Cadets 2017

10 hours ago, tommynev said:

DCI had a notable shift in 2016 (almost none of the corps featured singers) and it resulted in a wash of forgettable and lackluster shows.  So glad Cadets are re-righting that ship and putting the focus back where it belongs, on the vocalists.. even if it's only for 8 minutes of an 11 minute show.

If you found 2016's shows forgettable idk what's to tell you. The quality in 2016 was most definitely higher than 2015 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, 2000Cadet said:

Where are you hearing this? I wanna hear some brass! Yes. I am no longer telling Cadets to shut up until June. It's June (almost).

I'm not totally sure why I feel that way about the vocals thing... just seems like a cool idea.

I agree with you on the brass... I hope they release the hounds, so to speak.  And it the vocals dominate at the expense of the brass... then I don't think that's a good thing.

We shall see. And hear.  LOL.

14 minutes ago, ZachDrumCorps said:

A lot of people seem to be ignoring the fact that they have Bernstein for the next 3 years...seems to set up possible WSS for 2019 (75th anniversary)??

Possible show title:

"West Side Story. Again. This Time With Lenny's Blessing"  :tongue:

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

I'm not totally sure why I feel that way about the vocals thing... just seems like a cool idea.

I agree with you on the brass... I hope they release the hounds, so to speak.  And it the vocals dominate at the expense of the brass... then I don't think that's a good thing.

We shall see. And hear.  LOL.

Oh no, I wasn't implying that I am against the whole choir idea. I just thought you had heard a clip of the brass.

29 minutes ago, ZachDrumCorps said:

A lot of people seem to be ignoring the fact that they have Bernstein for the next 3 years...seems to set up possible WSS for 2019 (75th anniversary)??

2019 would be their 85th, no?  They did WSS for their 75th in 2009.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, chaddyt said:

2019 would be their 85th, no?  They did WSS for their 75th in 2009.

Please no more WSS.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, chaddyt said:

The concept itself doesn't scream "championship" to me, but in all honestly... concepts rarely do.  It does seem to be pretty heavy, and that worries me a bit as the Cadets (read: Hop) don't always handle heavy stuff with a ton of design sophistication.  I'm hoping that having Lenny's people tied to this forces smarter decisions in this regard.

If pre-season hype on brass and percussion holds true, it seems like they could be a possible dark-horse though.  My expectations for this corps have steadily waned over the past few years, and while I always hope for their competitive success, this year is firmly in the wait-and-see camp.

I hope to be pleasantly surprised.

And sliding down ramps in jumpsuits did? 

Just now, Tobias said:

And sliding down ramps in jumpsuits did? 

In all honesty, when I saw Bluecoats in the theater last year, I thought they might have a shot.  It was the most interesting show performed that night.

That said, the show title and musical selections alone wouldn't have made me think "championship".  And as I stated, concepts alone rarely do.  It ended up coming down to design for them last year, and it will be the case for all corps again this year.

22 minutes ago, 2000Cadet said:

Oh no, I wasn't implying that I am against the whole choir idea. I just thought you had heard a clip of the brass.

Man... I wish I did. LOL.

There are times when I'm about as out of the loop as "out of the loop" gets!!! :tongue:

• Like 1