Heard there was a rumor in dispute and you needed proof

7 minutes ago, garfield said:

THIS directly from Crown's site just a moment ago (emphasis mine):

• What if I still owe money to the last corps I marched with? Unfortunately, you will not be permitted to participate in Carolina Crown until you have fulfilled all financial commitments to any previous drums corps you have participated in. This is a Drum Corps International policy and there are no exceptions.

You are completely missing the point...Crown revoking a scholarship from a previous season because the kid is going to another corps...If the kid still has dues they haven't paid for 2016 of course they need to pay them...but that's completely ignoring the second part of that email IMO.  

7 minutes ago, Liahona said:

This has nothing to do with scholarships granted for a previous season IMO. I don't think anyone here is disputing that any financial commitments in terms of member fees must be fulfilled.

….per the terms of your signed 2016 Scholarship Agreement, since you will be participating in a corps other than Carolina Crown, that scholarship has been revoked and the amount added to your balance due.

Um, it sounds like that's exactly what people are disputing. Financial commitments are financial commitments.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, AdamBomb said:

If anyone should be getting upset, it should be the students and their parents getting upset at the instructor who has been miss informing and miss guiding them all along the way. An instructor who is ultimately not tied to anyplace and can wreak the same havoc at any stop along his employment chain.

What instructors were " misinforming and misguiding " parents and students and " wrecking havoc ? Those are pretty serious charges.. rumors ?  Who are these instructors ? Are you talking about former wonderful CC staff there ? As to my knowledge, they guided their former marchers at CC very well ... and for over a decade, and with no scintilla of info that they were ever " misguiding all along the way " the thousands of great kids that marched there under their many years of wonderful instruction there. So I'm not quite understanding who you are referring to here as such dishonorable instructors with students and parents. Any names ?  ( and be careful, here )

Edited by BRASSO

4 minutes ago, Liahona said:

You are completely missing the point...Crown revoking a scholarship from a previous season because the kid is going to another corps...If the kid still has dues they haven't paid for 2016 of course they need to pay them...but that's completely ignoring the second part of that email IMO.  

No, I'm not!  You are missing the point that the term used might not reflect other uses of the term and you might be conflating the two erroneously. 

Financial support can take many forms in drum corps because the support can come from several places.  One might be from a donor providing financial support with stipulations that require longevity. 

I think you might be taking the term to be too literally applied in a way you are familiar.

Edited by garfield
clarity
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

But not all corps honor this....continually..maybe this is why there are more stipulations when awarding a scholarship to members. Just sayin

Another question I would have IF interviewing a new member. The Scholarship they received , was it for financial  need? If so, are they requiring another one for the next corps? Again, if so does corps 2 or 3 even want a member who takes and run.. Just sayin.

I ask this only because I have seen many MMs in the activity who have made such things an art form.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BRASSO said:

What instructors were " misinforming and misguiding " parents and students and " wrecking havoc ? Those are pretty serious charges.. rumors ?  Who are these instructors ? Are you talking about former CC staff here ? As to my knowledge, they guided their former marchers at CC very well ... and for over a decade, and with no scintilla of info that they were " misguiding all along the way " the thousands of great kids that marched there under their many years of instruction there. So I'm not quite understanding who you are referring to here as such instructors. Any names ?

Careful AdamBomb, you're now entering Brasso's world.  Tread carefully...

Lol

1 minute ago, GUARDLING said:

Another question I would have IF interviewing a new member. The Scholarship they received , was it for financial  need? If so, are they requiring another one for the next corps? Again, if so does corps 2 or 3 even want a member who takes and run.. Just sayin.

I ask this only because I have seen many MMs in the activity who have made such things an art form.

In my business it IS an art form, except it can come with millions of dollars attached, and hundreds-of-thousands in inducements are commonplace.

It's so bad that the (soon to be slaughtered) Dodd-Frank created Consumer Financial Protection Board (good riddance) required complete transparency by mandating that transfers make public declarations stating how much they are being awarded to change firms.

Sounds like the same type of solution might stop these "jumping MM's" from rolling financial obligations from one corps to another.  But, on the other hand, it's not really a problem here in this case if BAC simply steps up and pays off the balance due to Crown.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, garfield said:

Careful AdamBomb, you're now entering Brasso's world.  Tread carefully...

Lol

I'm easy. I just did not know who he was talking about, and asked who.  I can't help it if I have a naturally curious and inquisitive mind. 

5 minutes ago, garfield said:

No, I'm not!  You are missing the point that the term used might not reflect other uses of the term and you might be conflating the two erroneously. 

Financial support can take many forms in drum corps because the support can come from several places.  One might be from a donor providing financial support with stipulations that require longevity. 

I think you might be taking the term to be too literally applied in a way you are familiar.

Another poster has alluded that Crown has NOT acted on this "scholarship revoking" policy to kids in the past. I have no idea as to the truthfulness of that post. Although, it appears credible and the fact that Crown is now arbitrarily changing their own rules to suit their needs at this point in the game...with an already previously set precedent of NOT revoking scholarships ( I have no evidence) ...is a petty act and in my opinion unethical to say the least if true.