Blue Devils 2017 60th Anniversary!

how was it!?

1 hour ago, saxfreq1128 said:

how was it!?

BDC - Best I have ever heard them.  Adorable (they have a few kids in the brass line that I would swear are only an inch or two bigger than their horns!  :bigsmile: )

BDB - Once again, incredibly competent.  A little hard to judge yet as the props are not finished and guard was not in uniform, but musically they sound very good. Last part of the show still needs its drill; they performed it as standstill.

BDA - So powerful!  A wall of sound that, to use the old chestnut saying, "will peel your face off"!  I get the drum intro now that I see it with the opening drill; it makes sense.  Again, without either the corps proper, nor the guard being in uniform, it was difficult to get the full visual flavor of the show.  Musically, the solos using the brass quartet was an absolute joy.  While walking out I thought I heard one of the MMs say that there is still about 30 seconds to add to the closer, but cant verify that.  Loud.  Really loud. They seem to be making use of a lot of amplification, but the sound is very clean and clear. With the way BD adds layers of complexity as the season progresses, I see this as a very solid framework to build upon.

Eager to see where they are next weekend at Stanford.

• Like 8

49 minutes ago, Photographer Jim said:

BDC - Best I have ever heard them.  Adorable (they have a few kids in the brass line that I would swear are only an inch or two bigger than their horns!  :bigsmile: )

BDB - Once again, incredibly competent.  A little hard to judge yet as the props are not finished and guard was not in uniform, but musically they sound very good. Last part of the show still needs its drill; they performed it as standstill.

BDA - So powerful!  A wall of sound that, to use the old chestnut saying, "will peel your face off"!  I get the drum intro now that I see it with the opening drill; it makes sense.  Again, without either the corps proper, nor the guard being in uniform, it was difficult to get the full visual flavor of the show.  Musically, the solos using the brass quartet was an absolute joy.  While walking out I thought I heard one of the MMs say that there is still about 30 seconds to add to the closer, but cant verify that.  Loud.  Really loud. They seem to be making use of a lot of amplification, but the sound is very clean and clear. With the way BD adds layers of complexity as the season progresses, I see this as a very solid framework to build upon.

Eager to see where they are next weekend at Stanford.

What he said.  Yes it's about 30 seconds of the show unfinished visually.

the ballad will leave you in tears. Sad I won't get to see them as Stanford is too hard to get home from at late light.

• Like 1

The segments I saw from BD were really good. Had to pinch myself at the beginning to make sure I wasn't watching Madison Scouts 2013! LOL.

Too bad he/she didn't catch any part of the ballad. That was the highlight for me from listening to the potato-quality SoundCloud recording.

7 hours ago, btown50 said:

That opening drill reminds me of 1930.

That opening drill reminds me of  1972 "Off the line"

The opening rifle work reminds me of 1973 (All the single spins)

The opening cadence reminds of a 1974 "Legend of the one eyed Sailor"

Oh almost missed the huge gates from 1975 (and for the next few years until they got replaced by the swirls)

Edited by monarch
  • Like 4