Cymbal Lines their Scoring/GE value & why their demise?

With THE ACADEMY's decision not field a cymbal line in 2017. A Couple of Questions:

1) How and What is the actual impact of a marching Cymbal Line on the DCI World Class score scheets?

2) Why are fewer Corps carrying them?

It's been expressed, for example, show designers prefer to replace marching cymbals for additional Color Guard, Reasoning: it increases the flexibility in over all show design and futher enhances General Effect through the use of multiple guard equipment.

I am an Old Corps Relic and 24" Concert Cymbalist from 1970-72, Your comments, insights, and observations would greatly enhance my understanding and knowledge, and help heal the sting caused by the seemingly increasing demise of a time honored and highly respected cymbal line tradition such as that of THE ACADEMY in the past......and hopefully carried on, long into the future, by the likes of such Iconic cymbal lines (and Academy Pedigree) as the Sana Clara Vanguard..

Thank You.

Cymbal lines started going away in the early 90's with some exceptions for tradition sake. I do miss seeing them. SCV is a very traditional corp and they are the only top 6 corp that still use them. Like the previous comment said...the front ensemble replaced them. To be honest in today's scoring I don't see them as a factor in GE scoring.

Edited by afd
  • Like 1

You can't say they have any specific value assigned to the sheets. But they add value to a show musically and visually. Sadly they're too easily replaced by brass or guard

• Like 2

You can't say they have any specific value assigned to the sheets. But they add value to a show musically and visually. Sadly they're too easily replaced by brass or guard

I think there's an argument to be made that cymbal lines really don't contribute much musically at all, particularly since holding for ride cymbals went out of fashion. I think they make a *much* larger musical contribution in indoor percussion, due to the intimate nature of the performance venues and the acoustics of the venues.

You're right that they do make a visual contribution, but it's not always in a positive way (except for the very top cymbal lines that have their design considered in the whole, as opposed to the lines that pretty much write their own stuff).

I love cymbal lines in indoor, but not in outdoor. As was stated above, the front ensemble can make any musical contribution a cymbal line can, and almost always in a more effective way.

• Like 1

hard to find really knowledgeable cymbal techs as well. i really enjoy a great cymbal line -- but i never watch the mediocre lines (which are far more common). adding without distracting is also a somewhat magical art.

I can't hit the "like" button on this post enough times.

• Like 1

hard to find really knowledgeable cymbal techs as well. i really enjoy a great cymbal line -- but i never watch the mediocre lines (which are far more common). adding without distracting is also a somewhat magical art.

Cymbal lines keep being killed off....so the techs disappear. And in indoor they've become far more visually used than musically

• Like 1

With THE ACADEMY's decision not field a cymbal line in 2017. A Couple of Questions:

1) How and What is the actual impact of a marching Cymbal Line on the DCI World Class score scheets?

2) Why are fewer Corps carrying them?

It's been expressed, for example, show designers prefer to replace marching cymbals for additional Color Guard, Reasoning: it increases the flexibility in over all show design and futher enhances General Effect through the use of multiple guard equipment.

I am an Old Corps Relic and 24" Concert Cymbalist from 1970-72, Your comments, insights, and observations would greatly enhance my understanding and knowledge, and help heal the sting caused by the seemingly increasing demise of a time honored and highly respected cymbal line tradition such as that of THE ACADEMY in the past......and hopefully carried on, long into the future, by the likes of such Iconic cymbal lines (and Academy Pedigree) as the Sana Clara Vanguard..

Thank You.

Here is the petition if you support it...

https://www.change.org/p/mark-richardson-bring-cymbals-back-to-the-academy?recruiter=595507937&utm_source=share_for_starters&utm_medium=copyLink

I can watch (and I have watched) only the cymbal line of SCV the entire show and be very entertained. To each their own I guess.

Edited by HockeyDad
  • Like 1