Cadets 2017

14 hours ago, cadet93 said:

Here is what I would do.

Hire a top WGI designer and start a winterguard with them heading it.

That is what SCV and Bluecoats ae doing, and it works.

That is all I see helping them get talent right now.  They would have to hire staff that have followings like BAC did last year.  This "local PA design team thing" is not going to work.  Its just not how the activity is now.

Of course, good luck finding top designers, staff that will work with George.

Drew and Tom are great.  I am talking more about visual design.

Blooo has a WGI guard?

9 minutes ago, afd said:

Blooo has a WGI guard?

beginning this Fall besides the training guard they have had there for a few years, Bloo will be hosting a World Class guard to fill the vacuum left by Onyx heading to Europe. Since JVD is no longer with SCV Winter CG, it will give him something to do as well.

13 minutes ago, xandandl said:

beginning this Fall besides the training guard they have had there for a few years, Bloo will be hosting a World Class guard to fill the vacuum left by Onyx heading to Europe. Since JVD is no longer with SCV Winter CG, it will give him something to do as well.

This is incorrect.  SCV's championship winning winter guard is basically the staff of Bluecoats.  SCV decided to not put a winter guard out so Bluecoats will be putting a new World class guard out manned by the same staff.  Onyx will also be putting their guard out (despite saying after WGI they are done!).

i guess GH has checked out of this year's DCI championships already. 

The corps isn't practicing (again) or trying to improve (again). They have (another) 4 hour block for LAUNDRY, only days before going home.  I think that's about the 8th laundry stop this tour. Back in the legacy days, it was one every 3 weeks. I even remember the volunteers and admin staff doing the laundry for the corps' mms in Lenox so that the corps could get some well needed practice time. But those were the days when the drum corps was the priority not running off to band camps. In fact the corps even won some medals and rings in those days, not the ones for who had the brightest tighty-whities.

Edited by xandandl
  • Like 1

Just now, DCI-86 said:

This is incorrect.  SCV's championship winning winter guard is basically the staff of Bluecoats.  SCV decided to not put a winter guard out so Bluecoats will be putting a new World class guard out manned by the same staff.  Onyx will also be putting their guard out (despite saying after WGI they are done!).

Denise Bonfiglio has never been part of Bloo's guard organization and a number of other SCV's winter guard staff are elsewhere now including Cadets. Your info about Onyx is more updated than mine. Now back to Cadets' thread.

2 minutes ago, xandandl said:

Denise Bonfiglio has never been part of Bloo's guard organization and a number of other SCV's winter guard staff are elsewhere now including Cadets. Your info about Onyx is more updated than mine. Now back to Cadets' thread.

No she hasn't.  I was referring to the design staff (Jon Vanderkoff, Greg Legola etc.)

4 minutes ago, xandandl said:

i guess GH has checked out already from this year's championships. The corps isn't practicing (again) or improving (again). They have (another) 4 hour block for LAUNDRY.  I think that's about the 8th laundry stop this tour. Back in the legacy days, it was one every 3 weeks. I even remember the volunteers and admin staff doing the laundry for the corps in Lenox so that the corps could get some well needed practice time. But those were the days...

Seemed like we (Gahfield) only did laundry twice in 1984. Not sure this is an issue since they had planned to do this last week but opted to wait since they were at Franklin Field.At some point it is what it is and just working the members to death will not do anything other than push them away for next year. With a younger corps the goal to retain as many as members as you can for next year. I know that was what the staff was preaching in 1986. The show was what it was. It was design issues... not member performance. So many staff, while still striving to get the show as good as possible, also began to focus on retention. This included how we rehearsed. This strategy worked well and laid the ground work for the 1987 Championship. Maybe we could be so lucky again!

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, xandandl said:

i guess GH has checked out of this year's DCI championships already. 

The corps isn't practicing (again) or trying to improve (again). They have (another) 4 hour block for LAUNDRY, only days before going home.  I think that's about the 8th laundry stop this tour. Back in the legacy days, it was one every 3 weeks. I even remember the volunteers and admin staff doing the laundry for the corps' mms in Lenox so that the corps could get some well needed practice time. But those were the days when the drum corps was the priority not running off to band camps. In fact the corps even won some medals and rings in those days, not the ones for who had the brightest tighty-whities.

If you are going off the schedule that is posted on the Cadets app, I'm not sure that's correct.  The schedule for the next two days is identical, and that's just not possible.  From what I have been told, the corps is very excited about tuning up these two days for the prelims.  Morale is extremely high, they were very pleased with the progress they made at last night's show, and NO ONE has checked out.  Please get your facts straight.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MusicManNJ said:

Seemed like we (Gahfield) only did laundry twice in 1984. Not sure this is an issue since they had planned to do this last week but opted to wait since they were at Franklin Field.At some point it is what it is and just working the members to death will not do anything other than push them away for next year. With a younger corps the goal to retain as many as members as you can for next year. I know that was what the staff was preaching in 1986. The show was what it was. It was design issues... not member performance. So many staff, while still striving to get the show as good as possible, also began to focus on retention. This included how we rehearsed. This strategy worked well and laid the ground work for the 1987 Championship. Maybe we could be so lucky again!

Those who base their lives on luck are about as successful as those lotto addicts I see lining up each day at the gin mill across the street.

I don't think the motivation this year is a problem with the mms. It seems like the staff has lost the competitive edge.

Just now, Icer said:

If you are going off the schedule that is posted on the Cadets app, I'm not sure that's correct.  The schedule for the next two days is identical, and that's just not possible.  From what I have been told, the corps is very excited about tuning up these two days for the prelims.  Morale is extremely high, they were very pleased with the progress they made at last night's show, and NO ONE has checked out.  Please get your facts straight.

mentally checked out, not physically removed. I don't do apps and am reading what the corps posted this morning on its page. I agree the mms are enthusiastic. It's the staff that seems to be slagging. However, although no practice time, GH's pontifications are still scheduled.