Drum Corps shows that could have won

This ignores a lot of shows, mostly a lot of second places, but here's my list. It's basically those shows that had the design, had the talent, and had the magic, but were just up against some really tough competition that year.

88 Santa Clara Vanguard

89 Phantom Regiment

95 Blue Devils

97 Madison Scouts

03 Cavaliers

03 Phantom Regiment

04 SCV

05 Bluecoats

05 Phantom Regiment

06 Bluecoats

08 Cavaliers

Edited by ouooga

Has everyone forgotten about Star 93???

We didn't on the podcast. I don't know if it's in part one or part two.

I hear that a lot, but in fact Cadets 2007 tied for 1st in GE, were 3rd in visual and 4th in music. An editor's pen might have made the show more popular with fans but that's not where it needed help with the judges.

Which only points out how subjective scoring can be, that corps marched and played fantastically.

Solid choice with Santa Clara 1987, especially pointing out the Cossack hats. Uniforms fitting the theme of the show has been happening for longer than we think!

• Like 1

I don't think it hurt. I talked with Marty Hurley about that during the season, and he said that the judges, though questioning of it earlier, had admitted to getting into it as the season progresses.

Oh, that's good for them. Personally, to me it was painting a moustache on the Mona Lisa, but that is just me.

I judged a lot in CT back then, and one of the band directors (also a percussionist) asked me to make comments on the drum part in his band's ballad. It was something similar to the Largo, with the same kind of drum part as PR, and the director HATED it. He didn't write the percussion score; his drum guys did, but he wanted a second set of "eyes" on evaluating that part, and he knew I was a percussionist. :tounge2:

• Like 1

This ignores a lot of shows, mostly a lot of second places, but here's my list. It's basically those shows that had the design, had the talent, and had the magic, but were just up against some really tough competition that year.

97 Madison Scouts

Don't get me wrong, as I loved Madison 97, but 9th in percussion, and 5th overall that year, doesn't really qualify as " could have won ", imo. I can think of lots of 4th and 5th place Finals Corps that had awsome entertaining shows ( Boston, 2000 comes to mind), but I would not say that Boston " could have won " in 2000... not when there were 4 Corps in front of them that season, as there was with Madison 97.

Edited by BRASSO