it? What difference does it make as long as the ranking is correct? All good questions. The numbers are a reflection of the judges' ability to translate what they see and hear into a numeric form within a scale. And all judges need to be on the same page so that they can evaluate corps fairly and effectively. And DCI has a history of not adequately training new judges and then tolerating crazy disparities in numbers from more seasoned judges. Goes back to my original point...inadequate training and lack of accountability. Plain and simple. We can argue lots of other factors...but these two fundamental foundations of any process have to be in place before any of those other factors can even be calculated into the discussion. Sorry...I'll come down off my high horse now...lol.