Heard there was a rumor in dispute and you needed proof

44 minutes ago, Liahona said:

I completely understand and agree with DCI's policy that members should be obligated to make sure their debts are paid in full with the corps they marched in a previous season before being able to march with another corps (pretty much the the gist or to paraphrase it).

Where I split off of that reasoning and do not see a comparison is specifically concerning scholarships. Expecting a scholarship to carry-over secondary or tertiary or more years is just unreasonable when that member faithfully performed a service so to speak for that organization for the season in which the scholarship was granted. When kids are paying to participate having a condition that requires post-completion as I've said previously seems pretty punitive IMO.

Even if it's written into the terms?! There's a document out there that says [paraphrased] "If you go somewhere else in 2017 you have to pay us this money back. Cool?" and at the bottom there's the members' signature and a checked checkbox marked "Cool.". You don't believe that should be enforced?

2 minutes ago, ouooga said:

Even if it's written into the terms?! There's a document out there that says [paraphrased] "If you go somewhere else in 2017 you have to pay us this money back. Cool?" and at the bottom there's the members' signature and a checked checkbox marked "Cool.". You don't believe that should be enforced?

I'm guessing Liahona's point was that if that clause is indeed in the contract, that it shouldn't have been there in the first place.

• Like 2

Just now, Stu said:

To me, unless this email has been cleared by 'all parties listed within the email', we should not be discussing it within this open forum.

Lets take a look at forum guidelines.

Posting Guidelines: Members shall not post --

SNIP

--emails, private messages, instant messages and anything not written by the person doing the actual posting

hm

25 minutes ago, mj3004 said:

No.  I mentioned Crown, because Crown is the only corps requesting that scholarships be repaid.  If you have an example of another Corps doing this, please post.  Requesting money back from scholarships already given for a previous year is NOT a DCI policy.

Reddit

https://www.reddit.com/r/drumcorps/comments/5rsh88/carolina_crown_asks_migrated_kids_for_scholarship/

[–]Ukrguy13Madison '13 Crown '14,'16 2 points an hour ago 

I had to do the same thing when I left Scouts for Crown

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, mj3004 said:

No.  I mentioned Crown, because Crown is the only corps requesting that scholarships be repaid.  If you have an example of another Corps doing this, please post.  Requesting money back from scholarships already given for a previous year is NOT a DCI policy.

No, but MM's paying off debt before being allowed to move, is.

Let's role play, just for an example of WE DON'T KNOW THE FACTS:

ED to Major Supporter:  "Great!  Thanks so much for the wonderful gift!  How would you like it to be used?"

MS: "Well, I'd like to support talented kids who are money challenged.  And I also would like to promote longevity of members in the corps.  So how about you find a kid(s) who are willing to sign a contract to not move for XX years and tell them that their fees are covered if they agree to stay through their age-out year."

ED to kid: "Now, this donor has made this scholarship available to you because of your talent, but it comes with the stipulation that, if you leave the corps, you have to pay the money back.  Do you understand?"

Kid: "Yes, I love Crown.  I'll NEVER leave Crown!"

ED:  "Great, we love you, too, and we're going to give you some great instruction and develop your amazing chops even more! Sign here, and you're fully paid thanks to Mr. Major Supporter.  Be sure to send him a thank you note."

Crown delivers on their promise.

Crown staff goes to BAC, kid leaves Crown.

Crown: "Please pay back the money under the terms of the agreement you signed."

Kid: "THAT'S NOT FAIR!  You can't take scholarship money back!"

Kid's parents leak purportedly confidential information to somebody who posts on DCP.

Crown shrugs shoulders, requests payment.  

Welcome to life, kid. You makes a deal and takes the money, you gotta fulfill your obligation.

Drum corps teaches life, we always say.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, garfield said:

No, but MM's paying off debt before being allowed to move, is.

Let's role play, just for an example of WE DON'T KNOW THE FACTS:

ED to Major Supporter:  "Great!  Thanks so much for the wonderful gift!  How would you like it to be used?"

MS: "Well, I'd like to support talented kids who are money challenged.  And I also would like to promote longevity of members in the corps.  So how about you find a kid(s) who are willing to sign a contract to not move for XX years and tell them that their fees are covered if they agree to stay through their age-out year."

ED to kid: "Now, this donor has made this scholarship available to you because of your talent, but it comes with the stipulation that, if you leave the corps, you have to pay the money back.  Do you understand?"

Kid: "Yes, I love Crown.  I'll NEVER leave Crown!"

ED:  "Great, we love you, too, and we're going to give you some great instruction and develop your amazing chops even more! Sign here, and you're fully paid thanks to Mr. Major Supporter.  Be sure to send him a thank you note."

Crown delivers on their promise.

Crown staff goes to BAC, kid leaves Crown.

Crown: "Please pay back the money under the terms of the agreement you signed."

Kid: "THAT'S NOT FAIR!  You can't take scholarship money back!"

Kid's parents leak purportedly confidential information to somebody who posts on DCP.

Crown shrugs shoulders, requests payment.  

Welcome to life, kid. You makes a deal and takes the money, you gotta fulfill your obligation.

Drum corps teaches life, we always say.

This is an unfair post and it completely throws the "kid" under the bus.  You keep telling us not to talk about speculation, but youre doing it yourself?  Talking about how you THINK a situation went is speculation.

Anyways..does anyone actually have a contract or info on how this contract might have worked?  I just want to know if they were binded by the scholarship.

Edited by BoaDci
  • Like 3