Need help with BD Chop and Paste, Walk and Stand approach to design

6 minutes ago, SNModdison said:

I counted 3 total occasion where BD marches and plays at the same time. 3. While doing so, the demand is very low (small step size and the tempos are not fast). I just don't know how that can be compared to what SCV and Crown are doing. The demand in those shows is so much greater.

The argument is that the sheets don't require you to keep doing the same hard thing over and over again. Just demonstrate a skill and move on to another skill.

From the audience's perspective, I'm not sure that makes for a better show, but there it is.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, SNModdison said:

I counted 3 total occasion where BD marches and plays at the same time. 3. While doing so, the demand is very low (small step size and the tempos are not fast). I just don't know how that can be compared to what SCV and Crown are doing. The demand in those shows is so much greater.

Hmmm...I count four in the opener alone...and the step sizes on that massive rotation at the end of the opener aren't small. I can tell you with confidence that you have no idea what you're talking about, and I invite you to get off the videos, come to a BD rehearsal, stand on the sideline and see what's really up. You come off sounding foolish. Please stop.

I wonder if you even watch the shows with any kind of a critical eye...you know who stands around the most? SCV. Take away the 12 man, mic'ed up virtuoso soloists, there's really not a whole lot of "there" there in the horn book. Don't get me wrong, this is the best SCV horn line in a very long time, and they're taking a novel approach to their book and it works. I really enjoy some of the really meaty passages the soloists are playing. Gonna go down to the wire. You can't sit back, time and count things to justify that someone is/isn't doing enough. Drill, movement, dance, velocity and more combine to make a number. If it was as easy as you sitting back with your scurrilous and untrue statements, everyone would be judging. You're not. Leave it to the pros.

Edited by BDCorno
more thoughts
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, BDCorno said:

Hmmm...I count four in the opener alone...and the step sizes on that massive rotation at the end of the opener aren't small. I can tell you with confidence that you have no idea what you're talking about, and I invite you to get off the videos, come to a BD rehearsal, stand on the sideline and see what's really up. You come off sounding foolish. Please stop.

I was just gonna say... in that huge rotating block in the opener, a lot of the hornline members who have the wider angle of rotation are practically jazz running while playing with impeccable sound. Absolutely ridiculous to say that every time they march and play they're moving with small steps. 

Their closer isn't even finished yet but it also has some really exposed line rotations and you can bet that the hornline is playing during those too!

edit: spelling

Edited by Cappybara
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, BDCorno said:

Oh, you're right, the step sizes on that rotation are pretty large for some of the members. That is one move that has a ton of demand to clean as well. "You come off sounding foolish. Please stop." One of the reasons I rarely, if ever post on here any more. I'm simply stating that I don't know how the judges compare the demand; it would have to be impossible. I'm glad I'm not a judge, because it's like comparing apples to oranges: what Crown or SCV, or Bluecoats or Blue Devils do is so different.

On 7/13/2017 at 2:43 AM, Stu said:

So with the term 'sire', am I person of noble status or a bull that... Never mind, I know your answer, I am a person full of bull. :tounge2:

actually maybe some of both

• Like 1

2 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Yes, my impression is that BD moved while playing a good deal more last year than they do this year. But last year they lost to a corps who moved while playing less, and they seem to have taken that lesson to heart.

it's not how often you do it, but how well you do it when you do do it.

we've beaten this horse since 2008. it's done whinnying and would rather be a tennis racket or something

• Like 2

Just now, Jeff Ream said:

We've beaten this horse since 2008. It's done whinnying and would rather be a tennis racket or something.

What it really means is that lots of audience members remain confused about this. Which is DCI's fault.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SNModdison said:

Oh, you're right, the step sizes on that rotation are pretty large for some of the members. That is one move that has a ton of demand to clean as well. "You come off sounding foolish. Please stop." One of the reasons I rarely, if ever post on here any more. I'm simply stating that I don't know how the judges compare the demand; it would have to be impossible. I'm glad I'm not a judge, because it's like comparing apples to oranges: what Crown or SCV, or Bluecoats or Blue Devils do is so different.

Sorry, not meaning to come off as too irritated, but if I had a dollar for every time I hear someone criticize BD by saying "well, they only do ____ ____ times for ____ amount of time", blah blah blah, I'd be retired in the Caribbean right now. I have been a judge for many years, both brass and visual, and know what to look for. I can tell you, anything you glean from a video with Blue Devils is null and void until you see it live. There are probably parts of the show where you can legitimately criticize them for lack of this or that, but they'll get to it. Give it time...unlike almost anyone else, they're a work in progress all the way to nats. I'm amazed by the amount of content they put in just from Denver to San Antonio. They're the best in the business, BD's visual staff. They'll be competitive and will have as much or more difficult and well performed drill/movement than anyone else at Indy. Mad respect to SCV, they're a formidable contender. Great program, but smartly played. They stop and play more than anyone, and make use of the soloists very effectively. I don't expect a corps in a ballad to run around at 200 bpm...not appropriate. Visual needs to lend itself to the music. End of story.

BTW, added to the original post, please read. Thanks. Appreciate your thoughts, seriously. Don't let me chase you away, I'm not here much either. 

7 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

What it really means is that lots of audience members remain confused about this. Which is DCI's fault.

no it's not. DCI has reveleaed the sheets when redone, posted videos of judges working shows and talking about what they are looking for. it comes down to people refusing to accept their personal preference isn't the "in thing" anymore.

trust me, i got hung up on the stuff 10 years ago. I took the time to learn, and DCi did some great work providing information a few years ago.

Plus, let's be honest....the more you try to do, the more you expose yourself to getting nailed. risk/reward...you only get so iuch credit for trying.

Edited by Jeff Ream
hit send too soon
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, BDCorno said:

Sorry, not meaning to come off as too irritated, but if I had a dollar for every time I hear someone criticize BD by saying "well, they only do ____ ____ times for ____ amount of time", blah blah blah, I'd be retired in the Caribbean right now. I have been a judge for many years, both brass and visual, and know what to look for. I can tell you, anything you glean from a video with Blue Devils is null and void until you see it live. There are probably parts of the show where you can legitimately criticize them for lack of this or that, but they'll get to it. Give it time...unlike almost anyone else, they're a work in progress all the way to nats. I'm amazed by the amount of content they put in just from Denver to San Antonio. They're the best in the business, BD's visual staff. They'll be competitive and will have as much or more difficult and well performed drill/movement than anyone else at Indy. Mad respect to SCV, they're a formidable contender. Great program, but smartly played. They stop and play more than anyone, and make use of the soloists very effectively. I don't expect a corps in a ballad to run around at 200 bpm...not appropriate. Visual needs to lend itself to the music. End of story.

BTW, added to the original post, please read. Thanks. Appreciate your thoughts, seriously. Don't let me chase you away, I'm not here much either. 

Not chasing me away. The "BD does nothing" thing does get old; it's the same thing every year. I watch drum corps because they are amazing. What Crown, SCV, and Bluecoats do is amazing. The Blue Devils aren't my cup of tea, and haven't been for a long time *however, 2014 was great). My hope is that corps keep entertaining me, which some still do, from top to bottom. I always want to love the Blue Devils, as they used to be one of my, if not my favorite drum corps. This show just doesn't do it for me, not even in the least. I'd love to see them, as well as every drum corps live, but that isn't too terribly feasible for a lot of people, so we watch online. I will hold on to my hope that I have every year: please let an awesome and entertaining show win. Sometimes that happens, sometimes it doesn't.

• Like 2