2017 Blue Stars

5 hours ago, cowtown said:

They connecting idea of this show is difficult to convey.  Baz Luhrmann soundtrackd or some Vegas show that’s not in popular culture is a reach, it therefore comes off a bit disjointed. I feel they need  a guy in a director chair off to the side moving the story along although, that may be more confusing. And the visual should be in his films visual style. Even if its 'love through the ages' is it 3 stories or 1? I'm still not sure.  When I saw it in DeKalb, my friends couldn’t figure it out and when explained, they were, um, ok.

The table props, eh…we’ve seen Blue Stars with tables. The electronics, a bit too much talking and the sample in the closer are a bit jarring as they don't fit in with the music the way I'd like. I keep waiting for this show to come together and it hasn’t, it’s not realizing its early season potential for me but there is still time 

I have no more difficulty understanding Blue Stars show than any other drum corps show.  what is Phantoms Madison's, Crossman's, Blue Knights, Blue Devils, Bluecoats, Crowns show about? can you really tell by simply watching the show?   what about men from mars,..... I don't see any green Martians   .... must not be conveying their show...what does cavaliers music selection of "I did it my way" have anything to do with mars?  I don't care what the theme is, march and play well is what should matter

Edited by brians
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, brians said:

I have no more difficulty understanding Blue Stars show than any other drum corps show.  what is Phantoms Madison's, Crossman's, Blue Knights, Blue Devils, Bluecoats show about? can you really tell by simply watching the show?   what about men from mars,..... I don't see any green Martians   .... must mot be conveying their show...what does cavaliers music selection of "I did it my way" have anything to do with mars?

he was stubborn and wouldn't stop to ask for directions so that's where he ended up.

On July 25, 2017 at 11:17 AM, mcjordansc said:

I like the Blue Stars show. I saw them in KC last week and they come off much better in person than online. I assume they have more add to the show over the next two weeks (including making the gurneys look more like desks :unsure:). The corps is strong in all sections, so I expect they will do fine in August. 

The Blue Stars are a very consistent corps. The staff knows how to get a show to score approximately 90 by finals. I have no doubt they will do that this year with this show, probably getting them to 10th place. Some fans are not happy with this consistency, they want to see the corps compete for a top eight or higher placement. To do this, the Blue Stars may need to shake something up this off-season. Of course, the design team in place is basically the one that got them three eighth place finishes 2008-2010. Maybe they just need to get away from the Las Vegas shows?

Consistently being in the top 12 is good, but consistently fighting for the scraps of 8th through 12th is not. As I said in my earlier post, Blue Stars need to compete, not participate.  Take Blue Coats. Until they rolled out "Tilt" two years ago, they were a solid top 6,7, corps that showed it wasn't satisfied. "Tilt" changed all that with the innovation and theme that was out of the box. They took it even further last year and won the world title. This year's show, imho, is also championship-worthy. We need to hear the Stas mentioned in the same breath with Bloo, SCV, BD, and Crown, not Crossmen, Madison, and Academy.

• Like 2

On July 26, 2017 at 7:03 PM, Polonius said:

I don't think I'm alone in feeling like Blue Stars are erstatz Blue Devils - that's not working for the audience - could we take a "4 songs that don't suck" approach? Does every show need an over arching theme? How about you come out and play really good and do cool drill and guard work? Ala old Cavies' shows?

Over-arching theme is spot on. I've never been a big fan of props, but since we're stuck with them, then use them to create something that's going to produce a WOW factor and be memorable, like "Jagged Line."  Gurneys with old writing instruments on them doesn't quite do it.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Blue32Wazoo said:

Consistently being in the top 12 is good, but consistently fighting for the scraps of 8th through 12th is not. As I said in my earlier post, Blue Stars need to compete, not participate.  Take Blue Coats. Until they rolled out "Tilt" two years ago, they were a solid top 6,7, corps that showed it wasn't satisfied. "Tilt" changed all that with the innovation and theme that was out of the box. They took it even further last year and won the world title. This year's show, imho, is also championship-worthy. We need to hear the Stas mentioned in the same breath with Bloo, SCV, BD, and Crown, not Crossmen, Madison, and Academy.

Who are the Blue Coats?

• Like 1

On 7/26/2017 at 7:55 PM, brians said:

I have no more difficulty understanding Blue Stars show than any other drum corps show.  what is Phantoms Madison's, Crossman's, Blue Knights, Blue Devils, Bluecoats, Crowns show about? can you really tell by simply watching the show?   what about men from mars,..... I don't see any green Martians   .... must not be conveying their show...what does cavaliers music selection of "I did it my way" have anything to do with mars?  I don't care what the theme is, march and play well is what should matter

This exactly. It has gotten so ridiculous in this day and age with show themes. I don't even bother trying to understand what they are trying to convey. I just enjoy the drill and the music. Ouroboros is my favorite show in decades and I have no clue what it's about. I don't care. It's awesome. Blue Stars have a fantastic drill, nice music and a great guard. That's all I care about. I'm not going to read a novel to understand a theme, because one cannot tell from simply watching. 

Edited by henry7184
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, henry7184 said:

This exactly. It has gotten so ridiculous in this day and age with show themes. I don't even bother trying to understand what they are trying to convey. I just enjoy the drill and the music. Ouroboros is my favorite show in decades and I have no clue what it's about. I don't care. It's awesome. Blue Stars have a fantastic drill, nice music and a great guard. That's all I care about. I'm not going to read a novel to understand a theme, because one cannot tell from simply watching. 

I just need to know if you did this on purpose with Gatsby as one of the parts in the show :tongue:

1 hour ago, BlueStainGlass said:

I just need to know if you did this on purpose with Gatsby as one of the parts in the show :tongue:

No, haha. I wish I could say yes - that would have been clever. I said that because I thought their show announcement last year was beyond ridiculous. But, they're not the only ones. I didn't even bother reading it last year either, and it was still one of my favorite shows of the season. Such a wonderful design (especially the guard work and drill).