Carolina Crown 2017

But it's all about design not brass. Crown would be better off if brass team left and design/guard team remained (from a competitive standpoint).

Extremely accurate, sad in a way, in today's DCI

• Like 1

SO what you're saying it Crown is screwed. :wow::satisfied::tounge2:

I think those guys are wrong. Arrangements are critical to the design of show. It's the canvas on which the visual show is written. Give a great visual designer a mediocre score and you'll get slightly above average shows.

Edited by corpsband

SO what you're saying it Crown is screwed. :wow::satisfied::tounge2:

I never said that. What I said is DCI is more visually driven these days - so the drill / movement / guard folks are perhaps the most important on the staff. You only have to look at Coats win

I think those guys are wrong. Arrangements are critical to the design of show. It's the canvas on which the visual show is written. Give a great visual designer a mediocre score and you'll get slightly above average shows.

No one is saying arrangements aren't critical. Just without the visual genius - the music won't keep you in the medal ranks. See Cadets the last several years

I marched with Herbert, my ageout was his first yr. As far as I know he is still with crown.

A little birdie told me that Herbert and the whole guard staff are going with Townsend to Boston. I expect to see all new guard staff at crown. That's sad but all things come to an end. Every end is a a new beginning.

I honestly don't see Herbert leaving Crown.

And without the arrangements, the visual won't get you in the medals either.

Well, yeah. The whole package is needed. But I think what George is saying is that visual/guard has a larger influence on scoring than music. Guard bleeds into so many captions, most notably GE. The difficulty of a visual program can also impact the performance in a music caption. The staging created by a visual program can also impact the music caption.