Congratulations to DCI's newest World Class corps!

I can't sit through all of Prelims. But 8 corps? You MUST be getting old :colgate:

Heh, I saw [. . . counting, counting . . .] 283 marching band performances live this fall, including two weekends in a row with more than 60 each.

For the latter, however, I positioned myself in the last row so that I could stand rather than sit for the performances and not block anyone's view.

• Like 4

When I said "mediocre", I was comparing to top 6-12 - which yes, anyone not in Finals are mediocre compared to the top 6 or so. Does that mean I don't like OC corps? No.

2015 I went to Semi Finals instead of Finals so I could see more than just 12 - in fact, I sat and watched every single one from 25th-1st. I do find things to enjoy about every corps I see.

I don't think Genesis should move up until they've won OC. It's a competitive activity. Moving to WC, you're competing with the big boys now. And not just for points. You're competing for talented members, for staff, donations, fans, for merchandise sales, share of ticket sales, time slots, etc. You're competing for survival, not just for points. If you can't put out a competitive program, you're going to suffer in all other aspects, and it's going to make it that much more difficult not only to move up, but just to survive. It took Academy how long just to make Finals?

And not only that, but removing the corps from OC makes OC less competitive, less entertaining, bringing in less fans, etc. It's a good thing OC is growing by number of corps. Open Class has lost how many corps to World Class in the last 20 years? I don't know, 10? 15? And how many of those are still in World Class?

I think if you want to move to World Class, you have to win Open Class. That should be a rule.

It took Academy how long just to make Finals?

It took the Boston Crusaders how long to make finals?

28 years! ...and your point?

• Like 2

OC will always be dominated BDB and SCVB. Winning oc has never been required nor should it be. Genesis has competed well against several WC corps. The difference becomes from the resources available as a WC corp vs the lack of resources in OC. Crown is a great example of a corp moving up and forward. Its sad you automatically deem Genesis as mediocre.

I think if you want to move to World Class, you have to win Open Class. That should be a rule.

This is an elitist and outdated ideology. These days to win OC, a corps has to come in about 15th overall and be competitive for finals. That would put the OC corps ahead of 7 or 8 WC corps. Precisely how would an OC corps ever reach that level of performance without the organizational support of a parent organization like BD or SCV? If that is truly an expectation, then we shouldn't be surprised that there are only a few dozen competitive corps as opposed to 100+ as it used to be.

Get off your high horse and embrace these young corps as they take the big leap. Perhaps with your support they can succeed and this activity can have a brighter future.

Edited by WaxDCIFan
  • Like 2

Do you think it would be a better idea to get rid of OC altogether and make it one combined circuit?

No. Two completely different touring models...each with it's own set of advantages and disadvantages...

Heh, I saw [. . . counting, counting . . .] 283 marching band performances live this fall, including two weekends in a row with more than 60 each.

For the latter, however, I positioned myself in the last row so that I could stand rather than sit for the performances and not block anyone's view.

And you have notes on nearly every, single one of them, don't you? What a machine! That "guide" is going to make a great reference work...

man you guys are really obsessed with the G7.

The best way to protect the interests of the masses is to guard against the tyranny of the few.

I think the Other-15, the non-G7, and maybe now some of the original seven depend, to some degree, on that vigilance.

Yes, I'm serious.

• Like 1