Cesario out as Artistic Director

3 minutes ago, Stu said:

I am not saying that I do not love what is on the DCI field; the visual is fantastic.  What I am saying is that as a musician I cannot stand to listen to most of DCI music in the recent years on it's own terms.  For an example outside of DCI: The visual performances of Pink Floyd and Rush were fantastic, but I can also really enjoy the CD/MP3 recordings of the live performances.  This is opposed to say Daft Punk or Blue Man; which are both great visually live, and the sounds really enhance what I see on stage; but I find the audio recordings musically boring when I listen to just the music.

And this has everything to do with MC and the way an Artistic Director can steer DCI.

ok, Im sorry you dont like listing to the music end of it ( off field ) I can see how you might feel that way just listening.

Edited by GUARDLING

7 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

ok lets say I give ya that...and?

clearly you dislike that.and that's fine

And.... DCI should be pleasing to both the visual oriented person who likes music as an enhancer to the visual spectral such as yourself, and the 'musician' like me who is intrigued with the visual aspects but desires to hear coherent musical phrases and melodic lines that has composition musical integrity apart from the visual (like the way Broadway musicals make musical sense without watching the stage production but are even more enhanced when seen as well as heard)

7 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

ok, Im sorry you dont like listing to the music end of it ( off field ) I can see how you might feel that way just listening.

Bingo!!!  I loved the entire show of SCV when they did Ballet for Martha (as an example).  The visual was great and the music made 'musical' sense apart from the visual but was even more enhanced when seen as well as heard.

Edited by Stu

19 minutes ago, Stu said:

And.... DCI should be pleasing to both the visual oriented person who likes music as an enhancer to the visual spectral such as yourself, and the 'musician' like me who is intrigued with the visual aspects but desires to hear coherent musical phrases and melodic lines that has composition musical integrity apart from the visual (like the way Broadway musicals make musical sense without watching the stage production but are even more enhanced when seen as well as heard)

just a question for ya , if you dont mind. Have you talked to music people in DCI. If so are they displeased with what they are writing? Do they think they are forced have to follow sheets or trends or do something they don't want?. Just curious. In my experience I havent heard much of it. I know its not just about them and also about people like yourself who have a possible difference of opinion.. I was just curious

Also, do you believe this trend was forced upon them? Im not saying either way but would love to know your opinion.

Edited by GUARDLING

20 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

just a question for ya , if you dont mind. Have you talked to music people in DCI. If so are they displeased with what they are writing? Do they think they have to follow sheets or trends. Just curious. In my experience I havent heard much of it. I know its not just about them and also about people like yourself who have a possible difference of opinion.. I was just curious

Also, do you believe this trend was forced upon them? Im not saying either way but would love to know your opinion.

My opinion: This was a purposeful direction by design.  Whether it was driven by the Artistic Director of DCI, the Corps Staff Designers, the Judges, or a collaboration is beyond me. But I think that at some point DCI shows began to be viewed in GE terms more like 'movies', where the story line presented is what is prominent and the incidental music presented is to be merely emotional enhancement underneath the story-line, as opposed to GE being viewed as cognitively heard musical compositions as well as visual (like in Broadway productions of Les Mis or Rock Concerts like Pink Floyd or Rush).

Edited by Stu
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Stu said:

My opinion: This was a purposeful direction by design.  Whether it was driven by the Artistic Director of DCI, the Corps Staff Designers, the Judges, or a collaboration is beyond me. But I think that at some point DCI shows began to be viewed in GE terms more like 'movies', where the story line presented is what is prominent and the incidental music presented is to be merely emotional enhancement underneath the story-line, as opposed to GE being viewed as cognitively heard musical compositions as well as visual (like in Broadway productions of Les Mis or Rock Concerts like Pink Floyd or Rush).

ok, thanks for your view

1 minute ago, GUARDLING said:

ok, thanks for your view

When The Cadets played the Doxology it was a very cool arrangement to listen to; not only did the music make sense to me as a musician in a composition manner as the melody and harmony moved into a darker key center, it was greatly enhanced when we visually saw ‘the Demons’ were the ones taking it that direction as a sarcastic poke at the Angels.  That was music which was more akin to what is presented on Stage as opposed to what is presented on Screen.  Many other shows in recent years within DCI come across as visual story lines (ie movies) with incidental emotional musical blips underneath the visual that make no musical sense at all unless underneath the visual (and still make no 'musical' sense).

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Stu said:

How many people share the same view as you? I see plenty of people enjoying the music of today's DCI. 

After a season's end, I don't bother watching any visual programs at all, I just listen to the music alone as I study and I enjoy every minute of it. 

Different strokes for different folks. 

26 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

How many people share the same view as you? I see plenty of people enjoying the music of today's DCI. 

After a season's end, I don't bother watching any visual programs at all, I just listen to the music alone as I study and I enjoy every minute of it. 

Different strokes for different folks. 

Having music on while studying is enjoyable; but it is also akin to having a radio on in the background playing Daft Punk to keep you from going wacky in the silence while you are actually preparing for something else.  I am referring to really ‘listening to and focusing in on’ the musical phrases, the melodic lines, the harmonic structure, where the music in your headphones is presented in a coherent musical composition manner with no other distractions; which is something that is difficult to accomplish with most DCI shows presented in recent years (save shows like Ballet for Martha by SCV, etc…)

Edited by Stu