Cadets 2017

Then you have a corps like Blue Devils, whose basic uniform has not strayed too far from what might be considered their "traditional" look... and they have adapted quite well to the modern-day DCI and its emphasis on different types of movement/choreography.

Of course, there is a difference... perhaps a big one... between the BD uniform tradition and the Cadets' uniform tradition.

As with anything, once we see the corps on the field this summer, we can then form our opinions... good, bad, or indifferent.

19 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

Then you have a corps like Blue Devils, whose basic uniform has not strayed too far from what might be considered their "traditional" look... and they have adapted quite well to the modern-day DCI and its emphasis on different types of movement/choreography.

Of course, there is a difference... perhaps a big one... between the BD uniform tradition and the Cadets' uniform tradition.

As with anything, once we see the corps on the field this summer, we can then form our opinions... good, bad, or indifferent.

yup

when you go back and watch and older BD video they have done a very good job of cleaning up the design and slenderizing the profile of the uniform design. The jacket is much more incorporated now and the lines are much more modern and sleek -- yet it still reads as a "BD" uniform. Brilliant job of it. 

I also agree that their "classic" design lends itself better to morphing than a West Point uniform as traditional and recognizable as Cadets does

In the last dozen years, ( 12 ) only the Blue Devils have won more DCI Titles than the Cadets have.  Not Crown. Not Bluecoats. Not Cavaliers. Not Phantom Regiment. The Cadets wore a  Cadet styed uniform, and it did not impede their recent Title wins in the least.  The comment that modern day " choreography " requires the Cadets to ditch their 80 + year cadets styled, iconic uniform is downright silly, imo. Should the Santa Clara Vanguard now go hatless too ? Maybe ditch their corps colors and maybe wear some baby blue or some such in colors ?  Afterall, SCV hasn't gotten so much as a sniff of a DCI Title in 20 years now. Maybe its the colors or their style of attire that's held them back.. ( I know, its silly, but that seems to be the ridiculous logic thats on display here on DCP with a couple of posters.. lol!)

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, wallace said:

giganticThe only settled matter is BD and Crown, who embraced theme in their uniforms, fared better especially in the Visual and GE captions which recent history proves the Cadets are not as proficient.

When a fan looks at the uniforms out on the field with ALL the Corps, there is the requirement to have LOTS of imagination to make ANY of these uniforms work theme wise.

For example, in 2012 the Blue Devils won a DCI Title with the theme " Cabaret Voltaire ". Was their " progressive" uniform of 2012 befitting the theme ? Are you kidding ? Not without a heap of imagination ( haha!). That's because not a single performing act at the Club Voltaire in Zurich, Switzerland in the 1920's looked even remotely like what the Blue devils wore in the Corps proper in competition in 2012. Not even close. The performers and artists there there at that Club Voltaire did not look ANYTHING like what the BD uniform in the Corps proper was like in 2012. If you ( or anyone else here ) doubts this.. go do your own research, and produce a single act that wore anything like the Corps Uniform of the Blue Devils did in 2012. You won't find it. Hell, the Cadet styled uniform could have actually worked as better realism, as the acts there were anti war, and the Cadets styled uniform would have worked BETTER in my opinion as a tongue in cheek costuming for the supreme absurdity that was part and parcel of the Club Voltaire scene there in the 1920's. So the notion that the " progressive " attire fits the " choreography " of the themes better now is mostly nonsense in many cases, imo... ... and most importantly, the DCI judges certainly were able to look past the complete incongruity of the BD's misapplied " progressive " costuming BD wore 2012 with that theme, and yet awarded them a DCI Title for that season, despite the obvious inappropriateness of that attire ( and most certainly the headgear ) with the chosen theme.

Edited by BRASSO

2 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

Really?  I mean there's still blue in the uniform I guess.  I think it's just that they started changing quite some time ago so you're used to it. And they've continued to mess with it.  So you're also used to change.

v24Y2mL.jpg

txmq64N.jpg

• Like 3

(A) Arguments no one has made in this thread: 

• Uniforms earn you points. (no but they can cost you points)
  • Everyone needs to change their uniform.   (no idea where that came from)
  • Corps that change their uniforms automatically improve in placement. (no but it can cost you placement) 
  • Modern corps uniforms change to reflect the theme of a show. (most change to reflect the color palette)
  • Uniforms don't impact a show's success: (Cadets 2011 in all maroon -- oops that wouldn't work would it?) 

(B) Arguments posters have made in this thread:

• Cadets military style uniforms don't lend themselves to modern choreography.

And yet some posters seem to think that by arguing about (A) they somehow contradict (B).  

Conclusion?

gxSdPoQ.gif

Edited by corpsband
  • Like 3

22 minutes ago, corpsband said:

Really?  I mean there's still blue in the uniform I guess.  I think it's just that they started changing quite some time ago so you're used to it. And they've continued to mess with it.  So you're also used to change.

v24Y2mL.jpg

txmq64N.jpg

Changes, for sure... but still that essential "BD" look. No need to try to read my mind as to whether I'm "used to the changes."  Mind-reading is not your forte.  LOL.

They've never quite gone the "full costume" route. Not saying Cadets are gonna do that... not many corps have. Just saying that BD's basic uniform structure has worked for them, for decades. No radical "who is that corps?" changes, at least as far as I'm concerned... even when they went the Gray and Black Devils route. :)

Along the lines of what George said.... BD has handled their changes better than any other corps. Again, my opinion.

The Cadets Cadet Style uniform is no less incongruous with the chosen themes than most of the DCI Corps.. including the Two Blues, Crown, Phantom Regiment, Cavaliers, SCV, etc  in any given year, imo.  For example,Crown's uniforms proper of last year fit well the " choreography " of their stagecoach, spaghetti western 2016 theme ?....... Really ? Says who ?  The headgear too ? Oh really. ( lol!)

Edited by BRASSO

8 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

Changes, for sure... but still that essential "BD" look. No need to try to read my mind as to whether I'm "used to the changes."  Mind-reading is not your forte.  LOL.

They've never quite gone the "full costume" route. Not saying Cadets are gonna do that... not many corps have. Just saying that BD's basic uniform structure has worked for them, for decades. No radical "who is that corps?" changes, at least as far as I'm concerned... even when they went the Gray and Black Devils route. :)

Along the lines of what George said.... BD has handled their changes better than any other corps. Again, my opinion.

What is this your "essential BD look"?  Because if I showed those two uniforms to someone who has not followed DCI over the years,  I doubt they'd conclude they are the same corps.    Again -- I suspect it's just the incremental nature of the many many changes.  

In any case,  BD's uniform has never been military-styled.  So when they dance, it doesn't look strange. (well -- it doesn't look strange because of the uniform).  OTOH the Cadets are saddled with a uniform that does conflict with the dance you might see in modern DCI.  And that's the point.  They don't need to go to a full-on "costume" style.  They just need something that doesn't make them look like soldiers doing dance moves :-)