The Fight for Finals

I like Academy's uniforms. They're unique, and classy looking,

Me too. Not to mention that the uniforms work so well with this years show. But I wonder if the length of the tails have a negative impact on how clean they appear visually.

Allentown, and I might also add Quincy stirred things up at the top and bottom. Cavies made Cadets and perhaps SCV a bit nervous after their performance on Thursday. Many tried to explain away BAC's score Thursday night until last night.

Some thoughts:

Last night's Crossmen performance was not an indicator of what we will see in Indy. There were technical difficulties and a slow start, but by mid show they were on fire. I don't see them higher than 10th but I don't see them lower either.

Troopers: they seem to be able to have shows that catch competitors off guard, but I'm not expecting to see them outperform Madison, BAC, or Academy at semi's. It might happen at prelims, but the stakes are too high for Madison, BAC, and Academy.

Regarding Academy: I'm not always the greatest judge of demand, and demand or lack of it causes debates among those who can determine it better, but I will agree that Academy's show may not have the demand of other shows. That being said their show is well performed with enthusiasm, has lots of original tidbits, and it's clean enough for this point in the season. I think if lack of demand was going to keep them from finals, we would have got a hint in San Antonio or Atlanta. Also keep in mind, lack of demand was the chief criticism of Spirit in 2011, Crossmen in 2012, and Blue Stars in 2013. Each performed on Saturday night.

BAC: many have said that a poor performance by Madison or judges deeming Academy's demand is not high enough would be the only way they will make finals BAC folks have been stressing the merits of their show is the only way it will happen. That is what we are now seeing. It has taken longer than many BAC fans had hoped, and while I've never given up, I have been nervous and will be nervous until about 7PM or so on Friday when 12th should be determined, but whatever the outcome, they will give it their best.

Madison in my opinion is the biggest wild card. Things started off well but it ended up being a tough season. Hard to say what will happen.

I can't see how Crossmen miss, absent a complete tear or something. I don't feel the GE from them that apparently the judges are feeling; Xmen are good and clean, and I love the thinking behind the use of color, and great for all those kids . . .it's just that I can barely remember a note of their show.

BAC: You can we don't gava all you want, but a 6-point jump in a week is not something you just grit your teeth and obtain on sheer will. Like everyone else, they are cleaner etc., but neither they nor anyone else is 6 points better than they were 7 days ago, imo. Other corps with deeper, more engaging shows are getting cleaner just as rapidly as BAC yet aren't the beneficiaries of an 8-percent jump in their score. Love the windmills, and appreciate the way the corps has adjusted and improved its show elements throughout the season. A very aware corps, tons of heart.

Academy: Watched them very closely on Friday. Unquestionably a top-6 corps in the showmanship and communication department, and that apparently counts for a lot in DCI. I don't get all the baby-throwing over the closer, which is a great melody and the flugel soloist is nails and it's wonderful to hear a complete musical idea, but the final 120 seconds are pretty stock drum corps to my eyes and ears. Visually, they are clean enough, but on Friday I saw just as many bubbles, breaks, and inconsistencies in forms, spacings and feet as I did with Troopers, tbh. Rotating blocks with kinks in the lines, that sort of thing. For that matter, I saw bad intervals and phasing feet with Bluecoats, too. Still, Academy is the "it" corps this year, there's no denying.

Madison: I love their power; can't understand what they're trying to say. Sort of the inverse of Academy: Lots of mad skilz put to puzzling purpose. But experience counts for a lot, they're biggest under the brightest lights, and I'd be surprised if they fell short of finals.

Troop: You know where I stand, so salt is advised. Honestly, I am at a loss to understand Troop getting outscored by Academy in music and visual. GE, I can understand. Music, I can't. Visual, on a close examination and a few rewinds of each corps Friday, I see similar quality of intervals, forms, feet. I see Troop backing in to two side-to-side fronts and other high-demand maneuvers that are, as far as I can tell, no dirtier than anything Academy is doing. Maybe it's all in the body carriage or something, but to this dino's eyes these two corps are, or should be, neck-and-neck from a visual execution standpoint. If there's something obvious that separates Academy's visual proficiency from Troopers, I'd appreciate learning what it is -- from a technical, judge-filling-out-the-sheet perspective. Going to be a long-shot for Troopers, but then, it always seems to be. They do what DCI asks of them -- get with the times, push their boundaries, set their bar higher each year, entertain the audience -- and always seem to be rewarded with a pat on the head. I do know that the corps is getting tear-filled fan mail from cancer survivors and others who are touched by the show. They are a close group, are completely focused, and have no ambition other than to be as good as they can be. They will finish on a high note. Whether it's enough, we'll see.

• Like 1

Me too. Not to mention that the uniforms work so well with this years show. But I wonder if the length of the tails have a negative impact on how clean they appear visually.

Not to me. They move really well...top six well IMHO. If I'm not mistaken, they're basically the same length as Coats coats (lol) from the past couple of years.

We heard this about the BD half capes every year they've had them or a variation...never knew it to have an effect that way...and Cadets still had the drop sash.

• Like 1

We heard this about the BD half capes every year they've had them or a variation...never knew it to have an effect that way...and Cadets still had the drop sash.

True. In my view BD makes you like what they do. They've won me over a number of times when I think I won't like a song they are doing. They are waaay ahead of me. :cool: :cool:

+++

Aside, personal to Sam: I watched Olympic fencing today, in your honor. I hope all is well with you and your family, my friend I have never met (in person). -Dave

True. In my view BD makes you like what they do. They've won me over a number of times when I think I won't like a song they are doing. They are waaay ahead of me. :cool: :cool:

+++

Aside, personal to Sam: I watched Olympic fencing today, in your honor. I hope all is well with you and your family, my friend I have never met (in person). -Dave

At least you got to watch the action....I don't have cable, so I can't see the feeds. Happy about Massialis' silver. REALLY hoping for the women in sabre tomorrow (since that's my weapon). Not sure if I want Mariel Zagunis to win the gold and erase the debacle of London 2012, or Ibtihaj Muhammad just to watch Conservatives burst into flames at seeing a woman wearing a hijab onthe podium while the SSB is being played.

'Course, there's also a chance for that in team later in the week.

Fencing if often a crapshoot...I would NEVER have thought of the defending finalists from last years worlds in women's sabre not taking a podium this year (Zaguniz and Olga Kharlan of Ukraine), nor would I have expected the current men's foil world champ to bomb out early today (Yuki Ota of Japan).

On any given day....

In fact...the men's foil final gave me my new laptop desktop image!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10210232567269504&set=a.1442555422774.2061992.1199753678&type=3&theater

Too bad Massialis missed his hit. What you can't tell from the camera angle is that Garozzo's right hand is actually BEHIND his head, not over it...the blade's coming at Massialis from past Garozzo's left ear. Contortions like that are common when infighting (meaning you're too close to land the point with the weapon in front of you).

Interestingly, the lights in Garazzo's mask have not lit up, so Serge Timacheff (the photog) must've clicked the shutter before the hit registered...although it's possible Massialis is parrying the blade. I'll have to wait until the bout goes up on YouTube to see it.

I always HATED getting hit by infighting moves...I had a clubmate who could be almost touching bellies with you and he could STILL hit you in the stomach! (the late Donald Benge...if you've ever played on a Benge instrument...he was the son of THAT Benge).

Edited by 84BDsop