Petition for Michael Gaines to return to dci

I really liked bluecoats show this year, but I worry that they may have changed the game in a way in which 'drill' becomes less important, and it becomes more about staging.

I feel that it has been becoming less important in recent years anyhow, with more corps choosing to represent many musical moments with body movement rather than marching. This was a great season in dci, but when it comes to drill design, there weren't those 'wow' moments that we got in 90's/00's. I really miss that!

It is asinine that the HANDS DOWN best in the business, Michael Gaines, is not designing for an ensemble in 'marching musics major league'. DCI needs him back! He can show us that cool drill is still relevant, and bring back those 'wow' visual moments! I would be ecstatic if he went back to the cavaliers, but I will take him with any corps now.

Seriously Michael Gaines, we deserve to see the best. Come back to DCI!

Sign (comment) if you agree... or just to discuss

I don't think it's up to me to tell Michael Gaines (or anyone else) what they should be doing for a living or where he should work.

Gaines seems pretty happy with where his focuses are right now-both personally and professionally. Some online petition or begging isn't going to change his involvement in the activity.

If he wants to come back, he will, and there will be people that will try to hire him. If he doesn't, then it's not really a discussion, IMO.

• Like 1

He wrote for the Japanese group that won the wind ensemble competition at WGI last April. I see a lot of what we saw in other drum corps shows this last summer. I like what Pete Weber and Leon May write. I loved parts of Hinshaw's drill. I do think drill was a bit secondary for Bloo and BD this last summer.

Edited by Forevergreen

Re: the 3D drill, does no one remember that Cavaliers had ladders in their 05 show? This concept is literally more than a decade old. Even earlier if that wasn't the first time it happened.

Also, and I'm a Gaines fan, I don't think his stuff would translate as well now. Look back at 00-06 Cavies, and yes, his stuff was innovative as hell. But now, a lot of corps are marching that same style or even more interesting things. The big pinwheel block in Cavies 02? BK did it in their closer in 2015. The "push/stretch the block thing from Cavies 06? Academy did it this past season! As for the geometric style we've come to associate with Gaines, Sacktig's work has picked up that same look for a decade, Pete Webber took it to another level in general, and many other designers have incorporated it in their styles. I feel like we're just desensitized to how cool drill in general has become over the past 10 to 15 years at almost every corps' level.

Re: the 3D drill, does no one remember that Cavaliers had ladders in their 05 show? This concept is literally more than a decade old. Even earlier if that wasn't the first time it happened.

If we're talking about ladders, the Cavalier's had the single "ladder" that the guard guy climbed up in 1995 if that counts. Lol.

• Like 1

He did drum corps for 25 years.

He's busy in WGI and marching band writing.

Maybe he wants to enjoy time at home and actually have an off season. There's something to be said for time to simply sit and enjoy.

Interesting. what did he do before writing for the cavaliers?

Taught Cavaliers, marched, wrote drill.

I don't remember which forum it was, but earlier this year I actually asked "Is it just me or is drill lacking this year?"