Carolina Crown 2017

1 hour ago, Tobias said:

It's funny but we tend to be more competitive than the kids sometimes. 

As for competitive,  oh they still are.   It's just a bit more internal to whatever corps / guard / drumline they're marching with.  Plenty of people checking ranking sites to see where they stack up.  

On 3/3/2017 at 4:21 PM, corpsband said:

PR 1995 ballad (Variations on Theme of Paganini) -- heartrendingly beautiful live.   Many times since.  

As for Crown 2013,  man the source is just gorgeous..

It was indeed. That whole soundtrack is beautiful.

Silvestri is good at touching heartstrings.

Great movie, too, except for the last 10 minutes. 

2 minutes ago, Lance said:

It was indeed. That whole soundtrack is beautiful.

Silvestri is good at touching heartstrings.

Great movie, too, except for the last 10 minutes. 

Hmm -- would that be the hearings after her trip?  Or does the 10 mins include the trip? 

Edited by corpsband

2 minutes ago, corpsband said:

Hmm -- would that be the hearings after her trip?  Or does the 10 mins include the trip? 

Maybe there's a director's cut that I've never seen, but the theater version ended with them all getting raised to the surface by the alients, and the main guy hugging the main girl. 

That's it. 

It was really lame after everything else, which I thought was pretty spectacular. 

21 minutes ago, Lance said:

Maybe there's a director's cut that I've never seen, but the theater version ended with them all getting raised to the surface by the alients, and the main guy hugging the main girl. 

That's it. 

It was really lame after everything else, which I thought was pretty spectacular. 

NVM for some reason I was thinking about Contact and not the Abyss -- lost in the abyss I guess.  Anyway -- the giant ship coming up -- no one has decompression sickness.  Navy ships all sitting on the ship.  Agree -- after all that great setup it was kind of a lame ending.  No closure

Having now looked to see if there was a directors cut,  apparently there was one that extended the ending.   Guess I'll have to go find that.  

Edited by corpsband

yeah, i was wondering if you were thinking of contact. i actually liked that ending. 

anyway, gotta admit that i'm getting a little antsy about crown. one of the few corps that i can listen to source music and get an idea of what the brass book will actually sound like nowadays. 

5 minutes ago, Lance said:

yeah, i was wondering if you were thinking of contact. i actually liked that ending. 

anyway, gotta admit that i'm getting a little antsy about crown. one of the few corps that i can listen to source music and get an idea of what the brass book will actually sound like nowadays. 

im positive Crown 2017 will continue that streak. 

Everybody always talks about Crown's brass, for obvious reasons, but I feel like the percussion, battery especially, took a step in the right direction lat year.  Not that they had been terrible, but closing the gap a bit more between them, and the upper echelon lines (BD, Coats, SCV, Cadets).  The front started to sound better last year as well, as I believe the departure of Andrew Markworth to Crossmen hurt them in both composition and performance in regards to the front.  that being said, I think last year was a positive year in starting to close that gap.

32 minutes ago, ibexpercussion said:

Everybody always talks about Crown's brass, for obvious reasons, but I feel like the percussion, battery especially, took a step in the right direction lat year.  Not that they had been terrible, but closing the gap a bit more between them, and the upper echelon lines (BD, Coats, SCV, Cadets).  The front started to sound better last year as well, as I believe the departure of Andrew Markworth to Crossmen hurt them in both composition and performance in regards to the front.  that being said, I think last year was a positive year in starting to close that gap.

Lots of vets back in all sections of the percussion (especially battery) and from the sounds of the first 3 camps, seem very strong for this time of year.