"Oh yeah, I forgot about that show..."

Well, with all the talk about props and staging these days, I encourage younger DCI fans to go back and check out Santa Clara Vanguard in 1986, 87 (the two Russian shows), and 1988 & 89 (the 2 Phantom of the Opera Shows). Beautiful props, staging, some costuming (more so with the guard, but even the eye patch in 89 for the brass was cool), and some awesome music arrangements.

Although I first heard of drum corps in the late 1980s and about SCV's delightful visual tricks in these shows (along the lines of, "OMG, they made the entire corps disappear!"), it was many years before I saw SCV live and eventually caught up with these shows on video. I remember someone telling me how awesome it was when Vanguard changed pants on the field, and I still find the first version of that very impressive. Even more nifty was the show with the levitation trick--which year was that?

Edited by N.E. Brigand
  • Like 1

For about five years, "Triple Crown" seemed to be everyone's favorite Crown show. It did quite well on one or more DCI polls, as I recall.

It's still my favorite Crown show. Nothing will top that show for me. Crown shows of the past 10 years in my favorite order are

They've had some monsters. I feel like their Jekyll and Hyde show gets forgotten about a lot too. Man, they played GREAT for an 11th place corps...

Funny in 92 is done in the style of Malagueña, right down to the mello licks and drum arrangements. Very clever and very awesome.

Mike

TIL. That's amazing.

Close! But it was "Carpe Noctem".

Yea you're right, I was in a hurry and typed faster than my brain could think:)

Gotta agree with many, including:

BD 1991 Conversations in Jazz. That show was just NASTY (in the best way possible).

Regiment 1993 The Modern Imagination. I really appreciated their move away from the Romantic era to 20th century music and art.

Cadets 1997 Celebration. That show was a quiet display of technical brilliance.

Devils 2013 Rewrite of Spring. Hated it the first time I saw it (much like the original) but after the third viewing, had to call it brilliant.

Devils 2000. Yep.

Blue Knights 2013. Any show that revolves (did you see what I did there?)around First Circle is a winner.

Cavaliers 1996 Pan American Sketches. I know it wasn't terribly popular but I think it's one of the most sophisticated shows they've done.

Oh, and Crossmen 1998. See BK note above. Beautiful treatment of First Circle and that great guard at its peak.

Edited by FLBuzcut
  • Like 1

Gotta agree with many, including:

BD 1991 Conversations in Jazz. That show was just NASTY (in the best way possible).

Regiment 1993 The Modern Imagination. I really appreciated their move away from the Romantic era to 20th century music and art.

Cadets 1997 Celebration. That show was a quiet display of technical brilliance.

Devils 2013 Rewrite of Spring. Hated it the first time I saw it (much like the original) but after the third viewing, had to call it brilliant.

Devils 2000. Yep.

Blue Knights 2013. Any show that revolves (did you see what I did there?)around First Circle is a winner.

Cavaliers 1996 Pan American Sketches. I know it wasn't terribly popular but I think it's one of the most sophisticated shows they've done.

Oh, and Crossmen 1998. See BK note above. Beautiful treatment of First Circle and that great guard at its peak.

Conversations in Jazz was and still is one of my all time favorites!

• Like 1

Conversations in Jazz was and still is one of my all time favorites!

For BD that show OUT THERE. No one was playing anything like Bird and Bela in B flat.