REVERSE Transfer fees

Or a guard...

in the past at least, handfuls of kids follow their guard instructors. but (imo at least) not like percussionists (where sometimes half or more of a line may follow their guru to his new corps). for eg when adam sage came to crown from pr, i think it was less than 5 kids came that first year. I think more continued to come in the next year (but who's to say if they were following Adam or they saw just Crown breaking into the medals). in any case reverse transfer fees would probably have an impact in that situation.

So a 15th-22nd place corps who needs every dollar they can get will forego....what - $60,000 in tour fee income if 20 top five vets took them up on the offer? That means they'll have to come up with that $60k from another source. Probably not.

And the kids and parents who pay full bill for tour fees are going to be quiet about some other kids getting full free ride, regardless of need?

And a kid who's been dreaming of marching BD or Bluecoats and can make the cut is going to say "nah, I'll give up playing in the majors to go do a season in Triple A for a year"?

None of them are likely.

The only way that would work is if the corps offered merit based tuition and had it underwritten from an outside source. And not too many of those corps have the alum networks to underwrite a program that expensive, especially since, unless they also have a top eight design team, the corps is still likely to finish (wait for it) in the 15th-22nd slots.

So a 15th-22nd place corps who needs every dollar they can get will forego....what - $60,000 in tour fee income if 20 top five vets took them up on the offer? That means they'll have to come up with that $60k from another source. Probably not.

meh. what's 60k!?

And the kids and parents who pay full bill for tour fees are going to be quiet about some other kids getting full free ride, regardless of need?

who has to know? the financial transactions don't really have to take place in front of anyone. you can do it all online. average kid just assumes everyone is paying their way just like he/she is.

And a kid who's been dreaming of marching BD or Bluecoats and can make the cut is going to say "nah, I'll give up playing in the majors to go do a season in Triple A for a year"?

a valid point. OTOH if it's not your age out and you can save a boat load of money (and you know you can always switch back in your age out). or if you can only afford to march every other year...

None of them are likely.

The only way that would work is if the corps offered merit based tuition and had it underwritten from an outside source. And not too many of those corps have the alum networks to underwrite a program that expensive, especially since, unless they also have a top eight design team, the corps is still likely to finish (wait for it) in the 15th-22nd slots.

very good points. not saying any of this is likely. just a hypothetical.

Edited by corpsband

yeah i know but listen...

suppose you're one of the corps who complains about losing all of your best kids to all the "top" corps every season.

what if you played turn-about on them and tried to recruit their kids? suppose you offered something crazy (for eg. no tour fee if you marched in a top 5) ?

would a MM switch corps to save $4000? or is it really about marching with their 'dream corps' and money be ######?

would it make an impact?

(this whole topic inspired by a rambling FB msg thread that started with System Blue commercials at finals!)

Where is BRASSO?...first person I thought about when I saw this...

This is a ridiculous idea at face-value IMO...considering the tour fees are now about the same for most corps anyway...whether top 5 or top 25...this would do nothing but hurt the operating budgets of many of the lower tier corps who need this income to survive...I've heard of horror stories of lower tier corps keeping on non-paying members...just because they were desperate for membership...well those groups are not around anymore...many drum corps are either break-even or some even loosing propositions already...

On the other hand...I could see this MAYBE working in some type of scholarship fund though...but the money set aside for this should not interfere with the corps operating budget...perhaps a rich benefactor of the corps..setting up a fund for this type of thing...the criteria being that the member has to be a veteran at say a top 3 corps for example...I rather see this type of fund set-up for members in serious financial need or hardship though rather than buying members from upper tier corps who can afford it...

Edited by Liahona

The kids who march these days have the money to do so (with help from mom and dad). Not sure free tuition is all that important.

many work their ### off and look for sponsors everywhere to help. mom and dad arent always paying a free ride