Broken Arrow's Answer to Ramps - the Arms Race Continues

I agree, except for the snare players. They'll never make it into DCI unless they abandon their matched grip and learn to play traditional.

Problem is that developing the left hand takes years to compete at the DCI level, even the Open Class level.

IMO, directors who teach matched grip to their snares are taking the easy way out for themselves and short-changing their students.

Yes and no. Mostly no.

Matched grip simply sounds better. No one will dispute that. No student should even be taught traditional grip until at least the high school level. Outside of a competitive band and a few very few drum set applications, there's no audible reason to play traditional (obviously I'm not talking about any group where rope-drums or sling snares are used).

We like traditional grip for one reason and one reason only: It looks cool and fun.

It's probably the least educational thing in all of drum corps. But as long as we admit why we like it, it's fine. But to say we're "taking the easy way out for themselves and short-changing their students" is disingenuous at best.

Edited by Kamarag

Yes and no. Mostly no.

Matched grip simply sounds better. No one will dispute that. No student should even be taught traditional grip until at least the high school level. Outside of a competitive band and a few very few drum set applications, there's no audible reason to play traditional (obviously I'm not talking about any group where rope-drums or sling snares are used).

We like traditional grip for one reason and one reason only: It looks cool and fun.

It's probably the least educational thing in all of drum corps. But as long as we admit why we like it, it's fine. But to say we're "taking the easy way out for themselves and short-changing their students" is disingenuous at best.

Disingenuous? No, I'm being very genuine.

Simultaneous demand. Flexibility. Versatility.

A traditional left hand can be trained to play matched with just a few hours of muscle training. Every new student should start training on traditional grip, IMO.

I actually tried to remember the last time I saw a symphonic percussionist play traditional, and I can't remember one...

I disagree that matched sounds better, but my hearing has been shot for years.

And despite our difference of opinion, it is highly unlikely that any of those Reagan players will make a drum corps drum line.

Edited by garfield

Simultaneous demand. Flexibility. Versatility.

A traditional left hand can be trained to play matched with just a few hours of muscle training. Every new student should start training on traditional grip, IMO.

If it's easy, anyone can learn quickly, as you say. So those RR cats could make a drum corps line (and a few have).

Edited by Kamarag

If it's easy, anyone can learn quickly, as you say. So those RR cats could make a drum corps line (and a few have).

I showed up to my first Sky Ryders audition camp only knowing how to play the trombone. I had to write the fingerings (with some help) on the charts. BUT, my tone was good and I could figure it out quickly enough. If they have the chops, I'd bet they could make it.

Edited by year1buick

I think you misread my comment.

Precisely because traditional is hard makes it difficult to master its proficiency to a level that wins placements in drum corps. And, in a very short time, that same left hand can learn matched. The student then has both tools available. It's not so easy going the other way.

I know and know of people who have played matched and learned traditional on their own and made it. No one is being set up for failure...

Didn't suggest they were being set up to fail. But I would suggest the instructor who teaches matched is not setting up the student to win, either. It's a lot harder to develop a traditional left hand at 16 or 17, especially after playing matched for several years.

Watching BOA Champs right now, and apparently signing is a thing. Ugh.

Not signing--singing! And yes, it's far too prevalent.

Well, that was a pretty neat twist at the end: there was a tie for the top score, but in BOA, a tie is broken by general effect.

Congratulations to the band from Carmel High School in Indiana. I liked their show most (didn't love it though), but I didn't think it had a chance.

Arguably it was the most minimalist of the thirteen shows in Finals.

(Yes, thirteen, because there was a tie for twelfth in Semifinals, and apparently there are different rules for ties as pertains to Finals qualification.)