Cone of silence

even better. 

This year straight out of the living room, the all original show, "cone of silence". 

It's better than the cone of shame.  ;-)

i remember back before we had social media that we found out what the corps were playing in either drum corps publications, or when we showed up at a show.  I'm not saying that was either good or bad.  I must say it gave Bluecoats an air of mystery last year, not having any idea of what they were going to do or play.  JMHO.  

1 hour ago, Terri Schehr said:

It's better than the cone of shame.  ;-)

i remember back before we had social media that we found out what the corps were playing in either drum corps publications, or when we showed up at a show.   

True... and some of those Drum Corps shows were competitions in April ( standstills ) or May ( field competitions ). So we basically knew by now what a lot of the Corps would be playing, as in some cases, we'd have already seen them in competition by now, or over the next couple of weeks.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

I get the feeling both BD and SCV are doing the Hamilton thing as a joke.  I also think they will both announce on the 12th (SCV said that is when they will)

1 hour ago, flammaster said:

I get the feeling both BD and SCV are doing the Hamilton thing as a joke.  I also think they will both announce on the 12th (SCV said that is when they will)

yep -- Cadets had Lion King so Hamilton is the west coast reply.  funny thing is , the Lion King meme was entirely grass-roots member-driven.  had nothing to do with the YEA machine.  

• Like 1

I'm wondering if this year's Shako of Silence or Cone of Silence will have had an effect on winter tee shirt sales, etc.  And if the director's dropped jaws still have them tongue tied next winter, what could we DCPers do 1) to maintain and increase participation on DCP,  2) expand the poster base so it's not just the same old homers and dinos making DCP seem like adult daycare  and 3) and to add to the common good of the activity by tapping our combined experience, wisdom, and talents.

There's already the DCP Fantasy League  and MicroMarching for those who wish to manifest their armchair designer genes. There's WGI (Guard/Winds/Perc.) for those who need to perform, even SoundSport in some cases..  And of course, there are the mandatory off  season judging clinics and training sessions for those who relish being the infallible critic.

But what about the wannabees?  Can they be brought into the DCP fold?

Imagine if potential MMs posted audition tapes on DCP hoping either to make The DC Planetaires or the "training" corps, The DC Planeteers. Auditionees would use a code number and DCP posters would view/hear the coded tape before tapping their experience and talents to offer comments for improvement, other perspectives, or additional suggestions  Since The DC Planetaires would be a destination corps, comments would be serious, genuine, and as professional as DCPers could be. But since The DC Planeteers would be a training, parade and exhibition corps, comments might show more creativity, humor and spunk while remaining respectful, of course. Caption heads would rotate throughout the season and help the mods be sure that the judging criteria would be appropriately applied. As the DCP posters/judges would elect the traditional 1 (you've got a contract) 2 (keep plugging and you'll probably get a contract ) or 3 (DCI isn't quite ready for you yet) rankings, caption heads will also announce after a few days the average total for the auditionee. A  separate horn thread would exist, separated from the percussion thread who would be making a racket next door.  As the most variety of styles exists in the world of guardsters, that thread might exist in a future season. In turn for our wonderful collaborative wisdom shared with the auditionees, they might feel obligated to pass along a few tidbits from camp of whatever corps gave them a contract.

Just a rambling idea to keep DCPers vested during these solitude off seasons by providing a diet of more than fried eggs.How could this be tweeked? What say you?

23 minutes ago, xandandl said:

I'm wondering if this year's Shako of Silence or Cone of Silence will have had an effect on winter tee shirt sales, etc.  And if the director's dropped jaws still have them tongue tied next winter, what could we DCPers do 1) to maintain and increase participation on DCP,  2) expand the poster base so it's not just the same old homers and dinos making DCP seem like adult daycare  and 3) and to add to the common good of the activity by tapping our combined experience, wisdom, and talents.

There's already the DCP Fantasy League  and MicroMarching for those who wish to manifest their armchair designer genes. There's WGI (Guard/Winds/Perc.) for those who need to perform, even SoundSport in some cases..  And of course, there are the mandatory off  season judging clinics and training sessions for those who relish being the infallible critic.

But what about the wannabees?  Can they be brought into the DCP fold?

Imagine if potential MMs posted audition tapes on DCP hoping either to make The DC Planetaires or the "training" corps, The DC Planeteers. Auditionees would use a code number and DCP posters would view/hear the coded tape before tapping their experience and talents to offer comments for improvement, other perspectives, or additional suggestions  Since The DC Planetaires would be a destination corps, comments would be serious, genuine, and as professional as DCPers could be. But since The DC Planeteers would be a training, parade and exhibition corps, comments might show more creativity, humor and spunk while remaining respectful, of course. Caption heads would rotate throughout the season and help the mods be sure that the judging criteria would be appropriately applied. As the DCP posters/judges would elect the traditional 1 (you've got a contract) 2 (keep plugging and you'll probably get a contract ) or 3 (DCI isn't quite ready for you yet) rankings, caption heads will also announce after a few days the average total for the auditionee. A  separate horn thread would exist, separated from the percussion thread who would be making a racket next door.  As the most variety of styles exists in the world of guardsters, that thread might exist in a future season. In turn for our wonderful collaborative wisdom shared with the auditionees, they might feel obligated to pass along a few tidbits from camp of whatever corps gave them a contract.

Just a rambling idea to keep DCPers vested during these solitude off seasons by providing a diet of more than fried eggs.How could this be tweeked? What say you?

Is it June yet ?

13 hours ago, tntrooper said:

About a month and a half from the beginning of the season and something puzzles me.  Why is it that the majority of corps have not announced their show themes, songs, or anything?  Is it a strategic move?  As an alumni and fan, knowing this information would be nice.

In deference to the ascension of Our Licensing Overlords, corps are playing it very safe and holding off announcements until all the necessary licenses are signed and the ink is dry.