2017 Boston Crusaders

11 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

I don't think Boston should change this aspect, but since you perceive the show in part as a "history lesson", it should perhaps be mentioned again that none of the "witches" in Salem were burned to death. Most were hanged. One person who refused to enter a plea was tortured to death by the placement of large stones on his chest. (All he would say is "more weight"--because he didn't enter a plea, he couldn't be found guilty and his family couldn't be disinherited.) Obviously burning is more visually effective.

One interesting aspect of The Crucible, Arthur Miller's famous play about the event that was in part a denunciation of the 1950s "witch hunt" tactics of anti-Communists, is that the hero, John Procter, is guilty of adultery, and the leader of the young women accusing so many of witchcraft knows that he would prefer to keep that sin private. One of Miller's points is that we all have secrets, and thus are all in danger of being compromised when a hysterical frenzy like this arises.

Maybe we should look at this more as an "awareness raising" to persecution and hysteria driving madness and wrongful accusations and prejudice and jealousy and anti-feminism, than a history lesson. The many wrongs these "witches" endured are being portrayed in a theatrical medium and apparently many people had no idea at all this had gone on to the extent it had.  If it is done with some creative license and some "inaccuracies" for the history minded, then so be it.  The point of it all is being made and being done in a way that the show is entertaining in its power and message.  And when you look at the nuance,  the little things being done by each MM (the pointing, whispering,  wary looks, anger, disgust and so on), the message and story is being communicated. It doesn't have to get so literal (creating a sad moment for the sake of having a sad moment so we all know there is a sadness to the entire period this all took place - as we stop and look back).  It IS supposed to entertain.

Some of the audience will be looking for and hearing the quality of the brass, the composition of the book, the percussion and front ensemble, the amazing guard work, the use of props as an integral part of the production.  Others will look at the entire package and the story being told.  All of that is quite OK. The show (no corps' show) can be all things to all people.  The Crusaders aren't  trying to teach history no matter how much some may want them to.  They are telling a story, and,  as evidenced by may posters comments, have raised an awareness about lies, accusations, persecution, hysteria, mob mentality that we can all see happening today in many instances.

Just wanted to bring up a different thought perspective on the history lesson aspect.  The burning and hanging (burnings versus hangings) are only part of many components to this whole story.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Er, I was responding to someone who said this show makes for a good history lesson. If not for that comment, I wouldn't have responded as I did.

I agree that the unintentional, harmless suggestion by Rhumbline above that Boston's show " should be on the History Channel " was thoroughly well meaning and complimentary, but his suggestion should not be taken literally here... neither should Boston's show be taken in a literal fashion either. Boston's show., like all Performing Arts endeavors ( Art, Music, Dance, Theatre, Cinema), is meant to be viewed thru the prism of wonder.. not thru the lens and prism of a literal based " History " documentary. Most people on here " get " this too, one would hope.  As such, if  Boston's show was to be put on a TV channel ( as Rhumbline suggested above ) it would not be best served on " The History Channel ", but instead on " The Bravo Channel" or similar. That said, I could live with the show on the PBS TV channel with all the other DCI Corps shows, but thats neither here nor there.

Edited by BRASSO

34 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

I agree that the unintentional, harmless suggestion by Rhumbline above that Boston's show " should be on the History Channel " was thoroughly well meaning and complimentary, but his suggestion should not be taken literally here... neither should Boston's show be taken in a literal fashion either. Boston's show., like all Performing Arts endeavors ( Art, Music, Dance, Theatre, Cinema), is meant to be viewed thru the prism of wonder.. not thru the lens and prism of a literal based " History " documentary. Most people on here " get " this too, one would hope.  As such, if  Boston's show was to be put on a TV channel ( as Rhumbline suggested above ) it would not be best served on " The History Channel ", but instead on " The Bravo Channel" or similar. That said, I could live with the show on the PBS TV channel with all the other DCI Corps shows, but thats neither here nor there.

Or FUSE perhaps?  Lol

• Like 2

OK. Go type in (SWT) on Wikipedia.  It will give you all info   1400+.    Boston has a 12 min show that is the best all around show in DCI this year IMO.  The only show 's that I will see live this year is when they come back to Boston.  What the kids/staff and along with the aulmi and volunteers etc have done in that heat is out standing.  (One show in  Boston this year.  99.99% in the others corps fields ).    AS a alum thanks to all the kids/staff this year.  No other corps has gone from 12th to what ever place they end up in the top 5 in DCI history.  To all thanks  this should be the best DCI season ever.  Thanks BAC for going that.

• Like 1

Just now, LabMaster said:

Or FUSE perhaps?  Lol

haha!!..  absolutely...oh your creative thought process today is " on fire ", LabMaster.. lol!.

16 minutes ago, emc2 said:

No other corps has gone from 12th to what ever place they end up in the top 5 in DCI history.  .

Boston is having a fabulous season,, perhaps unprecedented in upward placement movement within the TOP 12 in " DCI History ". Time will tell. ( Blue Stars went from 12th in '74 to 5th in '75 ). What Boston has done in modern day DCI history upward placement mobility this season is astonishing.

And they are potentially far from over yet this season too, imo

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, LabMaster said:

Maybe we should look at this more as an "awareness raising" to persecution and hysteria driving madness and wrongful accusations and prejudice and jealousy and anti-feminism, than a history lesson. The many wrongs these "witches" endured are being portrayed in a theatrical medium and apparently many people had no idea at all this had gone on to the extent it had.  If it is done with some creative license and some "inaccuracies" for the history minded, then so be it.  The point of it all is being made and being done in a way that the show is entertaining in its power and message.  And when you look at the nuance,  the little things being done by each MM (the pointing, whispering,  wary looks, anger, disgust and so on), the message and story is being communicated. It doesn't have to get so literal (creating a sad moment for the sake of having a sad moment so we all know there is a sadness to the entire period this all took place - as we stop and look back).  It IS supposed to entertain.

Some of the audience will be looking for and hearing the quality of the brass, the composition of the book, the percussion and front ensemble, the amazing guard work, the use of props as an integral part of the production.  Others will look at the entire package and the story being told.  All of that is quite OK. The show (no corps' show) can be all things to all people.  The Crusaders aren't  trying to teach history no matter how much some may want them to.  They are telling a story, and,  as evidenced by may posters comments, have raised an awareness about lies, accusations, persecution, hysteria, mob mentality that we can all see happening today in many instances.

Just wanted to bring up a different thought perspective on the history lesson aspect.  The burning and hanging (burnings versus hangings) are only part of many components to this whole story.

I thought most of the BAC regulars didn't want this show to have a sociopolitical message in it? Or atleast, that's the impression I got from the discussion a few pages back. 

17 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

I thought most of the BAC regulars didn't want this show to have a sociopolitical message in it? Or atleast, that's the impression I got from the discussion a few pages back. 

Like " most " Drum Corps alum/ fan bases, Boston's "regulars " is not a monolithic thinking group. As such, like all fans we take all the Corps shows, themes, designs, enjoyment levels, etc sometimes differently. So LabMaster could probably respond to you as he chooses too, as your question seems better posed to him, not  Boston Crusaders "  regulars " .

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

Hey BAC! Have a great weekend!! Practice, Do some Laundry, get better, and enjoy every min of your awesomeness. 

• Like 5

53 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Everyone gets something different from the show...It really does not matter what I WANT or what YOU want for that matter either...I prefer great brass...great percussion...and great guard.