Too many amplifiers?

Too many DC Dinosaurs, but certainly not too many speakers and amplifiers. Either enjoy it for what it is or stay home in your lazyboy and turn down the volume on your TV.

I am what you would call a dinosaur and have enjoyed and participated in Drum Corps since the late 1970's. I have no problems with the amps and speakers though I don't feel they really are needed other than to help the pit as I do feel with the increased size of corps horn lines it is warranted even with the change from G to Bb. Hornlines are loud enough on their own.

It is sometimes really hard to distinguish what is just a horn line and what is an amplified one online but in person you can tell. I feel corps have taken advantage of the this. As someone else stated, you cant't really say corps A is the loudest anymore.

As I watch the Olympics and read this thread about amps and speakers, the more I feel they (amps and speakers) are becoming the steroids and doping of drum corps.

Back to my lazyboy and hopefully your babysitter will put you back into your playpen. (Kidding).

Edited by CDN DC Fan

with the theater mic'ing last night, i thought the amped synth at the end of boston's show was particularly egregious, but it might just have been the mic'ing

no matter how it's mic'd, i'm a little disappointed by the synth stuff when madison finally plays the jesus christ superstart theme towards the end.

• Like 1

As I watch the Olympics and read this thread about amps and speakers, the more I feel they (amps and speakers) are becoming the steroids and doping of drum corps.

we don't even know the extent to which "amp doping" (dare I say amPED) effects the numbers, though. that's the biggest problem, i think. i doubt dci will ever do anything to address it, though.

• Like 3

This thread has helped open my ears to goo. Really. I was surprised how much amp goo was coming out of BD tonight.

Interesting, 2 corps that had the best balance. Of course, Crown. No brainier on that. They other? How about the Crossmen? Yes, the Crossmen. But then I realized the brass caption head is a former Crown guy. That's not a coincidence.

For those of you going to fortunate enough to go to finals tomorrow, you'll be amazed on how much amped bass has permiated throughout most of the corps. It's a shame when they do it just to add volume for volume's sake. Even a less loud horn line can sound loud if they vary the sound, play balanced, in control, together, and articulate well. It's why DCI cannot diminish the value of musicianship anymore than they already have.

• Like 2

Sitting on the 34 last night just 9 rows up - right in the face of most speaker set ups. It truly affected the ability to enjoy the majority of the music. The crazy thing is that just a few rows in front of me is where the staff were sitting for most of the corps as they jumped into the stands during their shows - so they heard the very same thing, yet I doubt anything will change for tonight. Some of the worst offenders were two of the top four corps.

Tonight I was concerned about my hearing and I was holding my ears plugged for a lot of the last two shows and a couple others. I saw BC, Cadets and Crown in Massillon and it didn't bother me so much - but Lucas Oil's closed space just makes it unbearable tonight. I'm considering (sadly) picking up some cotton buds - something so I can still hear but won't get a headache.

And before anyone calls me a dinosaur and to stay on my Lazyboy - I don't care, call me a dino haha - it's just a safety concern, truly.

• Like 1

In Atlanta bluecoats amps from the soloists near the ending of their show were WAAAY too loud. I noticed as well several mic'ing solos that just weren't necessary and to me anyways it came across as non-musical being so loud over the corps playing behind them. I think there is more effect from screaming trumpet soloist anyways if they are up from pointing into the stands and playing their guts out rather than being on the back hash and playing down into a mic.

I also have a concern with have electronics playing parts now that are hard to tell if the horns are playing or not (bluecoats had a section of their show like this)

I know everyone feels like they have to use electronics now just like everyone has to use trombones for some reason whether or not the show really calls for it, but to me we are right on that edge of maybe going a little to far with some of this.

Edited by dcibrando
  • Like 1

One other point, where is the discussion on who has the loudest horn line this year?

Unfortunately, that discussion kind of gets lost in all the electronic goo we're getting.

Bugles versus Crown?

LOUDEST HORN LINE THIS YEAR?

Crown wins. Loudest horn line this year. May be the loudest horn line in the modern Bb era - but with all the electronics, does anyone know - or appreciate? Go ahead judges, keep rewarding fake sound!

SCV is pretty loud this year too. ...and let's not forget cadets 2000 who introduced us to their Bb switch by blowing us back a few rows

I don't mind the amped sound during the show, but I am not sure it is part of the judging. We watched the semi's on our home TV (nice sound system) and loved the shows. However, after getting to know each corps productions we were stunned when the BC sound system went south on them. From our vantage point there were noticeable problems and volume miscues. It was obvious and took away from the show and we thought there would be deductions. Low and behold the increased in score? I think we counted 26 speakers in surround sound fashion.

If there is no regulation then all corps should take advantage of the ability to use them. However, for the purist change will be hard.

When there is an obvious problem much like a dedication for circle formations ending up looking like flat footballs then for poor electronic performance deductions should occur as well. If you are going to use them then get rated on them too.

On the plus side, sound engineers now have a cool job and composers have a new variable to add to their color palette.

• Like 2