Atlanta show site 2017

Georgia Tech all the way. If they can manage to park and accommodate 55,000 fans for football games surely they can handle 16,000 for a drum corps show. It's unlikely the new Falcon's stadium will be ready in time-- and DCI shouldn't take the chance.

It's not about whether they can handle 16,000 for a show verses 55,000 for football. It's about the logistics of 88+ busses, 44+/- tractor trailers, & 40+/- other support vehicles. From what I can gather from DCP folks and when I look at an overhead view of the location, I don't think it's feasible to hold a major regional (with 22 corps) there. I think a smaller show could be made to work, like swapping shows with Nashville. Just my humble opinion........

Way back in the early '90s, there was a decently sized (maybe 10-ish bands) HS marching band contest at GA Tech. I remember that the buses, even back then, were a very long hike from the stadium. I can't imagine that Georgia Tech has a bunch more parking lots now than it did then, so I really don't see how that campus could handle all of the support vehicles required for the ~20 corps that would compete.

As far as I know, the University of Georgia has never let any sort of drum corps/marching band show take place at Sanford Stadium.

Based on viewing last year's schedule, I have an idea. First, move the show in Mustang to before San Antonio, and switch Birmingham and Huntsville. After San Antonio, corps would split into 2 categories: one doing a "semi-south" tour and the other doing a "deep south" tour. The "semi-south" tour would consist of Dallas, Little Rock, and Huntsville. The "deep south" tour would consist of Lafayette, Hattiesburg, Gulfport, and Opelika. TOC show in Nashville on Thursday. Friday and Saturday would be the Atlanta regional held at McEachern High School in Powder Springs. (I think spreading it over 2 days like at Allentown is effective because it benefits corps and fans alike by not having to worry about the high heat index in Atlanta during the summer.) The day a corps does not compete would be a mandatory practice day. The SoundSport competition would happen on Saturday before the show. Tour then resumes as per normal.

Edited by Cadevilina Crown