DCI West is the Best - June 25, 2017

25 minutes ago, Ms.L said:

Looking at Nashville tickets now....I better decide if and how many of us are going, now!

Already have my Nashville tickets. I'm so excited for that show!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, kinetic inferno11 said:

Already have my Nashville tickets. I'm so excited for that show!

I just found out that a former student will be there on an internship so we've decided to go.  I'm getting excited about seeing any and all shows this summer!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, BoaDci said:

Lets not get crazy.  I love Mandarins this year, but I think Academy had a bad run and Mandarins had a really good one.

Let's not get crazy. I love Academy, but I think their show isn't well designed, the won't make finals, and Mandarins have a much better product.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, MikeRapp said:

Now that we have seen all of the corps, is it too early to say that if Crown doesn't address the signing aspect of the show, theyre out of the medals? I'd like to believe otherwise, but after seeing BD, BC, SCV and Cavaliers, I'm not sure I'd bet on them if GE is really the key factor.

I think Cadets should be added to the mix, and Cavaliers removed. Cadets show is super. They are going to go very far with this.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, henry7184 said:

Let's not get crazy. I love Academy, but I think their show isn't well designed, the won't make finals, and Mandarins have a much better product.

I dont have a dog in this fight.  I actually dont think Academy wont make finals either...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BoaDci said:

I dont have a dog in this fight.  I actually dont think Academy wont make finals either...

I really hate saying this because I so want them to advance, but I am shocked at the simplicity of this Academy show compared to last year. And by simplicity, I mean, not challenging either in book or drill. I know they have an awesome staff so maybe they can evolve this show quickly. Did they again lose a ton of talent?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

I really hate saying this because I so want them to advance, but I am shocked at the simplicity of this Academy show compared to last year. And by simplicity, I mean, not challenging either in book or drill. I know they have an awesome staff so maybe they can evolve this show quickly. Did they again lose a ton of talent?

Nope.  I just don't think the staff knows what it takes to keep a group in finals.  The design is there, the difficulty isnt, and they will suffer for it.  I do like their show, but it just doesnt have finalist written on it right now.

2 hours ago, MikeRapp said:

2 hours ago, BoaDci said:

Nope.  I just don't think the staff knows what it takes to keep a group in finals.  The design is there, the difficulty isnt, and they will suffer for it.  I do like their show, but it just doesnt have finalist written on it right now.

I'm very curious as well to see how this pans out. I watched a Periscope of their first competitive showing and was blown away, absolutely in love. I also watched the FloMarching broadcast last night and was so much less impressed. It seemed like a super flat, unenergetic, let's-just-get-through-this kind of run. As i said in The Academy thread, the Periscope version of the show I watched from their first competition absolutely had the legs to keep them in finals, and handily. Last night, they deserved to be overtaken by The Mandarins. Talk about two totally different performances from the same corps....

It's early season. The bones of this show have a more challenging brass book than the other corps in their tier (Crossmen & Stars, at least), and a package that already shows terrific guard staging and weapon writing. But I definitely can't explain the massive difference in performance levels and swings in design perception between the two nights. I think a few more performances will really tell us which night was the real one. 

• Like 1