Questions For Drum Corps Know-It-Alls

It was a very memorable entrance! I know how "Butch" got into trouble, but I've always wanted to know a bit more abound finals night. How did he get his equipment and uniform? Did the other BD guys know that he was going to show up?

Not to get anyone in trouble, but he had some assistance, although the statute of limitations is probably out of date for the offense. If I recall correctly, word got to the warm-up area, and he already had his drum and uniform.

The busses were empty when the materials were found.

Ha, I totally forgot about the bass drummer in BD 00.

2. How many Caption Heads of the Top 12 corps are working full time for the corps? Do most have other jobs? Like band teachers, etc.?

None that I am aware of. Matt Harloff of Carolina Crown is the assistant band director at Avon HS. Dean Westman - the program coordinator behind the last several years of Bluecoats shows - is the orchestra director at the same school.

The caption heads I worked with all became band directors or drill designers for bands in the pacific northwest.

It generally seems to be the case that music staff members (percussion and brass) are often directors or otherwise employed with high school and college bands. Visual staff members often freelance as drill designers for hs bands and travel around working with some of the bands they write for. I have 4 or 5 drum corps friends who are now professional drill designers. Guard staff members are often times professional dancers and/or work with guards for bands and WGI groups.

Not the case for everyone, but that is definitely the trend.

Edited by TroopAlum12

9. A: Winning (and all placements for that matter) changes the corps' position in the metric for calculation of payout from the gate receipts and performance fees paid out from DCI over the course of the season.

The higher the placement, and for the longest period of seasons, gets the highest payout from the DCI pool.

Much similar to the Friends of DCI program where the placement of your seats is dependent upon the level of your membership (Silver, Platinum, etc) and for how many consecutive years you've been at that level. For example, a Platinum member for 15 years sits on the 50, center, center but a Platinum member for 3 years sits on the 40, lower left.

Along with a bigger slice of the DCI pie for member corps comes the addition of better sponsorship/equipment deals.

Also, show sponsors pay for corps based upon the finish placement from the prior year (and the time of the show during the season) so, for example, Blue Devils cost more (and earn more) to be in the exact same show as Pioneer or Troopers.

So there is a not-insignificant financial "get" for placement even if there's not a big check presented at the retreat.

Edited by garfield

1. Who is the person(s) who has complete say and makes the final decision on what type of show the corps will be doing in the coming year? Do all of the Caption heads meet in a room to listen to music and vote on which music they like the best? How is that process play itself out? How are new show decisions decided? When do they begin? In September?

Having just attended a design meeting for the high school I am working with and also a WGI group, I learned quite a bit about this.

Usually the corps director or program coordinator gets final say, but there is a committee or "Design team" that comes together to help shape the overall concept. It usually consists of the director and/or program coordinator, caption heads, drill writer, and music composers/arrangers.

Many times, the base concepts for shows are created a few years in advance. This happens for a few different reasons. One, the team members often all have multiple ideas that are liked by the group. The ones that people like but aren't selected for that year go into a "let's come back to this one again in the future" category. Second, many groups create a multi-year show design plan to accomplish a goal, like getting into finals or into the top 6 or winning the championship. So they'll say, "OK, next year we want to do a fun show that really connects with the audience, then the year after that a more serious show that shows off our chops, then the year after that we'll push the boundaries with an innovative show that blows the judges away."

Shows are often based around an idea or a piece of music. Team members will listen to different pieces they love and may want to use. Once the base concept is decided, they'll sketch out how they want this idea to progress through a show. Then they will decide on what music best represents this and how they want to arrange it. This is then sent out to the drill designer, music arrangers, and choreographers, who all collaborate with each other over a few months until the show is field ready. Then they will make adjustments throughout the season based on audience and (mainly) judge feedback.

Rinse and repeat.

Much similar to the Friends of DCI program where the placement of your seats is dependent upon the level of your membership (Silver, Platinum, etc) and for how many consecutive years you've been at that level. For example, a Platinum member for 15 years sits on the 50, center, center but a Platinum member for 3 years sits on the 40, lower left.

Glad you earned the upgrade G!

10. Has anyone ever been injured during a show...like broken a leg? What happened? If that ever happens, will the corps get marked down? Will they stop the show?

Had a friend who marched mello with Regiment 1999. She broke (fractured?) her leg during a passthrough during Finals. Marched the rest of the show though.