Carolina Crown 2017

One of the reasons that I really miss the DCI Top 12 show archives ( called " Fan Network ) is because I could retrieve segments of shows of all the Finalists going back to the mid 70's... So for example, if I wanted to just hear Carolina Crown's wonderful ballad " Angel " from 2005, I could scroll right to that segment. Without Fan Network, we can no longer do this. Its a real loss, imo.

• Like 1

I've suggested it so many times before but I sooooo want a corps to play Dark Side of the Moon-- and not the Pink Floyd version.

Crown could do it. I think any part of it could be used-- the first loud section, the middle ballad section, or the loud ending section starting at 7:45. Such a beautiful and exciting piece.

4 hours ago, Poisonchocolate said:

I've suggested it so many times before but I sooooo want a corps to play Dark Side of the Moon-- and not the Pink Floyd version.

Crown could do it. I think any part of it could be used-- the first loud section, the middle ballad section, or the loud ending section starting at 7:45. Such a beautiful and exciting piece.

Dam it!  CC could just about do a show's brass book from this piece.  Then again, some might say it's not difficult enough so the arranging team would have to make it  challenging.

5 minutes ago, Ghost said:

Dam it!  CC could just about do a show's brass book from this piece.  Then again, some might say it's not difficult enough so the arranging team would have to make it  challenging.

yet the portion or it they used to close 2013 seemed just about right, for that show at least.

Two thoughts:

- While I couldn't be happier as a Phantom Regiment fan that the Rennicks moved to Rockford in 03, I do wonder what the trophy case at Crown would look like today.

- Though it got passed up on finals night, the most underrated (in terms of buzz) Crown show was performed in 2006. Love that thing musically and drill-ingly. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kdaddy said:

, the most underrated (in terms of buzz) Crown show was performed in 2006. Love that thing musically and drill-ingly. 

Perhaps so. ( 8th in 2006)

CC hit their stride placement wise however after 2 back to back highly popular shows the next 2 seasons of 2007 and 2008.

CC's 2007 show " Triple Crown " was a HUGE hit with Drum Corps fans from coast to coast( 6th ). That led to greater retention, recruitment that offseason, and in 2008, CC followed up that 2007 season with another musically well received show in " Finis". Such popularity of shows, then positioned CC to make a serious run to both medaling, then a Championship winning season that would shortly follow.

Corps outside the TOP 7 that have designs on moving up placement wise. must have a break out season in which their show is considered a big hit with most mainstream Drum corps fans. The show must be a popular one. BK comes to example as an illustration of this. For years they were known to have rather dark and esoteric, cerebral shows. Placement wise it did little for them. Then in 2014, they adopted brightly colored uniforms. went with more uplifting themes. music and they had their most successful season in decades.. 6th. BK followed up the 2014 popular show, with another bright, uplifting. popular show in 2015 with " Because " which retained their top 7 status. Regretably. they seemed to abandon the cogent themes. music in 2016, and the show was confusing to both most fans and to most judges alike,  and  it stopped their upward tracking and actually resulted in a bit of a slide placement wise as a result ( to 8th ). Corps that are perennial Top 4-5 Corps are afforded the luxury to do shows that are well performed. but are distant with most fans. Lower placing corps do not have such latitude however. It is only the popular, well received shows. that can position these non top 7 Corps in the immediate future years to move up placement wise in my opinion.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, corpsband said:

It's a CAMP weekend! I  hope Crown is putting together all the pieces adequately after things seemed to fall apart all over the place (well at least what I keep hearing!)  :ninja:

If people have been telling Corpsband  that " things seemed to fall apart all over the place " at Carolina Crown it surely was away from DCP that he must have heard this. Thats because there has been no such postings at all on DCP on such a Carolina Crown crumbling .. going all the way back to last Sept. ...As a matter of fact, the opposite has been more prevalent here on DCP. The sentiment... from Corpsband himself on multiple posts over the last few months... is that the corps is doing quite well this offseason.

Edited by BRASSO