Ouooga - I have ran across large complexes with multi soccer fields in different buildings. And for sports games going on at the same time that is fine because each game only needs one field. But am not aware of any that could accommodate three corps 'rehearsing' simultaneously at the same complex without each disturbing the other because each corps needs multiple places to rehearse properly throughout the day. Please explain how this would work with say Cavilers, BD, and SCV all rehearsing at the same time on the multiple fields at the same complex.

7 hours ago, jjeffeory said:

some could even stay in St. George Utah and drive down (2 hours) to Las Vegas.

The St. G area usually runs about 7-10 degrees cooler than Vegas and currently there are no large enough indoor locations.

Edited by Ghost
  • Like 1

I have read multiple posts in this thread that the potential rehearsal sites in the Vegas area are most always available during the months of July and August; and because they are not normally leased during those months corps could possibly get good lease deals. So, pray tell, why are the venues so empty during those months? Could it possibly have anything to do with the fewer number of people visiting Vegas and engaging in physical activities in the desert in the middle of the summer?

Edited by Stu

24 minutes ago, Stu said:

I have read multiple posts in this thread that the potential rehearsal sites in the Vegas area are most always available during the months of July and August; and because they are not normally leased during those months corps could possibly get good lease deals. So, pray tell, why are the venues so empty during those months? Could it possibly have anything to do with the fewer number of people visiting Vegas and engaging in physical activities in the desert in the middle of the summer?

I have read multiple posts in this site that potential rehearsal sites in Fill in the Blank area are most always available during the months of July and August, and because they are not normally leased during those months corps could possibly get good lease deals. So, pray tell, why are the venues so empty during those months ? Could it possibly have anything to do with the fewer number of people visiting these schools and engaging in education and physical activities in the middle of the summer ?   ( lol! )

2 hours ago, Stu said:

Re: convention sites, which are what have low lease occupancy (nationwide) during the summer, it's primarily due to conventions in general taking major breaks during the summer and around Christmas as well. In both seasons, conventions simply find it better to not have to compete for their audiences with family vacation destinations. This is industry-wide among conventions and convention centers. The few centers that do continue to host events generally do so with consumer-focused events (a la the aforementioned GenCon), which are generally smaller than business-focused events, hence they don't host the events among the largest convention centers (Chicago, Orlando, Las Vegas).

Edit: Also to the point of "fewer number of people visiting Vegas....in the middle of the summer", as Ghost pointed out in his second link, July had the highest visitor volume in 2016 of all 12 months (in a year that saw more visitors to Las Vegas than any other year in history).

Edited by ouooga
Additional info about July

So to summarize, DCI has had Corps practice and compete in shows in Nevada before in the summer, as recently as a couple of years ago too. Nobody died. Nobody got heat exhaustion. Nobody in any of the Corps went to the hospital for heat related ailments. . Nobody complained to DCI about the practices and shows in the state of Nevada before, nor after the shows there, and nobody complained about the DCI shows and practices in the state of Nevada on DCP.

But, this does not mean that a few posters can't invent a problem when history tells us, there wasn't one. ( lol!). We on DCP are entitled to create our own imaginary fears, even when real world experiences tell us our  fears appear from real world experiences to be mostly unwarranted, provided the usual safe and precautionary protocol is followed in ALL weather conditions that might pose a potential threat to Corps and fans alike.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Stu said:

Ouooga - I have ran across large complexes with multi soccer fields in different buildings. And for sports games going on at the same time that is fine because each game only needs one field. But am not aware of any that could accommodate three corps 'rehearsing' simultaneously at the same complex without each disturbing the other because each corps needs multiple places to rehearse properly throughout the day. Please explain how this would work with say Cavilers, BD, and SCV all rehearsing at the same time on the multiple fields at the same complex.

Well, I literally housed with other corps at the same housing site, and we've made it work. Heck, I shared a housing site with the Colts the day after they beat us, which was extremely awkward but we made it work. Also housed with Oregon Crusaders, Blue Stars, SCV, Blue Devils (super temporary, we shared showers, I think theirs were broken or something). My point being that sharing a housing/rehearsal site isn't uncommon, or at least it wasn't a decade ago.

I think I only referenced one Soccer Stadium, and it was specifically as a cool "what if" for a single corps. But let's take Cashman Center or the Las Vegas Convention Center as an example. Both of these have massive facilities with space that can be easily partitioned, and even without partitions there's multiple convention halls that are quite literally almost a mile away from each other. For context, I walk around the Las Vegas Convention Center several times a week. It takes an hour to complete a loop. These are very, very large facilities. 

3 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

So to summarize, DCI has had Corps practice and compete in shows in Nevada before in the summer, as recently as a couple of years ago too. Nobody died. Nobody got heat exhaustion. Nobody in any of the Corps went to the hospital for heat related ailments. . Nobody complained to DCI about the practices and shows in the state of Nevada before, nor after the shows there, and nobody complained about the DCI shows and practices in the state of Nevada on DCP.

But, this does not mean that a few posters can't invent a problem when history tells us, there wasn't one. ( lol!). We on DCP are entitled to create our own imaginary fears, even when real world experiences tell us our  fears appear from real world experiences to be mostly unwarranted, provided the usual safe and precautionary protocol is followed in ALL weather conditions that might pose a potential threat to Corps and fans alike.

To be completely transparent, the 09 show was not actually a DCI show. But that's nitpicky and doesn't detract from the value of your statement at all. I'm sure if we try hard enough, we can come up with plausible dangers about every show site! (possible topic idea for a new thread?)

2 hours ago, Stu said:

During that part of the summer in 2011 Heat Indexes in the South (TX, LA, etc..), Mid-South (AR, TN, etc…) , and the lower  Mid-West (Ok, MO, etc…) were all over 120*.  So, I was not being hyperbolic.

Noticed you changed from "temperature" to "heat index".  Key difference.

• Like 2