Champions in Chester, August 4 2016

No one will beat Coats in GE at finals. You've got to beat them in visual and essentially tie music. Crown could do it. BD also, but imo opinion that's the path.

i wouldn't be surprised if crown was very close in GE2 tonight -- possibly even won it.

Edited by corpsband
  • Like 1

Go Phantom. Back in front of BK.

Woo hoo!!

Phantom Regiment: Pleasantly surprised. They have a lovely sound and they played with some muscle. Those King horns are amazing. Drums are uninspiring but not distractingly so, front ensemble much the same. Show design is average.

Bluecoats: Lots of little details that don't get picked up in recordings (e.g. the quads trade off with front ensemble congas/bongos in the opener before the four trumpet screamers). They have tons of energy in their show and they know it. Unusually, I detected a bit more "stickout" goo than what I've come to expect from them, but not enough to significantly detract from the show. Nailed their signature horn sound.

Santa Clara Vanguard: Very nice show. Visually stunning, musically powerful. Wish the horns played more, it feels like they're still a bit stuck in their "we should feature our drums" rut. The ambient electronics/bird calls thing goes on a bit too long in my opinion. This show would win, last decade.

The Cadets: Musically stunning. Visually confusing. Thematically erratic. Absolutely TONS of goo. I liked the statue guy being painted to look "stoney". The only way that the statue props will win me over is if they make them remote controlled robots that actually come to life.

• Like 1

The acoustic qualities are great between the 45s. But whew. Once you cross the 40 it's really weird. I'm not sure I want to watch another show in there. Lots of ring that killed releases.

The acoustic qualities are great between the 45s. But whew. Once you cross the 40 it's really weird. I'm not sure I want to watch another show in there. Lots of ring that killed releases.

I respectfully disagree. Acoustically, that place rocks. I watched SCV rehearse all day sitting on the 50. Sounded the same tonight in the stadium, at the 10

My seat must be in an weird patch on the side 1 40. Row Z. Felt like sitting in the Georgia dome in 2000 again. Lots of reverb and bounce. Everyone sounded like a wash.

Madison Scouts: They're weak, and that's accounting for the fact that they went on after Crown. From their last few chords it clear that they CAN play with power, they just choose not to for some reason. The whole I found myself asking for more, and they just didn't give it to me. Way too much goo, particularly against a relatively weak hornline. I don't understand the scaffolding, it doesn't seem to have a purpose in relation to the JCS theme/music. Drums were okay, not spectacular. Front ensemble was barely audible.

The scaffolding represents the High Priest's temple in the film.

jcs3.jpg

• Like 2

. In the stage production, too.

Seems like most revivals use the film for inspiration. It was in the version I saw a number of years back in NYC. The Tom O'Horgan original stage version did not use a scaffold, if I recall. That was director Norman Jewison's idea for the film. He had just done an elaborate film version of Fiddler, so he wanted to do the opposite with JCCS, hence scaffolding, bus riding through the desert to start the film, etc...

• Like 1