Broken Arrow's Answer to Ramps - the Arms Race Continues

Sure, in the course of the season. But then next Januals, those corps who want shows to be more minimalist advocate for that change, no?

"We want to do a minimalist program so we are telling you ahead of time so you will be understanding when you judge us?"

Yeah - I hope I am being ridiculous. I don't actually have a clue but based on past seasons I don't see that happening.

"We want to do a minimalist program so we are telling you ahead of time so you will be understanding when you judge us?"

Yeah - I hope I am being ridiculous. I don't actually have a clue but based on past seasons I don't see that happening.

I'm not sure how it's very different than, "We'd like to do a show with trombones so could you please change the rules to allow them?

• Like 2

I'm not sure how it's very different than, "We'd like to do a show with trombones so could you please change the rules to allow them?

I guess I misunderstood your prior post. You are talking about a rule change to allow for minimalism. I don't think a rule change is required.

I'll use the above example of a guard not using any equipment in their show. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think it's written that a guard has to use any equipment.

This brings me to another question...was the use of field props started after a rule change or did corps just decide to use them? I don't know the answer. Maybe someone else does.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think it's written that a guard has to use any equipment.

Whether it is or isn't, the over under for number of years before the majority of corps no longer use traditional equip. has been set at 3.5 years.

Edited by Ghost

i try every year to get into hs band shows, and i just can't

i do like a lot of the musical selections, though. i really like the music that flower mound chose to do this year.

I think many HS shows are incredible.

I like Flower Mound's show except for the arrangement of Tame the Perilous Skies.

i try every year to get into hs band shows, and i just can't

i do like a lot of the musical selections, though. i really like the music that flower mound chose to do this year.

I finally came to the conclusion that corps kids are trained in HS bands so their talent is likely the level of talent in drum corps, and I'm interested in that.

Plus, my kids are in HS band and indoor.

But, if I'm a drum corps snob, I admit to being an even bigger band snob - I really have little patience for the repetition of the typical highly-scripted, amp-supported, cookie-cutter shows that are bought as boxed sets like so many BluRay combos. It's almost that, at this level, I want to see demonstrated that the kids are getting, have gotten, the basics of movement and playing well. Less show and less choreographed. A show of mastery of basics. I think that's why the examples here seem to stick out to me so much - the high impression is of the talent of the kids and the quality of the design's teaching elements, and not so much the quality of the best production your local school district's tax-payers and band parents could afford.

EDIT: And, of course, whichever corps is first to do peddle-carts will have a fertile field of qualified applicants through which they can screen.

And I'm going to add to my edit how brilliant it is to have a business model that is able to sell and re-sell the same seats a dozen times through the course of a typical show day. Awards and short breaks every five bands gives the stands a chance to flush and refill a bunch of times, It's got to be a great fundraiser if the volunteer list is deep and wide enough.

Edited by garfield

Some of SFAs Grand Nationals programs.

They just played fantastic music, marched insanely high velocity drill, let that amazing dance team steal the show. They kinda remind me of Cadets in a way...

They had a director change around 2012 or so, had an adjusting year or two, and they're back to strength albeit a bit smaller nowadays. But the quality is soaring back up. I LOVE that 07 program. (sorry bout the video quality).

Edited by DrumManTx

Yeah - the judges work for DCI.

Say a corps came out with a minimalist program and the judges didn't like it. As a result initial scoring is lower than expected.

More likely than not, the corps makes changes to appease the judges (and raise the score). It's no longer about the original intent of the program, but about appeasing the judges and hopefully raising the score.

Corps still have a choice. How many stick with the original design of the program?

Few if any. The judges may work for DCI, but in the end they control what gets rewarded.

Be careful about saying "didn't like it". Evaluations are based on how the corps line up against the official judging criteria set up over the years. If the criteria are not defined to reward minimalism, then a corps doing such a show would not score well. Has nothing to do with "liking" the caption being judged.

Be careful about saying "didn't like it". Evaluations are based on how the corps line up against the official judging criteria set up over the years. If the criteria are not defined to reward minimalism, then a corps doing such a show would not score well. Has nothing to do with "liking" the caption being judged.

Curious, MikeD: Are the sheets now proactively set up to reward non-minimalism? Or is there no such requirement or stipulation?

Just curious (and setting up my next not-so non-obvious point).