Historic Possibilities

• If the Blue Devils happen to slip to 3rd place (and it is Crown and Bluecoats as the top 2), it will be the first time since 1972 (DCI's inaugural season) that at least one of the big four (BD/Cadets/Cavies/SCV) is not in the top two!

I was watching some 2000 videos last night, and it occurred to me how bizarre 16-years-ago me would consider the 2016 season. "Yup, Bluecoats and Carolina Crown are fighting for the top spot." Wow!

• Like 2

I was watching some 2000 videos last night, and it occurred to me how bizarre 16-years-ago me would consider the 2016 season. "Yup, Bluecoats and Carolina Crown are fighting for the top spot." Wow!

Now go back to 1980 and do the same thing, except tell me that the 2nd and 3rd place corps will have been long gone for 20+ years... :mellow:

• Like 1

I tried going back but couldn't find the year. Someone back in the 80s snuck in from 3rd at semis to 1st at Finals, right? There's actually a chance that could happen this year too.

I tried going back but couldn't find the year. Someone back in the 80s snuck in from 3rd at semis to 1st at Finals, right? There's actually a chance that could happen this year too.

Ah, 1983. Cadets and Devils wound up tied for 2nd behind Vanguard after semis. Cadets won their first title having to go on 3rd from last Saturday night. They had been undefeated all summer though, so it was more a surprise being where they were Friday than where they ended up Saturday.

In 1988 Blue Devils won every show they were in during the season up until Semi-Finals where they lost to Madison and then Finals where they lost to Madison and Vanguard.

No disrespect to Madison (or SCV... loved both of those shows)... but that always sits in my mind as one of the wonkiest outcomes in a season. The Devils were just great that year... one of the most entertaining and crowd engaging shows they have ever fielded.

• Like 2

No disrespect to Madison (or SCV... loved both of those shows)... but that always sits in my mind as one of the wonkiest outcomes in a season. The Devils were just great that year... one of the most entertaining and crowd engaging shows they have ever fielded.

From a brass perspective, yes, but their visual numbers in both GE and performance were really low for a contending corps. Let's face it though, when Madison got hot in August, no one was going to beat them.

I read on here once from someone on the field that night, when they announced SCV in second, that person's immediate reaction was "wait, then who's left?" They did prelims in a random performance order that season, right?

• Like 1

I read on here once from someone on the field that night, when they announced SCV in second, that person's immediate reaction was "wait, then who's left?" They did prelims in a random performance order that season, right?

http://www.fromthepressbox.xom/1988dcirecaps.htm

I'm trying to remember, but looking at the order of appearance, it does appear to be a random order. They didn't announce scores and performance order for Finals was a random draw in two groups. As it turned out, BD went on right after the 11th and 12th place units, which might explain their below expected result.

Edited by Tenoris4Jazz

The repertoire listing for the champion would include Justin Bieber if BD wins. Let that sink in for a minute. Champion = Bieber. :hmmm::omg::tic:

• Like 1

The repertoire listing for the champion would include Justin Bieber if BD wins. Let that sink in for a minute. Champion = Bieber. :hmmm::omg::tic::spitting:

Fixed it for you.

• Like 2