Cadets 2017

1 hour ago, wsradeker said:

2017 is the 200th anniversary of Bernstein's birth...

#fakemath

54 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

IF that was the case you'd fail to mention it lol

True enough.  I'm always more interested in what various designers have done recently than their distant history.   There's no malevolent intent;  we just look at things from different perspectives.  I don't deny that their history has shaped them or think that it's not important. Just that it often has little bearing on what they're doing now.  I think you read too much into the whole matter but that's fine.   You and X will be there to append "Cadets" to whatever I post :colgate: 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, corpsband said:

True enough.  I'm always more interested in what various designers have done recently than their distant history.   There's no malevolent intent;  we just look at things from different perspectives.  I don't deny that their history has shaped them or think that it's not important. Just that it often has little bearing on what they're doing now.  I think you read too much into the whole matter but that's fine.   You and X will be there to append "Cadets" to whatever I post :colgate: 

my pleasure..

10 hours ago, corpsband said:

"distant history" or "formative years"

"what they were doing then" or "someone present who quickly identified their talent and potential and leveraged/nurtured/developed it"

as someone who manages many thousands of people I learned a long time ago that success is what happens when talent and hard work meet opportunity

there are people in the activity (such as Hopkins) naturally able to identify raw talent and leadership (Steve Jobs) - then there's a whole host of others who just buy it (Microsoft)

1 hour ago, George Dixon said:

"what they were doing then" or "someone present who quickly identified their talent and potential and leveraged/nurtured/developed it"

as someone who manages many thousands of people I learned a long time ago that success is what happens when talent and hard work meet opportunity

there are people in the activity (such as Hopkins) naturally able to identify raw talent and leadership (Steve Jobs) - then there's a whole host of others who just buy it (Microsoft)

Very true. Cadets staff has morphed many many times over the past 35 years since George has been Fuhrer yet it remains a breeding ground of talent. The corps that are succeeding from Cadet alum teaching is amazing. I'm glad we have some talented alumni back teaching this season. Some old, some young.  (Tom Aungst, John Lemire, Philip Traini, Jon Bilby, Drew Shanefield, Mike Terry to name a few). Hardly outside talent that doesn't understand Cadets. 

Edited by Tobias
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Tobias said:

Very true. Cadets staff has morphed many many times over the past 35 years since George has been Fuhrer yet it remains a breeding ground of talent. The corps that are succeeding from Cadet alum teaching is amazing. I'm glad we have some talented alumni back teaching this great. (Tom Aungst, John Lemire, Philip Traini, Jon Bilby, Drew Shanefield, Mike Terry to name a few). Hardly outside talent that doesn't understand Cadets. 

2 hours ago, George Dixon said:

I've pondered what a "faculty family tree" would look like if GH took out a full page ad in the DCI annual program. The Ad would list all the Cadets alums teaching, Administering, and (but very few) adjudicating DCI.  The names and affiliated corps would fill a whole page I am sure. Adding those others who have taught at Cadets may also require another page.

More than a boasting device, although appropriate for the 75th and 80th anniversary years (perhaps for the 85th in two years), it would be a recruiting tool acknowledging to the current fans, particularly parents and band directors, how the Cadets' experience has touched so many and harvested fertile ground for the activity. None of the other corps are clones of the Cadets except for the two attributes of building character for youth and performing excellence in all things. Although the young generations seem to know who is  affiliated where, the noobies and newer fans might be a bit astounded at how vast the faculty is of Cadet alums.  Of course like many of my ideas, my living the vow of poverty in practice doesn't give me the resources to fund such an advertisement, but perhaps some other donor would.

Edited by xandandl
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Tobias said:

Very true. Cadets staff has morphed many many times over the past 35 years since George has been Fuhrer yet it remains a breeding ground of talent. The corps that are succeeding from Cadet alum teaching is amazing. I'm glad we have some talented alumni back teaching this season. Some old, some young.  (Tom Aungst, John Lemire, Philip Traini, Jon Bilby, Drew Shanefield, Mike Terry to name a few). Hardly outside talent that doesn't understand Cadets. 

Exciting! Can't wait to see what it yields 

9 hours ago, xandandl said:

I've pondered what a "faculty family tree" would look like if GH took out a full page ad in the DCI annual program. The Ad would list all the Cadets alums teaching, Administering, and (but very few) adjudicating DCI.  The names and affiliated corps would fill a whole page I am sure. Adding those others who have taught at Cadets may also require another page.

More than a boasting device, although appropriate for the 75th and 80th anniversary years (perhaps for the 85th in two years), it would be a recruiting tool acknowledging to the current fans, particularly parents and band directors, how the Cadets' experience has touched so many and harvested fertile ground for the activity. None of the other corps are clones of the Cadets except for the two attributes of building character for youth and performing excellence in all things. Although the young generations seem to know who is  affiliated where, the noobies and newer fans might be a bit astounded at how vast the faculty is of Cadet alums.  Of course like many of my ideas, my living the vow of poverty in practice doesn't give me the resources to fund such an advertisement, but perhaps some other donor would.

Are you a nun?