Cadets 2017

It's really a shame to see all the nay-saying in here.  Are the Cadets only worthwhile if they are in the top 3?   I've never felt that.   Thank goodness for the alums and supporters of corps like Madison and Phantom who didn't dis them and throw in the towel when they aren't a top contender.   Disappointing.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Wadep66 said:

It's really a shame to see all the nay-saying in here.  Are the Cadets only worthwhile if they are in the top 3?   I've never felt that.   Thank goodness for the alums and supporters of corps like Madison and Phantom who didn't dis them and throw in the towel when they aren't a top contender.   Disappointing.

The Cadets are worthwhile when they put out shows that are competitive and aren't pandering. The Cadets are worthwhile when they don't force ideas and lead with subtlety. The Cadets are worthwhile when they come out with a cohesive idea and improve upon it instead of constantly going back to the drawing board midseason. It's annoying when people compare Cadets alums to the alum of other corps when Cadets are the second winningest corps in DCI. With a reputation like that, you should be putting out shows that drive people nuts EVEN WHEN YOU DON'T MEDAL OR WIN, instead of forcing people to go get a hotdog during your show. 

• Like 2

Alright, let's do this

Before I deliver my detailed critique I want to say that overall, especially viewed on its own, I like this show. There are things that don't work/are badly designed, but there are a ton of things that don't work. 

However, when you put it next to other top-level shows, the shortcomings are glaring. Not so much "Cavies/SCV were good, Cadets sucked!" but "Cadets were really good and had a really nice show, but Cavies/SCV were incredible!" They just aren't designing effective moments like other corps.

A huge thing in both 2016 and this year is pacing. I'm torn; I appreciate and enjoy the integrity and faithfulness of the arrangements, but it certainly seems to "take its time," if that makes sense. There's the chaotic beginning, then "Simple Song," which is lovely, but there is no "wow! that's EXCITING" moments for another minute and ten seconds (and even then the "payoff" is just them playing loud in a big set while the guard dances on church pews). Contrast the beginning of Bluecoats-- they're laying down grooves, using the prop, and building to a logical and satisfying impact. I like the idea of starting with a slow, more subtle piece instead of the usual opener, but it just isn't working. Throughout the show there are a lot of places where the pacing just lags, and you're kindof wondering where the "thread" is going, rather than feeling like you're in a well-oiled machine that is seemlessly speeding along...as MikeRapp said, it's just kinda boring. 

Shakos are sorely missed. With dark uniforms you need something that kinda contrasts and highlights each member, which makes kaleidescopic moments where, say, everyone layers into a cover-down much more satisfying subconsciously. When it's dark robes and no headgear, you lose a lot. Robes in general 1) Are dark, too much of one color, and don't "pop" off the turf 2) draws the visual focus downward to the bottom. So, the members with the robes overall look visually "muddy," bottom-heavy, and short. [No-hat look works much better with a light-colored uniform, see Bloo and SCV]

The only thing I felt was really BAD instead of "not that effective relative to what other corps are doing" was the tarp thing with a cross they added. It's all wrinkly as it gets dragged on the field, the members paw at it in cringe-worthy, mimey ways, they dump their uniform jackets on it, and it gets dragged away. It's bad! It's Phantom Regiment giant puppet bad.

New ending is whatever... They turned the props and brought out some giant silks to wave majestically behind a company front. It's nice but it's not WOW! 

That could pretty much sum up the whole production... I can imagine if my mom could see this show she would be like "That was really nice." Really nice doesn't cut it when BD, Bluecoats and SCV are making heads explode with excitement

• Like 3

I like the show.   You don't.  Different strokes.

Just now, 2000Cadet said:

The Cadets are worthwhile when they put out shows that are competitive and aren't pandering. The Cadets are worthwhile when they don't force ideas and lead with subtlety. The Cadets are worthwhile when they come out with a cohesive idea and improve upon it instead of constantly going back to the drawing board midseason. It's annoying when people compare Cadets alums to the alum of other corps when Cadets are the second winningest corps in DCI. With a reputation like that, you should be putting out shows that drive people nuts EVEN WHEN YOU DON'T MEDAL OR WIN, instead of forcing people to go get a hotdog during your show. 

And all the other times, all those other years, the Cadets are NOT worthwhile? Got it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, seen-it-all said:

And all the other times, all those other years, the Cadets are NOT worthwhile? Got it.

If that's what you wanna take from it, then you didn't get the point of what I said. Too bad. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 2000Cadet said:

If that's what you wanna take from it, then you didn't get the point of what I said. Too bad. 

I took away the same thing.

Trying to remember thoughts from last night--

Youth and immaturity of the corps is very clear. A couple of big, senseless mental errors in the opener, the most glaring being a tuba stepping off early at the end of the Simple Song hit.

This makes me wonder--are the mental errors because they haven't rehearsed that section in a long time? In 2006 we spent so much time changing (completely re-doing the beginning minute, cutting down White Rabbit for pacing issues, trying a million different things with the pink benches, putting on the new ending) that we cleaned the ballad drill TWICE all season--one vis block at Broken Arrow, OK and one in Allentown.