Too many amplifiers?

What's to stop a corps from adding 50 speakers? Could each speaker then be considered another member of the hornline? It could be fun! Make it wear a uniform and a shako!

Edited by Corps_Efan
  • Like 2

What's to stop a corps from adding 50 speakers? Could each speaker then be considered another member of the hornline? It could be fun! Make it wear a uniform and a shako!

Could be interesting. You've probably just given some designer an idea for next year.

• Like 1

This thread is fascinating. The subject of the aesthetics of timbre and volume in drum corps would make a great dissertation.

I was struck in 2013 with how much sound in BD was electronically-mediated. It was very well done and professional, but it was obvious the sound concept was designed from the electronics up rather than from the hornline up, if that makes any sense.

In 2014 at Massillon I was struck by The Cadets. I was near the top of a stadium that is known to "catch" and amplify the sound. At the end of their show, they were play very loudly. The bass synth and the overall output of all the sound from the mics through the amps was very high. Mic'd cymbal crashes, double stops, rim shots. Drum corps fans love volume but it just seemed like kindof a sensory assault, if that makes any sense. And so over the top (just volume-wise) that it verged on parody. Your mileage may vary.

• Like 1

Could be interesting. You've probably just given some designer an idea for next year.

50 Amps on the field wearing blue coats………………………..

100 people in white onesies "creep" out with boxing gloves onto a 'tilted' field.

Bluecoats 2017 show: BACK TO THE BLUE-TURE!

After winning in 2016, they choose to dedicate their show to revisiting all their best show moments of years past.

Edited by FancySnack
  • Like 3

Interesting topic. Sitting through most of the early evening and night, it's very apparent that there's a ton of goo coming out of the electronics.

There was one corps tonight that was richly loud and sounded, to my ears, the best of the all without all the help - because they simply didn't it.

live? low seats? yes you'll get that, especially indoor

cinecast...mic placement

Edited by Jeff Ream

To me, half the problem is the usage of bass synth, accurately known as "thunderous goo." I don't know why corps use it, where the idea comes from, what instrument it's supposed to resemble or why it's always so overbalanced. What does it add to the sound, other than sticking out like a sore thumb and not blending with anything else? Couldn't they just not use it? I'd love some answers.

I know a person who has laid claim to the introduction of thunderous goo. A very established former DCI arranger and instructor who has worked with several corps and I have thoroughly chastised him for it. :ninja:

Edited by SFZFAN
  • Like 1

This year, in Atlanta, the corps who used a lot of amps sounded mushy. Those that did not, sounded much cleaner. Did anyone else notice this? Or was it so loud that you could not hear each instrument?

Ear protection is sold at this event. And yet, overuse of amps is not penalized?

• Like 1

Amps are fine outdoors. Last night at Lucas Oil, it was too loud at some points, and I should add I have a slight hearing loss. My guess is tonight we will see some modifications.

Amps are fine outdoors. Last night at Lucas Oil, it was too loud at some points, and I should add I have a slight hearing loss. My guess is tonight we will see some modifications.

Even outdoors, it's been too much. In Winston-Salem, we had the pleasure of enjoying the SCV from the 45 yard line. Beautiful.

In Chester (many have stated how great this stadium is for acoustics), I sat around the 25 yard line, stil pretty decent seats, and the sound coming from SCV very different (not bad, but sure as heck not the same experience from the previous time I saw them). The difference was not because of the instruments, it was the speakers. And yet, sitting in that same seat in Chester, Crown sounded glorious.

I'm hope we never get to the point where everything is loud. When everything is loud, effect is lost.

One other point, where is the discussion on who has the loudest horn line this year?

Unfortunately, that discussion kind of gets lost in all the electronic goo we're getting.

Bugles versus Crown?

LOUDEST HORN LINE THIS YEAR?

Crown wins. Loudest horn line this year. May be the loudest horn line in the modern Bb era - but with all the electronics, does anyone know - or appreciate? Go ahead judges, keep rewarding fake sound!