The Cavaliers 2017

On the topic of non-2017 program news, the Cavaliers' WGI Winds group, Chromium Winds, won their division's title and Fan Favorite in their inaugural appearance at WGI Championships. Congratulations on your 8th title, Cavaliers!

• Like 7

This time last year when Cavs announced their program, I wasn't impressed. I didn't think this staff had what it took to bring a show concept like that to life in a way that would really resonate and compete for a top spot. Boy was I wrong, and now I'm very interested in what they can do with this type of theme. Bronze medal, anyone? 

Anyone in the top 7, including the Blue Knights, could feasibly compete for a bronze medal, it's going to be very competitive, but this Cavs design staff has convinced me they're worthy, BUT - I don't think the brass line was all that great - I think a lot of other things carried them that far - let's see what the judges say about them - can't wait to see how it all unfolds, and can't wait to see them all this summer in person!!!!! Good luck, Green Machine!

Edited by BoyWonder1911
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, BoyWonder1911 said:

This time last year when Cavs announced their program, I wasn't impressed. I didn't think this staff had what it took to bring a show concept like that to life in a way that would really resonate and compete for a top spot. Boy was I wrong, and now I'm very interested in what they can do with this type of theme. Bronze medal, anyone? 

Anyone in the top 7, including the Blue Knights, could feasibly compete for a bronze medal, it's going to be very competitive, but this Cavs design staff has convinced me they're worthy, BUT - I don't think the brass line was all that great - I think a lot of other things carried them that far - let's see what the judges say about them - can't wait to see how it all unfolds, and can't wait to see them all this summer in person!!!!! Good luck, Green Machine!

My son is a new addition to that Brass line this year. And I can't wait to see what the judges say about them! My heart says they are going to take a step up this year. My head says I'll know more when I see the first offering in the third week of June.   :-) 

• Like 1

Just now, PopcornEater1963 said:

My son is a new addition to that Brass line this year. And I can't wait to see what the judges say about them! My heart says they are going to take a step up this year. My head says I'll know more when I see the first offering in the third week of June.   :-) 

Their brass line was good, it wasn't great, definitely not better than anyone above them, or even The Cadets, but I expect their success from last season to carry on to this one. 

But man....it's going to be competitive....Bluecoats won, you'd have to expect them to at least medal again, Blue Devils are in the running EVERY YEAR for a Gold - to think they are going to NOT medal is unthinkable - Crown is also very good and could/should medal again, and they are hungry for another gold - SCV has been beating on the door for the last 5 years - one would think they are going to medal again at some point - could it be this year??? Cavaliers, of course we just mentioned them, looks like they're ready to compete - and then there's the Cadets - still a #### good corps - could medal at any point - and if you want to throw in Blue Knights who stay competitive, I don't really think they could medal, but crazy things have happened - 

so realistically we got 6 corps who should win a medal. Lol. Whoever DOESN'T medal, it's going to be a disappointment. 

What I really hope happens is that judges score them closer together. We see Blue Knights who scored just over 90 points last season for 7th - realistically I think that show deserved at least 92, perhaps 93. And then score the corps above them from that point. Cadets didn't deserve a 92.x, that was a 95 point show. 

I want to see 6 corps score above 95 - that's what they should end up deserving, quit scoring them on a curve. I hate that crap.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, BoyWonder1911 said:

Their brass line was good, it wasn't great, definitely not better than anyone above them, or even The Cadets, but I expect their success from last season to carry on to this one. 

But man....it's going to be competitive....Bluecoats won, you'd have to expect them to at least medal again, Blue Devils are in the running EVERY YEAR for a Gold - to think they are going to NOT medal is unthinkable - Crown is also very good and could/should medal again, and they are hungry for another gold - SCV has been beating on the door for the last 5 years - one would think they are going to medal again at some point - could it be this year??? Cavaliers, of course we just mentioned them, looks like they're ready to compete - and then there's the Cadets - still a #### good corps - could medal at any point - and if you want to throw in Blue Knights who stay competitive, I don't really think they could medal, but crazy things have happened - 

so realistically we got 6 corps who should win a medal. Lol. Whoever DOESN'T medal, it's going to be a disappointment. 

What I really hope happens is that judges score them closer together. We see Blue Knights who scored just over 90 points last season for 7th - realistically I think that show deserved at least 92, perhaps 93. And then score the corps above them from that point. Cadets didn't deserve a 92.x, that was a 95 point show. 

I want to see 6 corps score above 95 - that's what they should end up deserving, quit scoring them on a curve. I hate that crap.

My kid is kinda used to that scenario. He marched Atlanta CV in DCA for the last two years. They finished 5th in DCA Finals in 2015 and 6th in 2016 when the top 3 were clearly defined and 4-8 were fighting for placement. I agree with all of your assessments above. Great organizations with great musicians. I do think from my up-close experience with auditions this year that you will find that Cavies have upgraded their brass line at audition, and I know from in-home experience that they are working like crazy on individual improvement week over week. I kinda see Drum Corps like golf. Go put up the best score you have in the bag. And if someone is better...kudos to them. :-) 

• Like 1

When it really comes down to it though...I just wanna see some great shows. At the end of seeing a competition live, I don't even stick around for scores, I'm there for the entertainment! Except for Finals, can't help it, have to see how it shakes out. And then get my arguments together to complain about why the judges are wrong about this or that. LOL. But that's what DCP is for, right? 

Congrats on your kid making Cavs - hope you both have a great experience. If I had a son who made a Finals worthy drum corps, I'd cry myself to sleep in pride.

• Like 1

Cavaliers really reset their brass program in 2015, I think the new staff has done a great job growing them, just needs some more time to mature.  IMO that's all they need to really shoot up, better brass line = of course better brass scores, better Music Analysis scores, and better Music GE scores.  If program design and visual design is as good and improves like it did last year those will be set.  Color guard finally started to feel like their awesome mid to late 2000s/early 2010 ones too.  

They have the momentum and all the ingredients.  Just comes down to how the show comes together which I have a great gut feeling about.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BoyWonder1911 said:

When it really comes down to it though...I just wanna see some great shows. At the end of seeing a competition live, I don't even stick around for scores, I'm there for the entertainment! Except for Finals, can't help it, have to see how it shakes out. And then get my arguments together to complain about why the judges are wrong about this or that. LOL. But that's what DCP is for, right? 

Congrats on your kid making Cavs - hope you both have a great experience. If I had a son who made a Finals worthy drum corps, I'd cry myself to sleep in pride.

He's been a Cavs fan since he was very young. He also auditioned with Coats and is a big Coats fan. Missed by 2 slots with Coats with "visual" being the Achilles heel as opposed to "Music" where he did quite well with Coats. For his first year to ever walk into a DCI audition, we were very pleased. The kid is a hard worker! And now that he's a Cav, I'm 99.98% sure he'll be a Cav for life. He's loyal like that. 

• Like 2