Congratulations to DCI's newest World Class corps!

Oh, come on. You're being a little sensitive here. This is a funny and fun place in the off-season - only the geeky stay around. Quit trying to hard to make it serious. He can be hilarious! Don't take things personally - I also know he likes to twist the gears to get a reaction, too. Be a duck.

Ok - Perhaps I am. Anyway, I think that's pretty much it for me and the off-season on here. Hope next summer is a good one.

While it may or may not be relevant, i'd like to point out the fact that The Academy went from being an Open Class corps to World Class in essentially a single year (2006 to 2007 if I remember right) and they're still going strong.

Academy had the advantage of taking the long view re going from a regional open class to a touring world class. Mark Richardson and company did a VERY good job of setting them up for success, and I don't mean competitively.

Pacific Crest did the same thing....was a full-sized corps well before going to Nats (and man, do I wish they'd taken the 02 program there), was ALSO on firm footing before doing so.

I remember all the grief some corps fan -- here and elsewhere -- gave both corps for taking it slowly.

The fact they they're both active, with good solid programs, and no apparent major financial issues proved them right. THAT'S their success.

Academy making finals is a great cherry on top.... but surviving to perform year to year is the cake.

• Like 2

Ok - Perhaps I am. Anyway, I think that's pretty much it for me and the off-season on here. Hope next summer is a good one.

You might consider staying around. You've seemed to be a valiant jouster.

If you can keep your anger in check (I suffer, as well).

Academy had the advantage of taking the long view re going from a regional open class to a touring world class. Mark Richardson and company did a VERY good job of setting them up for success, and I don't mean competitively.

Pacific Crest did the same thing....was a full-sized corps well before going to Nats (and man, do I wish they'd taken the 02 program there), was ALSO on firm footing before doing so.

I remember all the grief some corps fan -- here and elsewhere -- gave both corps for taking it slowly.

The fact they they're both active, with good solid programs, and no apparent major financial issues proved them right. THAT'S their success.

Academy making finals is a great cherry on top.... but surviving to perform year to year is the cake.

Amen. Academy and PC represent a lot of years working their system and making sure that they're doing it right before they start pursuing the full tour lime-light. They are the examples that it CAN be done despite the big budgets and barriers to entry. All you need is a decade or so.

It's interesting that they focus on the kids' experience to make sure they are having the best time they can despite their competitive position. Academy may have been gunning to play on Saturday night, but they had no more idea at the beginning of THIS season, than they did at the beginning of the last half-dozen seasons, was going to the be one that took them there. They simply practiced the system, and stretched, and improved, incrementally - staff this year, food the next, design the next - until they had a repeatable process that was proven. Much as life: "Do these things, and THIS happens". PC took a HUGE gamble in moving their show to the Rose Bowl but, now that it's past year two and "established", it will get easier to pay that bill each year. Their design leadership choices are incrementally better each year. I'll bet Mark Richardson and all of Academy were crapping bricks hoping this show took them to Saturday night, knowing the risks they took to get there (measured risks that they are, I'd bet).

These two - and others - seem to have gotten the message that "slow and steady" wins in this activity.

• Like 1

Genesis had more shows scheduled last season than this season...just saying...

Genesis had more shows scheduled last season than this season...just saying...

My guess is that this early-season schedule will get fleshed out more if they are eventually approved for WC. Right now I see 22 shows on the schedule for 2017 with some pretty big calendar gaps. They have done 25 or more for the past 3 seasons.

Sorry if parts of this are redundant, but this fiction deserves a reply.

1st. Remember that the ppt document and the presentation was all one buffoon.

No. The show format content was authored by Gibbs, while Hopkins was primary author of the remainder.

2nd. There's a HUGE difference between vigilance and "outrageously large chip on your shoulder".

That may be true. Too bad you cannot discern the difference.

3rd. There were actually some good things in all that mess. New sheets. TOC shows. Lit a fire at DCI leading to Soundsport. (yeah drumline battle we won't mention) which kicked off WGI Winds.

Wow, what? G7 had nothing to do with SoundSport. The only "fire" it lit within DCI was the one that burned down the five-year business plan for growth that everyone had just agreed to. As for new sheets, they came and went. So did the TOC show format - only the name and the partial money grab remain.

4th. Everyone else has moved on. Get over yourself (corps who still are obsessed with the G7).

Take your own advice.

The buffoon presented in his usual ham-handed fashion. That was huge part of the reaction.

The reaction here on DCP was to the content of the proposals. Most (possibly all) of the posters here were not firsthand witnesses to how they were presented.

Given what's happened in subsequent years, it's pretty clear that both "sides" have shifted considerably. Furthermore what might have existed of the G7 "alliance" rapidly disintegrated into tatters.

I hope you are correct about that. But you really have no way of knowing. None of us do.

They couldn't agree to actually ACT on a single item of the MiM agenda.

That clearly is not true. They presented several of their ultimatums to the DCI board. They operated the TOC shows under their enhanced format for a couple of years. They established MiM as a 501c3, and that organization ran some band shows in the fall.

It's dead and buried.

I prefer to think of it like a cancer that is in remission.

If you don't want to see that, I'm not wasting my time trying to convince you. In fact I'm not wasting my time on the subject at all.

Looks like you already have.

• Like 2

Recently started checking out more Open Class performances and finally got a chance to see Genesis last year. It wasn't my favorite show, but there were some cool ideas and very lovely moments.

Competitively speaking: I have no reason to believe they can't successfully make the jump, considering they've consistently made semis for several years now. Even then, that stuff takes a back seat to the administrative aspects, which all seem solid. Haven't seen any red flags indicating they can't support a World Class tour.

As for Open Class as a whole, there will be some new/returning groups like Louisiana Stars, RCR, and Southwind who seem well-managed and poised to move up a step or two.

If Genesis truly advances, congratulations ... may your related DCP threads be positive and free from flame-wars, bitter alumni rants, and constant G7 mewling.