Need help with BD Chop and Paste, Walk and Stand approach to design

3 hours ago, BDCorno said:

It's too bad you can't see them live...they pack so much into their show, you simply can't see it all on video, and depending on who is directing the camera calls, you can miss a lot. The ballad is incredible in person, just immense, and I don't get choked up often but that gets me. I'm sure it's a bit more meaningful to alumni like myself, with all the references to the past as well. Didn't particularly like the show at all when I saw the first snippets from camp, but it's going to rival 2014 when all is said and done, which is saying a lot. My favorite show as well. 

SCV is dynamite in person as well. They could win, but if they do, they're going to have to be almost perfect. Love that, when these two corps push each other to new heights. Crown still may have a say, but the singer thing REALLY isn't my cup of tea. Fantastic horn line, much better percussion, but their guard might keep them out of the top two. Same with Coats. Weaker guard this year, but a great drum line, outstanding horn book, and entertaining program. It's going to be a great finals. Wonder if Boston can catch Cavies....hmmm.

The singing thing in this year's Crown's show is definitely not my cup of tea, either. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Whatever you say! 

I maintain football isn't for the layperson. 

More 'laypeople' have been entertained by the Franco Harris Immaculate Reception than all music and artistic aficionados combined have been entertained by corps within all of the years of DCI. Just sayin'.

Edited by Stu

5 hours ago, Stu said:

Stop!!! Stop right there!!! NE, again I love ya, but if you fail to see the problem here, that in of itself is even a deeper problem 'for the spectators'. They are not your students, they have no desire, not one iota, to be 'educated' by any communication of art edification and public relations concerning the progression of your craft. Many if them went to college and have already taken music and art appreciation courses as electives to get that type of boredom. They pay the big bucks at DCI shows to get 'entertained', period, end of story!!! Educate the youth performers to your hearts content, but get that audience, who really pays the bills, to tapping toes, snapping fingers, swinging, singing, and throwing those babies!!!

I'm blaming myself, the producer, if my paying audience doesn't understand what they're seeing on my stages.

And I'm saying that DCI corps have the same obligations. What about that do you disagree with? 

6 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

As someone who works in the arts, I don't blame the customers when they're confused by our product. I recognize that I'm not doing enough education and public relations. We pitched it as a comedy, but it plays more seriously. Or they're offended by the graphic content, which we should have anticipated and noted in advance. Or they're confused about some aspect of the production that we ought to have explained in the playbill. And so on.

That said, DCI's attendance by all accounts is growing, so this may not be much of a problem.

But if I'm a new fan of the activity who wants to know more about what is considered "good" and "bad" in drum corps, even if, like you, I'm willing to put in the work, where on DCI's website can I find the judging sheets? Or any explanation of what the judges are looking for? From the home page, the only likely path seems to be "About" > "Introduction", which lead you to a video that's about ten years old ("from its modest beginning more than three decades ago") and some information pitched at potential sponsors, because it mostly talks about how many people DCI serves.

Which is all well and good, but every time the company I work for produces a play, by comparison, we include an online information guide about it, and we have a pre-show talk before every performance, and offer behind-the-scenes events where people who want it even more in-depth detail (watch a rehearsal, get an explanation of the costumes from the designer, etc.), and all of this is easily found on our website.

DCi has posted info every season to help with this, and they also do things on social media, and I expect them to use Flomarching to help as well. Could more be out there? I wont disagree more could. Sometimes though if you load a website with too much content, it overloads people. 

in terms of info guides, DCI does a great job at getting show information out there, especially with fieldpass. However, your plays arent judged, so therefore it's an apples oranges kind of comparison

5 hours ago, Stu said:

a) why not ask fullbacks from Larry Csonka to Mike Tolbert who have done that very thing!!! And then get back with us.

b) a person does not need a tutorial understanding of the rules in the NFL to be entertained by the play on the field, yet it is becoming more and more so to enjoy the DCI play on that same very field!

like drum corps, football was a different game during the Csonk's time than it is today. 

and given the issues with todays refereeing, and the fact most networks have an officiating guru that pops up on the screen during games, i'd disagree

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JKT90 said:

By the way, we have a former brass arranger and dci judge on here whose opinion is BD is being over scored. 

Well, you also have former members of BD who also served as staff members of the corps who will argue that they ARE NOT being "overscored". 

I am one of them. 

Like a famous science fiction writer (Harlan Ellison) said, "You are NOT entitled to your option. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant". 

They are not being overscored; they are simply better at the activity than the rest of the field. Period.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

In this year's show, there is a section where BD puts their horns down to dance. If you're right about Bloo, shouldn't BD be paying the same price?

No. It's BD. Their technique is perfect. Bonus points.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, N.E. Brigand said:

I'm blaming myself, the producer, if my paying audience doesn't understand what they're seeing on my stages.

And I'm saying that DCI corps have the same obligations. What about that do you disagree with? 

Of course this is my opinion, but it is the idea of artistic designers thinking that they need to connect to the audience through, using your word, 'education' in order for them to really enjoy a performance; that is the issue. While there are some up there who are deep into contemplating the underlying meanings, the overwhelming majority of the audience just simply wants to be entertained.  This is why Angels and Demons, for example, worked so dang well in 2011; as a whole it was simple, easy to grasp, and written mainly for entertainment, yet it also had some very well crafted subtle elements for the intellectuals here and there.  This in turn pleased both the majority, who wanted entertainment, as well as the minority, who wanted intellectual contemplation. Conversely, Cabaret Voltaire in 2012 was written directly to the very few intellectuals who contemplate underlying meaning and artistic culture, and the designers also tried to educate the majority of those who were there to be entertained. This pleased the academic cohort; but left the ‘uneducated unenlightened dolts’ flat confused with their golf claps.

What gets me is that while both types of designs proved that they can win, many artistic designers in DCI still to this day scoff at shows like Spartacus, which also won with massive entertainment. Thus, again in my opinion, the disconnect between designers and the audience materialized when many of the designers, for some reason, came to believe that the majority needed to be educated and have an understanding of the meaning of a show in order to progress the advancement of the art form.