Heard there was a rumor in dispute and you needed proof

2 minutes ago, LabMaster said:

Hi, you say this is a "policy voted-on and enacted by the activity".  Can you provide us all with a copy of the policy?  I would be fascinated to read that and read a contract because that and a contract would help clear all this up.

No, I can't.  Although I could make one call and get it, why?  What's the point here?  To prove or disprove Crown's ability to make the demand?  I don't have to; Ms Coates made the statement that they are permitted under terms widely used as standard practice in DCI.

We might also ask the OP to get the contract.  Would seem to me that there'd be a willingness to provide it if the person involved was trying to show that the stipulation was missing, or buried, or too filled with legal jargon for an ADULT to understand.

Without trying to stir the pot or seem like I'm defending one group over another (because frankly, I don't give a sh#t), but some people have been saying that adding a clause in the contract is unethical and I just don't agree with it.  In my world, there are various non-compete arrangements in employment contracts that prevent employees from jumping ship to a competitor.

Cue the people who will inevitably say "but this is drum corps, not an employment contract."  Fair.  But contracts are contracts regardless of the subject matter.  All that is needed for a contract to be legally enforceable is an offer, acceptance, legality, and consideration (exchange of service or goods).  In this case, given that signing parties must be 18 years old, I am assuming that they are all competent signing parties, and given that the tour was completed, there was consideration.  All that is remaining is legality.  Is the requirement to repay scholarship monies legal?  I certainly don't know the answer to that, but what I'm trying to say is that there are certainly other similar examples in contract law, such as non-compete arrangements, discounts and earnouts, that are similar in nature and easily enforceable.  With that said, what's stopping a drum corps from doing the same?  

"We are going to provide a service to you and expect that we will do so for the next three years, and in exchange for that service we gave you a customer loyalty discount.  If you break the contract, you will be billed for any discounts previously offered."

Doesn't sound as bad when you replace the word "scholarship" with another more common term seen in contracts.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, tesmusic said:

Corps aren't going to just give money away. The people #####ing at Boston camp were parents, based on posts. So if mommy and daddy didn't sign, and it was a marching member, then maybe mommy and daddy shouldn't complain about their kids responsibility. Maybe mommy and daddy should tell Johnny or Jilly to take responsibility and teach them a lesson about reading things before they sign them, instead of thinking they're getting a hand-out with zero responsibility.

I've given money away, no strings attached.  There was mention in an earlier post that a scholarship sponsor, not the corps, stipulated that an MM receiving their scholarship, would be required to pay back any moneys then deemed owed,  if the MM receiving the scholarship,  did not fulfill their commitment to not march anywhere else in their DC career.  That does not strike me as a scholarship, a grant -in-aid for a student. 

19 minutes ago, Eleran said:

you were adamant that Carolina didn't offer any scholarships.

Yes, it does seem like a million years ago that people connected with Carolina Crown ( hello, Corpsband ! ) were telling us that " Carolina Crown does not offer scholarships ".

But that was yesterday, and this is today... and now we all know better.

Education is always far better than remaining in the dark, not aware of what is taking place. Here, the public good was served to future alert parents to read carefully the contracts their chosen Corps are having them sign, especially on monies owed.

14 minutes ago, LabMaster said:

The smart kid gets an academic scholarship.  After  year or two, the kid discovers there is another college they might prefer; closer to home, more academic opportunity, whatever.  They transfer.  Maybe they get a scholarship at their new school, maybe not.  Does the school they depart from, bill them?  Maybe they do.  I don't know.  But I sense they do not.  This is just my take and opinion as like I said, I don't KNOW the details.  Like may who have responded on this thread. 

You're welcome because I am indulging you :-).

You're conflating two different worlds into a similarity that you can't say exists.  

1 minute ago, garfield said:

No, I can't.  Although I could make one call and get it, why?  What's the point here?  To prove or disprove Crown's ability to make the demand?  I don't have to; Ms Coates made the statement that they are permitted under terms widely used as standard practice in DCI.

We might also ask the OP to get the contract.  Would seem to me that there'd be a willingness to provide it if the person involved was trying to show that the stipulation was missing, or buried, or too filled with legal jargon for an ADULT to understand.

The point is, I was asking a question.  You seem overly sensitive about that.  It was nothing more than asking you about something you intimated knowing about.  That's all.  You are right, maybe Ms. Coates SHOULD provide something but you said it was a "policy" then you said Ms. Coats said they are "permitted under terms widely used as standard practice".    So that begs the questions: who is permitting this?  And where is it shown to be standard practice?

I'd love for the OP to get a copy of the contract, but why does it seem that NO ONE can get a copy of a contract?  NO ONE!  How about Ms. Coates show the contract?  How about anyone show a standard or specific corps contract?  This would put all the armchairs lawyers to rest.

3 minutes ago, cowtown said:

But I’m only here for the witch hunt, now who get’s my pitchfork?

Show me the contract, I’m getting pitchfork twitchy

lol.  I was sharpening the tines on my pitchfork last night, too.

And I haven't pointed it at you.  Yet.

:whistle:

5 minutes ago, garfield said:

You're welcome because I am indulging you :-).

You're conflating two different worlds into a similarity that you can't say exists.  

I'm talking about scholarships for students.  The environments are a bit different but the concept is not.

• Like 2