The Bloo Effect: UNIFORMS

Bloo Effect  

144 members have voted

1. 1. If the Bluecoats win the 2016 DCI Final, how many other top 12 corps will start using WGI uniforms for the corps proper?

• 1-2
    • 3-4
    • 5-6
    • 7+
  2. 2. If the Bluecoats win 2nd or 3rd at the 2016 DCI Final, how many other top 12 corps will start using WGI uniforms for the corps proper?

• 1-2
    • 3-4
    • 5-6
    • 7+
  3. 3. Predict the DCI season where WGI uniforms for the corps proper will be what the majority of corps use.

• 2021+

Well I'm sure this show was designed specifically for Bluecoats and not Cadets so not sure if anyone would be wondering who would want to see West point style uniforms in this type of show. I see your point, but I am not so sure I want every corps following Bloo's lead. To me, variety is much better than conformity. That's just me.

And, of course, neither do I want all corps following BC (or BD). I'd like to see Cadets go forward with a direction that they are comfortable with and which continues to develop. I think that will take a clear vision from the leadership. And I, certainly, would not know what that would be. I'm not sure how this year contributes to that future. Are you? Changes were made this year, and maybe they will pay off in the years to come. But what I saw this year, was a reaching back to fix something that was broken.

I'm just saying I don't understand the idea that the uniform gets in the way of enjoying a show. I've seen countless posters over the summer saying they refuse to watch Coats early on and OC during the season just based on uniforms alone.

I definitely don't hope everyone moves to that style, but I don't think it warrants the idea that a show is deemed unwatchable because of them alone.

I will admit that the first stream broadcast, I could not get past the jammies. I enjoyed the show, but the outfits overwhelmed my impression of everything. I believe my comment to my wife was "Really good show, but those unis? Ugh..." Now that I've seen them several times, I notice it, but I've gotten used to it and barely think about it.

I wouldn't call it the Bloo Effect…but I'll play along.

I really hope corps make decisions based on their shows and not what is different for the sake of being different. In this way, I really appreciate what the Bluecoats did. I do think their uniforms match their show. Then again, if many many corps start doing this, it would be understandable that to keep up with the current direction of DCI that others be forced to follow. I mean, look at Phantom. They're trying so hard to be traditional in a sea of other corps trying to do something "different" and they come out looking dated.

Now here's an honest opinion on the Bloo uni's from 2016 that no one asked for:

I didn't like Bloo's uni's earlier this year (and unfortunately I still totally hate them). Even though I was told by MANY a homer that they were 'totally necessary for this show' and 'helmets just don't belong in this show', I call BS on all that and maintain that the uni's as they exist are awful and Bloo has proven in the past that they can have an incredibly physical show (yes, even shows were they slide down 'tilted' slides) and still have helmets.

At the Massillon show, during the encore, all the uniforms were super dirty. It really looked ugly, truthfully. I wish they had spent a little more money to have a more moisture wicking and slick fabric that maybe wouldn't hold onto sweat and dirt so much. They could have also just used any other color besides white. I mean, the guard looks incredible in yellow and the dirt doesn't show up nearly as much. Can you imagine if they used a fluorescent aqua or sky blue? Something bright, but not quite white?

I also wish they didn't have those stupid white uni's belted. Come on, Bluecoats….so easy to fix!

ALLLLL that grumpiness aside: I also really didn't love Crown when they came out with their more lightweight uni's. I've grown to really love the look now (although, I don't love the brown and gold colors…blends in with the turf too much) - so maybe Bluecoat's uni's will grow on me, too. I suspect that if they do something similar next year, as long as it isn't white (any other color, truthfully), I'll feel very different about this topic.

And while we're on the topic, BD deserves a little uniform criticism: Please, do anything else for next year. I get that you're doing something different, but it isn't different in a good way. Crown and Bluecoats are onto something - just please, no skin-tight, white, thin-fabriced onesies, no belts, and put helmets back on in some capacity.

But only if you want to please me :)… which I'm sure is not their concern.

• Like 2

I actually don't think it will matter where Bluecoats finish. The style and demand of a DCI show is changing, and that will require a fresh look at uniforms.

To me, the biggest trend is toward show-specific uniforms, which was pretty much started by Cadets (Angels/Demons and Zone) and before them Star (Rome) and then institutionalized by Crown. That, to me, is the significance of the uniform trend.

SkyRyders and Freelancers may want a word with you about who started show-specific uniforms... There's probably more corps around too such as Jersey Surf and others...

• Like 1

You could very well be right, but I'd only agree with it if Bloo were in contention for 4-6.

I've felt for awhile like a lot of corps have wanted to go there and have been inching towards it, and Bloo was just the first to actually do it full out 100%.

Yes. Bluecoats' gold medal will just move them faster to the place they've already been headed.

• Like 2

It seems silly to think that if Bloo comes in 2nd or 3rd that they (and potential emulators) will suddenly consider the uniform a failure and be less inclined to go in the direction of performance-wear and return to classic "uniforms". Back in my marching days the color guard would also wear the corps uniform or a close variant. As their role and visual/physical responsibilities evolved, they started going to more dance and theatrical garb in order to better move and project specific show ideas. The same will happen to the look of corps proper, Bloo victory or not. We've gotten used to the look of quasi-military type uniforms juxtaposed with modern dance/theater wear in recent decades but it's really becoming artistically untenable if you look at it objectively. If the activity embraces physical demand beyond militaristic precision marching and maneuvering, which it is, then this evolution in corps outfitting will continue. It also just looks odd for performers in formal wear to be rolling on the ground, doing hip-hop, modern dance and acting etc... I embrace the changes that are coming, though I expect that some outfits will be horrible as designers try to figure out what a modern corps should look like.

• Like 1

These kind of unis will increase - like them or not.

Oregon has entered into a partnership with a company called Digital Performance Gear and it looks like there will be new specific show unis every year for them. But contrary to what many think, OC's unis are not really pure WGI as they utilize bibs & jackets, kind of a cross between a proper uni and a lighter weight WGI.

Crown and BK have been wearing these lighter weight unis for a few years now as well.

Things change!

Yeah, and I have dug Crowns uniforms every past few years.

I understand some of the "hate" towards the Bloo unis but I really think they complement the style of music - so different.

Turn it around - if all the finalists were buying new uniforms next year, which ones do you think would stick with a traditional uniform?

Cadets - I'd guess maroon & gold, but not traditional style. SCV - maybe. Boston - maybe. Phantom - possibly.

On the other hand, BD, Crown, Cavaliers, and BK have already taken pretty big steps away from traditional uniforms and will likely go further if/when they think it helps their visual design.

Cadets, Blue Devils, SCV, Phantom, Troopers (return to traditional) and long coats will be fewer because of Bloo maneuverability.