Cadets 2017

21 minutes ago, Eleran said:

Talk about over-generalization.

That's this entire thread last night and this morning 

people who loved the show now say the season is over

the annual cadets critics have emerged to feed

over reacting to Hopkins Facebook post... should they have known? Yes. Did he own it? Yes. Did he blame others or the members? No

the kids have performed 4 minutes of the show last night for the very first time - let's see how things seem in a few days

stop overreacting, over-generalizing and placing your personal enjoyment of a show completely in the judges hands

i thought the scores were very dubious at best last night. My faith in DCI adjudication died in 2007

Cadets will refine their program greatly over the next week or two, let's see where things stand then. 

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

That's this entire thread last night and this morning 

over reacting to Hopkins Facebook post... should they have known? Yes. Did he own it? Yes. Did he blame others or the members? No

the kids have performed 4 minutes of the show last night for the very first time - let's see how things seem in a few days

stop overreacting, over-generalizing and placing your personal enjoyment of a show completely in the judges hands

i thought the scores were very dubious at best last night. My faith in DCI adjudication died in 2007

Cadets will refine their program greatly over the next week or two, let's see where things stand then. 

There is more season ahead of us than is behind us.  Patience. 

• Like 2

If they do wind up finishing behind Boston this year, that'll hurt for sure. Especially after all that's happened with staff and designers leaving, etc. But I don't think there's any need to truly panic yet for the Cadets or their fans. Until the day comes when they lose to the Crossmen (don't see it happening this year, but maybe sooner than people think). Then we may see some substantial organizational changes made at the top.

10 minutes ago, seen-it-all said:

If they do wind up finishing behind Boston this year, that'll hurt for sure. Especially after all that's happened with staff and designers leaving, etc. But I don't think there's any need to truly panic yet for the Cadets or their fans. Until the day comes when they lose to the Crossmen (don't see it happening this year, but maybe sooner than people think). Then we may see some substantial organizational changes made at the top.

The same could have been said last year about losing to Boston. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Wadep66 said:

It's really a shame to see all the nay-saying in here.  Are the Cadets only worthwhile if they are in the top 3?   I've never felt that.   Thank goodness for the alums and supporters of corps like Madison and Phantom who didn't dis them and throw in the towel when they aren't a top contender.   Disappointing.

Good point.  As an outsider looking in I think it's been hard for fans and alumni of the Cadets to watch the past 4 years. When your history is so littered with championships and regional titles and top 3 finishes it can be tough to cut the chord and view this 2017 corps as a New Beginning.  

But it is a new beginning.

If the sky is falling, as many have eluded to, it began to fall in 2006 and 2008. It fell further in 2010. They resurrected themselves for a while with 2011, 2012, and 2013.  But in 2014 they took a potentially great show and killed it. In 2015 they had a silly show theme to go with the majestic works of Shostakovich. They had a championship music ensemble and still couldn't make the show work.  They killed the GE with black uniforms, and ultimately they couldn't fine tune the guard.  By 2016 it was clear they had fallen. Still had some talent, but the design was a mess. Kept changing the show. Nothing seemed to work. If they had normal talent that show would have finished in 9th or 10th. 

The present corps (2017) is almost entirely new staff and design team. They have many new marching members, and this style of show is quite different from their typical show -- not to mention the risk they are taking with Mass. It takes time when you put a new staff together. They will also have to develop these new members. I say this is the beginning of the new era for The Cadets. I think their members are doing a nice job.  It's a much better show than last year, and their score last night was pretty good. 

Edited by jwillis35
  • Like 7

"You're either with the show or against it; you're not allowed to change your opinion with multiple viewings as the season/shows evolve."

"The show is good, people just hate the corps because they're haters."

"It's fine, they just need to clean."

"Well, I still enjoyed it."

"The system is rigged, big league."

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, FTNK said:

"You're either with the show or against it; you're not allowed to change your opinion with multiple viewings as the season/shows evolve."

"The show is good, people just hate the corps because they're haters."

"It's fine, they just need to clean."

"Well, I still enjoyed it."

"The system is rigged, big league."

Pretty much...

Just now, 2000Cadet said:

The same could have been said last year about losing to Boston.

I guess I just see it differently. It's one thing to lose to another eastern corps, even with longtime rivalries going back decades (Boston) or lots of shared top shelf design and instructional talent (Crown) over the years. But losing to a corps you use to actually OWN? As in they were property of YEA? Yeah, I'm thinking that would escalate the panic in the YEA inner circles of power to a much larger degree. I could be wrong. It sure would be interesting to see IMO!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, jwillis35 said:

Good point.  As an outsider looking in I think it's been hard for fans and alumni of the Cadets to watch the past 4 years. When your history is so littered with championships and regional titles and top 3 finishes it can be tough to cut the chord and view this 2017 corps as a New Beginning.  

But it is a new beginning.

If the sky is falling, as many have eluded to, it began to fall in 2006 and 2008. It fell further in 2010. They resurrected themselves for a while with 2011, 2012, and 2013.  But in 2014 they took a potentially great show and killed it. In 2015 they had a silly show theme to go with the majestic works of Shostakovich. They had a championship music ensemble and still couldn't make the show work.  They killed the GE with black uniforms, and ultimately they couldn't fine tune the guard.  By 2016 it was clear they had fallen. Still had some talent, but the design was a mess. Kept changing the show. Nothing seemed to work. If they had normal talent that show would have finished in 9th or 10th. 

The present corps (2017) is almost entirely new staff and design team. They have many new marching members, and this style of show is quite different from their typical show -- not to mention the risk they are taking with Mass. It takes time when you put a new staff together. They will also have to develop these new members. I say this is the beginning of the new era for The Cadets. I think their members are doing a nice job.  It's a much better show than last year, and their score last night was pretty good. 

I guess the question is why has BD able to maintain their top status where as the Cadets seem to struggle for even top 3?

2 minutes ago, seen-it-all said:

I guess I just see it differently. It's one thing to lose to another eastern corps, even with longtime rivalries going back decades (Boston) or lots of shared top shelf design and instructional talent (Crown) over the years. But losing to a corps you use to actually OWN? As in they were property of YEA? Yeah, I'm thinking that would escalate the panic in the YEA inner circles of power to a much larger degree. I could be wrong. It sure would be interesting to see IMO!

Crown was part of YEA. 

• Like 1