Cadets 2017

Isn't it amazing how if your percussion is in 7th, your brass is 7th (or very close) and your color guard is also 7th (or very close). Uncanny!  Yes this scoring system is totally objective!  You could replace 7th with 3rd or 11th. Remarkable how consistently all categories line up across the board. A cynic could almost claim the judges slot them that way. You couldn't possibly have a first place percussion and a 6th place guard. 

Edited by HockeyDad

Here is what I would do.

Hire a top WGI designer and start a winterguard with them heading it.

That is what SCV and Bluecoats ae doing, and it works.

That is all I see helping them get talent right now.  They would have to hire staff that have followings like BAC did last year.  This "local PA design team thing" is not going to work.  Its just not how the activity is now.

Of course, good luck finding top designers, staff that will work with George.

Drew and Tom are great.  I am talking more about visual design.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, MusicManNJ said:

It has been (and Kelly and Donna have attended in the past). Not sure why they were off on their own since I did not attend Saturday as I normally do. They are all great Cadets alum!

yes, I've known them both since they first auditioned and Kelly transferred from the Troopers, well before she became a Federal Trooper.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

I'm not gonna blame Tom. The battery is smoking hot. And he can only write to work with what the brass gives him. and 7th in percussion is still ###### impressive because the quality in DCi this year surpasses any other year ever top to bottom

My question still remains: why are the percussion achievement scores not higher?  It's not the visual; their drill is far less taxing than most Cadets previous seasons whether Zingali, Sylvester, or Sacktig were writing. 

That isn't just Tom I realize. His responsibility is more the content score with the adviso you cite of what he has been given.

1 hour ago, HockeyDad said:

Isn't it amazing how if your percussion is in 7th, your brass is 7th (or very close) and your color guard is also 7th (or very close). Uncanny!  Yes this scoring system is totally objective!  You could replace 7th with 3rd or 11th. Remarkable how consistently all categories line up across the board. A cynic could almost claim the judges slot them that way. You couldn't possibly have a first place percussion and a 6th place guard. 

Although Phantom Regiment did in 2010 with Into the Light

1 minute ago, Just Here said:

Although Phantom Regiment did in 2010 with Into the Light

and there is the example of Tom Floats" Oakland Crusaders in the '70's who won percussion in prelims and didn't even make Finals.

2 hours ago, HockeyDad said:

Not amazing when you consider that there are six corps that are ourdesigning/outperforming the Cadets in percussion, brass, and color guard.

Which of the top six would you move the Cadets past in any of those three captions?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, HockeyDad said:

Oh come on. It could also just be that the quality of a line is 7th all around. 

Judges, especially percussion judges, aren't afraid to call it as they see it. Phantom Regiment HAS won drums as a 6th place corps. 

Hell, their guard scored 4th this year at a regional while the corps has been hanging around 8th all year