The Fight for Finals

I wouldn't want to follow Academy. Lol.

Also, Academy's win yesterday was even more impressive when you look at when they went:

7:12 p.m. Seattle Cascades - Seattle, WA

7:29 p.m. Spirit of Atlanta - Atlanta, GA

7:46 p.m. Troopers - Casper, WY

8:03 p.m. The Academy - Tempe, AZ

8:20 p.m. Intermission

8:40 p.m. Colts - Dubuque, IA

8:57 p.m. Blue Stars - La Crosse, WI

9:14 p.m. Madison Scouts - Madison, WI

9:31 p.m. Santa Clara Vanguard - Santa Clara, CA

Wow looking at scores for this show I must say that is impressive.

BAC: many have said that a poor performance by Madison or judges deeming Academy's demand is not high enough would be the only way they will make finals BAC folks have been stressing the merits of their show is the only way it will happen. That is what we are now seeing. It has taken longer than many BAC fans had hoped, and while I've never given up, I have been nervous and will be nervous until about 7PM or so on Friday when 12th should be determined, but whatever the outcome, they will give it their best.

Let's hope the announcement ends better than 94.

With Troop besting Boston in both GE & Music last night, and decreasing their "theoretical" spread behind Scouts to less than 2 points, I'm not counting Troopers out yet. As I mentioned in my initial post, if we can count on the unit for one thing recently, it's to be magically, crystal, squeaky clean during Finals week. On the other hand, this is a much more difficult show than the past few years, so maybe that won't hold true. If Troopers can manage to get their visual presentation together, I see no reason that they couldn't be playing WITH Academy on Saturday night, with Scouts & Boston watching from the outside. It's certainly not over yet.

Also, I've rewatched Academy about a million times throughout the season, especially in the last few days, and I just don't buy the idea that their show offers any less challenge than the other groups in this fighting-for-Finals tier. They're playing as a full ensemble for the large majority of the show, and have a MUCH larger full ensemble dynamic range than, say, Crossmen & Scouts, who generally are achieving their softer spots by use of soloists or a general lack of the full brass line. Dukas' Sorcerer's Apprentice is really allowing their low brass line to show off. And, seriously, Unchained Melody alone offers SO MUCH musicality that just isn't coming through in the writing of the other corps in this tier: extended & *long* phrases, at soft volumes, while moving; rapid dynamic growths and diminishes; super-exposed full ensemble attacks at low volume levels....ah, it's all so delicious. I just really don't think it can be said that The Academy's show offers any less meat than Scouts, Boston, Crossmen, or Troopers.

What an exciting battle this is shaping up to be!!!!

Edited by Jake W.
  • Like 1

Also, I've rewatched Academy about a million times throughout the season, especially in the last few days, and I just don't buy the idea that their show offers any less challenge than the other groups in this fighting-for-Finals tier. They're playing as a full ensemble for the large majority of the show, and have a MUCH larger full ensemble dynamic range than, say, Crossmen & Scouts, who generally are achieving their softer spots by use of soloists or a general lack of the full brass line. Dukas' Sorcerer's Apprentice is really allowing their low brass line to show off. And, seriously, Unchained Melody alone offers SO MUCH musicality that just isn't coming through in the writing of the other corps in this tier: extended & *long* phrases, at soft volumes, while moving; rapid dynamic growths and diminishes; super-exposed full ensemble attacks at low volume levels....ah, it's all so delicious. I just really don't think it can be said that The Academy's show offers any less meat than Scouts, Boston, Crossmen, or Troopers.

This is about the only explanation WHY Academy is hanging with the other corps musically that I have seen. Thanks for that. Troop has a couple spots where the corps plays somewhat extended, soft passages while on the move -- in the Corigliano movement, and during Fix You, but those stretches aren't as lengthy as Unchained Melody.

As Academy was walking off the field on Friday night, I turned to the person I was with and said "that show was an amazing demonstration of restraint and judicious use of power." In addition to the humor (which is incredibly hard to make look as easy as Academy does), the show is dynamic in every regard - musically, visually, and from a design perspective. People forget that nuance is often as difficult to pull off as power, speed, or complexity. It's Basie's swing to Kenton's "Wall of Sound."

• Like 3

MADISON AND BOSTON BOTH HAVE BEEN THERE AND KNOW WHAT IT TAKES LAST 2 WEEKS TO GET THE JOB DONE .

ACADEMY - Probably has the most sophomoric design out of the three.

It is effective but a little easy and not too high brow. we are talking DCI Judges .

Never count out multi time finalists and their staffs to do what it takes to get in ......

Academy ( who lost to MADISON by 2 points coming into Allentown ) Are NO LOCK for finals .and I would NOT be surprised if they are the corps that lands in 13th.

Phantom

Blue Stars

Crossmen

Madison

Boston

------

Academy

troopers

Colts

I would have agreed with you if you said Academy has the easiest design of the three. They certainly don't have the most sophomoric design. In fact, their show design is vastly superior to both Madison and Boston. I, for one, would rather see a well designed show that is easier than a poorly designed more difficult show. Academy's staff is brilliant. I think there's about a 0% chance we won't see them Saturday night.

I finally broke down and watched the Academy and about 6 minutes in, I had gotten bored and changed the video. They were pretty entertaining up until then. Although, I believe the Academy punched their ticket already to finals.

I'll sum up The Academy's music this season in two words...

Michael Klesch

• Like 1

I finally broke down and watched the Academy and about 6 minutes in, I had gotten bored and changed the video. They were pretty entertaining up until then. Although, I believe the Academy punched their ticket already to finals.

You definitely did yourself a disservice there. Unchained Melody is the closest thing I've heard to a 70s-80s-style ballad closer in years.....absolutely wonderful, and the flugel solo in the beginning is very very nice.

With Troop besting Boston in both GE & Music last night, and decreasing their "theoretical" spread behind Scouts to less than 2 points, I'm not counting Troopers out yet. As I mentioned in my initial post, if we can count on the unit for one thing recently, it's to be magically, crystal, squeaky clean during Finals week. On the other hand, this is a much more difficult show than the past few years, so maybe that won't hold true. If Troopers can manage to get their visual presentation together, I see no reason that they couldn't be playing WITH Academy on Saturday night, with Scouts & Boston watching from the outside. It's certainly not over yet.

What an exciting battle this is shaping up to be!!!!