I think poster adf is onto something:

"SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY!!! JC   Agagenian presents...DRUM CORRRRPS and MONSTER TRUHHHCKS...!!! SEE GRAVEDIGGER JUMP THE FRONT ENSEMBLE OF DEAAAATH!!!  Special autograph session with your favoritite PHANTOMETTES...!!!" 

Just thinking outside the box here.

13 hours ago, jjeffeory said:

...but it's a dry heat....

95* and humid it is miserable; but 105* in dry heat is way more dangerous because it is not that miserable feeling and thus the symptoms leading to heat related issues are masked.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, xandandl said:

Besides the breathing and dehydration problems already cited in this thread, the heat effect on the artificial turfs cause a burning sensation on the underside of the feet if the shoes are not made to counter this. Imagine the kneeling in spandex, the laying on the ground of current drill visuals, etc.

Ok...dut dut dut, kneel, place horn down, JAZZ HANDS, lie flat, roll...crap, I'm stuck.

20 hours ago, wolfgang said:

Anyway, back to our regularly scheduled thread. Using the current tour model, and a "passing through" show, the show is in the new Raiders venue in 2021 (using Indy and Atlanta as models, we'll say they were still putting finishing touches on it during early July 2020).

Its on Wednesday. The following night Ogden, UT and DATR on Saturday. The northwest jaunt is also happening concurrently, and we'll say either BD or SCV is on that leg (lets say SCV) plus OC, Cascades, and the northwest Open groups.

A midwest corps is also doing a pacific tour (picking name out of hat... It's Cavies).

So, for a Wednesday night show, our lineup is Blue Devils, Cavaliers, Blue Knights, The Academy, Mandarins, and Pacific Crest, joined by BDB, Vanguard Cadets, Gold, and The Battallion.

Most promoters on the country would love that as a midweek lineup. If the northwest leg was earlier and SCV, OC,  and Cascades were added, so much the better for this example.

Also, it behooves DCI to expand into new markets. Counting Vegas, Henderson, and other burbs, plus somewhere like Flagstaff or St George, how many people live within 2 to 3 hours of there?

Ok, here is a chance to win over the skeptics like me with your hypothetical scenario.  Four questions for ‘you’ to answer and post here in this thread:

#1) What do you realistically think will be the lease-rate charged to DCI to have the show located at the new Radiers Pro Stadium?

#2) Considering the ten corps you listed on the marque, how much net, not gross, but net profit do you think DCI will garner from ticket sales at a show being held at that Pro stadium?

#3) Someone in this thread stated that there are indoor facilities in the Vegas area large enough to handle 'full' rehearsals; can you please name the indoor facilities that are in the Vegas area which can provide indoor floor space large enough for those full rehearsals?

#4) Corps have to pay hefty costs for rehearsal/housing sites like schools, and they are very hard to book.  While BD can pretty much afford any rehearsal site they want, Gold and Battalion tour on peanuts and need way lower-cost facilities.  Understanding that each corps needs a football field sized area with upper vantage points for staff, and that neither Gold nor Battalion can afford the same high-rate facilities as BD, what are the locations most likely to be rehearsal sites for each corps?  (example: BD at blank; Gold at blank; etc...)

Edited by Stu

On 4/1/2017 at 11:29 AM, Stu said:

95* and humid it is miserable; but 105* in dry heat is way more dangerous because it is not that miserable feeling and thus the symptoms leading to heat related issues are masked.

I won't disagree, because I do not know which is worse, but I think one of the secrets to being ok in extreme heat is to stay hydrated, and to stay covered AND use sun screen.

I see many people working out in the sun in Vegas during the day, especially with landscaping, and they stay covered.  I wouldn't have members practicing outside in anything over 110 for sure though.

I'm willing to "wager" that there are places to practice in doors though.

Edited by jjeffeory

31 minutes ago, jjeffeory said:

I won't disagree, because I do not know which is worse, but I think one of the secrets to being ok in extreme heat is to stay hydrated, and to stay covered AND use sun screen.

