Carolina Crown 2017

10 hours ago, corpsband said:

a comment befitting your intellect :peek:  don't choke :-) 

anyway -- assuming you're talking about the hose comment.  just listen to the early-season / late-season versions of stonehenge.  it was still a monster book (and along with celebration my favorite cadets shows ever) ,  it was just not what they started with.  

yeah I really struggled through school and so far, life...

all corps change things as the season progresses, listen to Crown 2012 or 14 for examples - you clean what you can and "change" what you can't clean, plus make other changes for effect. Let's just loose the frequent (not so subtle) jabs at Cadets, it's really unbecoming 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, George Dixon said:

all corps change things as the season progresses, listen to Crown 2012 or 14 for examples - you clean what you can and "change" what you can't clean, plus make other changes for effect. Let's just loose the frequent (not so subtle) jabs at Cadets, it's really unbecoming 

never claimed otherwise.  its just that those particular shows stand out for me.  i heard them a lot early season and still love them but wonder might have been.  as for Crown hosing,  they sure do but it seems like it's more for phasing issues related to placement rather than "just can't play it".   

i still stand by the original assertion:  few even attempt what they (now routinely) accomplish.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, corpsband said:

never claimed otherwise.  its just that those particular shows stand out for me.  i heard them a lot early season and still love them but wonder might have been.  as for Crown hosing,  they sure do but it seems like it's more for phasing issues related to placement rather than "just can't play it".   

i still stand by the original assertion:  few even attempt what they (now routinely) accomplish.  

Actually the "hosing" in 98 (Cadets) was due to the drill mostly. They played it fine. Look at the 98 drill - horn line stretched 0 to 0 in spots and running while rotating boxes and folding boxes in (waterfall) in other spots. It was extremely tough staging (as it should be at this level) 

Compare that to the 30-30 in front half of the field staging in Crown 2015 - with a bunched ballad

I'm still interested to see how the drill and brass guys meld. I expect it to go well, but that's the one thing I worry maybe an issue. Probably not in year one, but long term. 

Edited by George Dixon
typo

4 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

Actually the "hosing" in 98 (Cadets) was due to the drill mostly. They played it fine. Look at the 98 drill - horn line stretched 0 to 0 in spots and running while rotating boxes and folding boxes in (waterfall) in other spots. It was extremely tough staging (as it should be at this level) 

Compare that to the 30-30 in front half of the field staging in Crown 2015 - with a bunched ballad

I'm still interested to see how the drill and brass guys meld. I expect it to go well, but that's the one thing I worry maybe an issue. Probably not in year one, but long term. 

Oh don't brass and drill guys always get along just dandy? I got obliterated on this topic 2 weeks ago. 

1 hour ago, Tobias said:

Oh don't brass and drill guys always get along just dandy? I got obliterated on this topic 2 weeks ago. 

it's a "balancing act" to say the least :)

but the basic answer to your question is "not usually"

• Like 1

2 hours ago, George Dixon said:

yeah you really don't want to get into a discussion about Cadets vs Crown field staging.  There's not a comparison.

anyway i saw and heard cadets many times in those years.  they still hadn't gotten the stonehenge hornbook clean by finals.i think they were 2-4-2 brass in Orlando.  so no -- they didn't play it "just fine".  however the errors were nothing when compared to the attempt and accomplishment.  

interestingly no one's come back to Stonehenge since.  it can be licensed - it's expensive but you can get it.  

as for how Sacktig fits into Crown,  i don't really forsee any challenges.  and -- from what ive heard -- drill will go on the field at April camp (as usual).  As for longer term, why?  Jeff and Rick (and Michelle) are (were) long time friends.   various discussions had taken place long before the "shake up". 

anyway it's going to be  fun to watch.  

41 minutes ago, corpsband said:

yeah you really don't want to get into a discussion about Cadets vs Crown field staging.  There's not a comparison.

anyway i saw and heard cadets many times in those years.  they still hadn't gotten the stonehenge hornbook clean by finals.i think they were 2-4-2 brass in Orlando.  so no -- they didn't play it "just fine".  however the errors were nothing when compared to the attempt and accomplishment.  

interestingly no one's come back to Stonehenge since.  it can be licensed - it's expensive but you can get it.  .  

When a corps turns a tune into a classic all time great championship winning program other corps tend to avoid it. 

6 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

When a corps turns a tune into a classic all time great championship winning program other corps tend to avoid it. 

or not.  Appalachian Spring anyone?  Lots of corps use music that's been very successfully used in the past.