What happened?

i feel like crown is so amazing this year. low brass to die for, and a killer (pun intended) show concept

cohen's hallelujah is such an opportunity for a power ballad, and klesch is a genius. i know the show is supposed to mimic spaghetti westerns and the revenge, revenge, revenge idea that always drives them. but the funeral scene could be so great with a bigger, meatier rendition of hallelujah. the conflict between the need for revenge and reverence to god/deity as the ultimate judge is something that could really add emotional weight to the show, and the music screams for it, but it's never quite realized for me.

sorry for rambling, but i'm enjoying some wine tonight for the first time in a long time.

i know exactly what you mean. But I found the first half with arpeggios ripped right from TGBU overlaid with the solo and then duet is just genius arranging. It took Hallelujah to an entirely different place than a more conventional arrangement. Choosing to score the 2nd half in an upper brass choir with so much individual exposure was far more daring then a power ballad version.

But I know what you're saying and it would be fun to hear.

Edited by corpsband

i know exactly what you mean. But I found the first half with arpeggios ripped right from TGBU overlaid with the solo and then duet is just genius arranging. It took Hallelujah to an entirely different place than a more conventional arrangement. Choosing to score the 2nd half in an upper brass choir with so much individual exposure was far more daring then a power ballad version.

But I know what you're saying and it would be fun to hear.

the current arrangement is great, and it definitely fits what they're doing with the story in that section. the story would have to change quite a bit for it to be more grandiose, so i get it.

wish i could hear them live

and i completely forgot that academy is doing the "unchained melody" arrangement from Ghost for their closer. It's pretty amazing as a ballad.

I pretty much agree with DrumMan's assessment that the subdued and beautiful ballad have replaced power ballads. I think a lot of that is for musical variety so that corps can showcase a greater range in dynamics and mood. It also gives the corps a break.

I mostly agree. Except for Phantom. Every year.

Mike

the current arrangement is great, and it definitely fits what they're doing with the story in that section. the story would have to change quite a bit for it to be more grandiose, so i get it.

wish i could hear them live

and i completely forgot that academy is doing the "unchained melody" arrangement from Ghost for their closer. It's pretty amazing as a ballad.

it sure would be fun to put aside all the competitive aspects and let the arrangers focus just on the music. but then we'd never have this genre at all. one of the reasons i love crown is the respect they show for the music. yes things are modified to integrate to the final package but it seems to me that the integrity of the music is always in the forefront.

What ever happened to your crazy awesome power ballads and just blow your chops moments in DCI? 1992 and 1989 Blue Devils, 1988 Scouts, 1993 Colts, etc. I cannot remember the last time I stood up and actually felt a rush.

It's gone. By and large, DCI is just a boring activity these days, at least musically. No sustained melody. No building a phrase. No playing more than few snippets with long drum breaks in between. I was thinking of going to Indy this year, but will not. Why go when I only care about 3-4 shows? I can be bored to death at home watching reruns of Golden Girls.....

Edited by henry7184

What ever happened to your crazy awesome power ballads and just blow your chops moments in DCI? 1992 and 1989 Blue Devils, 1988 Scouts, 1993 Colts, etc. I cannot remember the last time I stood up and actually felt a rush.

Honestly I have heard tons of great ballads over the years. Just as many today (2000s) as what I heard in the 70s or 80s. I think you're missing something or not listening to the shows I am.

• Like 1

Honestly I have heard tons of great ballads over the years. Just as many today (2000s) as what I heard in the 70s or 80s. I think you're missing something or not listening to the shows I am.

I agree! I think 2014-2016 has been particularly great on the ballad front.

It's gone. By and large, DCI is just a boring activity these days, at least musically. No sustained melody. No building a phrase. No playing more than few snippets with long drum breaks in between.

That tired complaint is about to reach voting age.

I was thinking of going to Indy this year, but will not. Why go when I only care about 3-4 shows? I can be bored to death at home watching reruns of Golden Girls.....

You have this strange obsession with watching things that make you bored (drum corps, Golden Girls). Have you tried watching things that make you not bored?

• Like 2

That tired complaint is about to reach voting age.

You have this strange obsession with watching things that make you bored (drum corps, Golden Girls). Have you tried watching things that make you not bored?

I actually love Golden Girls....

Most drum corps are boring to me....that's the decision now - is it worth it to follow or go to shows when I find so few entertaining?