Need help with BD Chop and Paste, Walk and Stand approach to design

5 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

What exactly does that have to do with what I said?

i guess what I'm asking is, what's your point?

I was responding to, and agreeing with, this part of your post:

"Drum corps and marching band in general is such a niche activity, and with school districts around the country axing music education..... That leaves the small group of musicians who will become further involved in the marching arts... It would be a bad move, in my opinion, to completely change direction now. Young people are hooked with the new DCI and that is DCI's newest and future audience."

Edited by Stu
  • Like 1

On ‎7‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 1:23 PM, Candid Insight said:

I judged brass, taught and arranged for a corps that won a DCI title and swept the brass captions.

However, I do not believe my credentials give any more weight to my opinions than anyone else on this forum.

Nor do I think anyone posting in this forum should think their opinions or views are superior to any others.

Thanks for posting your thoughts and opinion.  I for one, don't need to know your qualifications to understand your opinion or to qualify anything you post. 

13 minutes ago, Stu said:

It is funny you mention Broadway Musicals.  I can listen to an audio recording of pretty much any Broadway Musical and the music has melodic content with musical phrasing that is understandable apart from the visual.  And that is also pretty much the case for DCI audio recordings pre-Y2K no matter if it was from the ‘70s, ‘80’s, or ‘90s; the music made ‘musical’ sense apart from the visual.  However, many DCI post-Y2K shows have music with choppy melodic content, incomplete phrasing, Chords, Impacts, and random sounding rhythmic runs to the point that it is disturbingly disjunctive to just listen to on an audio only recording.

Which is why I also added ballet. Don't forget, a Broadway musical is 2+ hours long. A drum corps show is presenting whatever it is presenting in 11 minutes or so, hitting as many highs and lows and in-betweens as it can.

I personally do not care if an audio-only recording makes sense, as that is not the reason I watch drum corps...I like the mix of audio and visual...one reason I thought most concert numbers in my era were just so boring, I guess. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, MikeD said:

Which is why I also added ballet. Don't forget, a Broadway musical is 2+ hours long. A drum corps show is presenting whatever it is presenting in 11 minutes or so, hitting as many highs and lows and in-betweens as it can.

I personally do not care if an audio-only recording makes sense, as that is not the reason I watch drum corps...I like the mix of audio and visual...one reason I thought most concert numbers in my era were just so boring, I guess. 

Hell, even the audio only versions seem extremely entertaining to me 

37 minutes ago, Spartans87 said:

Thanks for posting your thoughts and opinion.  I for one, don't need to know your qualifications to understand your opinion or to qualify anything you post. 

"Ah. Well... I attended Juilliard... I'm a graduate of the Harvard business school. I travel quite extensively. I lived through the Black Plague and had a pretty good time during that. I've seen the EXORCIST ABOUT A HUNDRED AND SIXTY-SEVEN TIMES, AND IT KEEPS GETTING FUNNIER EVERY SINGLE TIME I SEE IT... NOT TO MENTION THE FACT THAT YOU'RE TALKING TO A DEAD GUY... NOW WHAT DO YOU THINK? You think I'm qualified?" - Beetlejuice

1 minute ago, Stu said:

"Ah. Well... I attended Juilliard... I'm a graduate of the Harvard business school. I travel quite extensively. I lived through the Black Plague and had a pretty good time during that. I've seen the EXORCIST ABOUT A HUNDRED AND SIXTY-SEVEN TIMES, AND IT KEEPS GETTING FUNNIER EVERY SINGLE TIME I SEE IT... NOT TO MENTION THE FACT THAT YOU'RE TALKING TO A DEAD GUY... NOW WHAT DO YOU THINK? You think I'm qualified?" - Beetlejuice

Well, for you, I DID need that info.  It actually makes all your posts much more understandable :4_joy:

7 minutes ago, Spartans87 said:

Well, for you, I DID need that info.  It actually makes all your posts much more understandable :4_joy:

Side Bar: Since you seem to be a Steelers fan. Bill Cowher was one of my favorite all time coaches.  He had so much passion. On the sidelines he would grab a player by the mask, scream, snot, and spit while shaking the players head/helmet violently, and you had to read Cowher’s lips to see if he was berating the guy or ‘praising’ him!!

Born and raised in Pittsburgh, so it is in the blood as they say.  Yes, Cowher was perfect for the Steelers at the time he was hired.  I was disappointed when he retired, but think it was better for him to leave when HE wanted too.  More players should do that (like Barry Sanders) frankly!

1 hour ago, Cappybara said:

Many members of these corps will become musicians, yes, but many are also not. In addition, how many of the musicians in the corps will be involved in the marching arts specifically later? Drum corps and marching band in general is such a niche activity, and with school districts around the country axing music education (thanks for the further cut in the education budget you know who), it is becoming even further so. 

That leaves the small group of musicians who will become further involved in the marching arts. For them, you could make the argument that they are being disserviced. BUT at the same time, they aren't necessarily directly being told "hey, this is how music should be written." They are smart enough to know that traditional compositions (i.e. Compositions not combined with a visual element like in the marching arts) are composed in a different way. There is no misdirection going on. If they do want examples of marching compositions that stay closer to the source, there are countless shows to look back to in DCI's history. 

It would be a bad move, in my opinion, to completely change direction now. Young people are hooked with the new DCI and that is DCI's newest and future audience. 

At most shows I have attended recently I have sat amongst current high school band kids, corps alumni, young kids including my own (middle school band kids)... A mixed bag of show-goers.  What do they always react to most (ooo's/aaa's, applause/etc?  Old school drum corps- cool drill, loud beautiful music, high tosses, dynamic contrast... Musical melody- big hooks.  

What draws snickers, eye rolling, and polite "golf clapping" in support?  The scatter & pose stuff referenced by the OP.  Singing/acting/horn "body sculpting"/etc.  I am not sure if most the high school kids are "hooked on the new DCI" or politely tolerate the cringe-inducing stuff for the moments of bread and butter old school drum corps bliss- those moments tend to get the best response by everyone.

I rarely ever understand the meaning behind the shows, and I doubt most fans in the stands do, either.  And honestly, as long as the music is great and the show is cool, I really don't care about the deeper meaning and I bet most others don't care, either.

The live shows I have seen this year all have some phenominal moments amongst the cringe-inducing.  But, if not liking the acting/singing/scatter/pose stuff makes you a "dinosaur" then pretty much every high school kid I have sat amongst can be added to that list- as well as my middle school kids. 

On 7/8/2017 at 4:22 PM, cadet93 said:

Oh my.....you needed to be here about 10 years ago LOL!!!

you mean for the last 10 years LOL

• Like 1