I see many people working out in the sun in Vegas during the day, especially with landscaping, and they stay covered.  I wouldn't have members practicing outside in anything over 110 for sure though.

I'm willing to "wager" that there are places to practice in doors though.

Ummm… while the average ambient temperature during the day in Vegas in July and August is around 106*, the average’ heat index’ is at or over 110*.

There are, for example, roofers in many cities out on rooftops in hot weather, and often times it is around 120* heat index on the rooftop;  they stay hydrated and protect themselves as best they can; nevertheless many of them still develop melanoma, heat strokes, and end up passing away in their 40's and 50's.  The smart roofers work from sunrise until around 10:00am then possibly again from 7:00pm to dark and stay off the roof from 10:00am to around 7:00pm.  The turf or field during the day in Vegas would be at around the same temperature as it is on the rooftops during the same time periods.  And while training, hydration, sunscreen and occasional rest in the shade are all preventative measures, most all certified medical professionals would state that during those extreme temperatures nobody at all should do any physical exertion outside like what youth do who are involved in DCI.

And let’s say there are two indoor facilities in Vegas that have enough floor space to accommodate a full DCI rehearsal.  During July or August, do you propose that say BD will get one, Cadets will get the other, and the rest of the corps are forced to rehearse outside in the middle of the day with a heat index at or over 110*?

Offline for a couple of days, came home to see, what, several more pages of the back and forth on whether heat, no heat, dry heat, humid heat, desert air, indoor air, drum corps in Arizona, drum corps in Las Vegas, drum corps in Antarctica, whatever, is better, or worse, for the marching members, fans, people wandering in off the streets... and I now realize...

All of us have to have to have something better to do with our time. :tongue: And I now know why, sooner or later, I gotta get out of active participation in drum corps. LOL

4 minutes ago, Stu said:

Ummm… while the average ambient temperature during the day in Vegas in July and August is around 106*, the average

And let’s say there are two indoor facilities in Vegas that have enough floor space to accommodate a full DCI rehearsal.  During July or August, do you propose that say BD will get one, Cadets will get the other, and the rest of the corps are forced to rehearse outside in the middle of the day with a heat index at or over 110*?

Hey, Stu, you are dating yourself.

BAC will have already bought one of those two facilities for its' color guard, the other for its hornline. Its percussion wants to be HOT/\______/\

6 minutes ago, xandandl said:

BAC will have already bought one of those two facilities for its' color guard, the other for its hornline. Its percussion wants to be HOT/\______/\

The BAC BOD would not buy one of those facilities, but become a silent investment partner with both those facilities so the organization can create steady returns on investment for years to come.

20 minutes ago, Stu said:

Ummm… while the average ambient temperature during the day in Vegas in July and August is around 106*, the average’ heat index’ is at or over 110*.

There are, for example, roofers in many cities out on rooftops in hot weather, and often times it is around 120* heat index on the rooftop;  they stay hydrated and protect themselves as best they can; nevertheless many of them still develop melanoma, heat strokes, and end up passing away in their 40's and 50's.  The smart roofers work from sunrise until around 10:00am then possibly again from 7:00pm to dark and stay off the roof from 10:00am to around 7:00pm.  The turf or field during the day in Vegas would be at around the same temperature as it is on the rooftops during the same time periods.  And while training, hydration, sunscreen and occasional rest in the shade are all preventative measures, most all certified medical professionals would state that during those extreme temperatures nobody at all should do any physical exertion outside like what youth do who are involved in DCI.

Nice to see you being so passionate about this topic.

I don't think this would be too much of a problem for 1 days worth of rehearsal if all the proper precautions are taken.  Roofers are out in the sun in that harsh environment day after day, year after year.

I agree with you. It's best to work outside from sunrise to about 10:00 am in Vegas. 

There are plenty of indoor facilities in Las Vegas.  The costs associated to rent the spaces may be an issue.

I personally don't know what the issue is that you're having. There have been shows in Arizona without too much incident, and sometimes the SoCal shows are super hot too, especially the Riverside show. I say Why not Vegas too?

• Like 1